Oregon SB501 permit required to own guns, 20 rounds per month limit, bans mags over 5 rounds

Discussion in 'Firearm Legislation & Activism' started by Nick Burkhardt, Jan 10, 2019.

1. 41mag

41mag
    sunny Orygun
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

It's time to realize repetition of the Big Lie helps identify it for what it is.

Catherine1 and DuneHopper like this.
  2. Cactus31

Cactus31
    East Multnomah Co.

Does anybody w/ more experience w/ these early-on legislative SBs know the likelihood of this passing (SB501) as currently written?

It seems a blatent violation of the 2nd Amendment AND Oregon's own right to keep/bear law.

Is this likely to be edited in the future if it survives to include a grandfather clause for magazines and perhaps an increase to a number higher than 5.

Do 5 round AR mags exist? How the hell can a Glock 19 be made to comply?

Are these people aware of how absurd this legislation really is?

I've invested a lot of money - as have many of us - into standard-capacity AR mags, and I'm not sure how theh can legally violate both the Takings Clause and Ex Post Facto laws w/ this atrocious SB.

Anyway - if anybody w/ more experience w/ this stuff can answer my questions, I sure appreciate your help.

nammac and bbbass like this.
  3. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Yep... 5rd metal mag I bought for target shooting:

100_1402.JPG

nammac likes this.
  4. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    (2- " Q " -+1)
    Civility is a two way street. Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Perhaps I can answer this or help.

First, with a Dem majority nearly anything can pass by, SB941 as and example is unconstitutional, has resulted in zero convictions.
    The language its self is seldom the issue, as if it is unconstitutional they will pass it anyways. Thats why Rallies are useless. The Left is not listening, doesn't care.
    The capacity issue is the game they want you to look at, as basically every firearm that is semi-auto has more then 5rds other then some hunting rifles.
    Now with a breath taken, it wont pass as many of those Senators own firearms, and there is no exclusion built in, so that means everyone, including off duty Leos. Its good news and bad, they went so far that it wont pass and is so wide its unenforceable.
    Of course the NRA and OFF no it has no chance in passing, but when it doesn't pass they will say its a win. A few laws come up so over the top even the Dems no its not possible. Is there a chance? Yes, but its very unlikely.
    What is needed is protest, but wont happen as gun owners are just to passive to know what losing a civil right means.
    It not a joke at all, and is something very few if any unerstand and are even taking serious.

In 2019 we will have laws that may pass that are going after firearm types and pass or fail they are being considered, because
    Dems think why not, Oregon firearm owners are weak and it shows. So they are going ti hit hard with the election momentum.

Catherine1, JackFrost, bbbass and 3 others like this.
  5. Hayshaker

Hayshaker
    Irrigon

BECAUSE THEEY CAN

Catherine1 likes this.
  6. Jcon268

Jcon268
    Gresham

Wow my fingers hurt from typing so much - just sent off a nice, well written letter to those 2 listed. Hope they read it. I prefaced the letter by saying "they likely wouldn't take the time to read it through" just to hopefully motivate them to want to read all of it...

7. E4mafia

E4mafia
    super secret

Gives me an idea. Preface it with BS material that they would want to hear and read only to open the body and find its actually a big F'U letter on why its unjust.

Start with something like how you want to see a new tax on something or a social issue you think needs amended, you know just watch CNN or other lefty leaning outlets and make a sort of click bait letter. Imagine, someone is going to be all excited foaming at the mouth only to be let down once they see the actual content haha.

Jcon268 likes this.
  8. GlockFan1990

GlockFan1990
    Clackamas

I’ll just say I’m a progressive liberal and so are all my friends but we own semiautomatic firearms and don’t want our rights infringed. :D Do you think that might work? I might even say I voted for them when I quite clearly didn’t.

9. E4mafia

E4mafia
    super secret

Dont forget to mention your friends in boulder colorado and NJ who feel the same way. Completely mess with them from the inside out.

bbbass and GlockFan1990 like this.
  10. GlockFan1990

GlockFan1990
    Clackamas

Lol

11. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt
    NE Oregon

12. Hawaiian

Hawaiian
    Tigard Oregon

WTF? Even NY backed off its proposed 7 round mag limit realizing it was too restrictive to pass a legal challenge. The legislators submitting this bill have little intellectual knowledge of the constitution and the protections it provides. This is a polite way of saying, they are dumber than dirt.

13. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Ebullient Moderator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

Mother of God! The unholy combination of unmitigated idiocy and unconstitutionality that this insanity represents leaves me at a loss of words. And those that are coming to mind would not be fitting for this venue.

14. INTJ

INTJ
    Oregon

I want say “thank you” to the forum for this thread. I pretty much stay off forums anymore. However I was pissed yesterday when I received an NRA/ILA alert about the proposed bills. I came back here to see what others thoughts were.

I think one of the best things we can do is to e-mail our state reps and senators. Be short, to the point, and respectful. No insults, arrogance, or condenscending tone—you know, pretty much the opposite of what is normal in forums. ;) Not every liberal is anti-gun and not every democrat is liberal—that is often hard for me remember.

Next we should support organizations that fight for us, even if the don’t do everything exactly the way we like. The NRA has probably done more to preserve 2A rights than any other organization, period.

For this fight I am ging to join OFF. I probably should have done this in 2007 when I retired from the USAF and got a job back home in Oregon.

GlockFan1990, nammac and Pete F like this.
  15. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Ebullient Moderator Staff Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

Spent a long, hard day taking care of things on our land, so didn't do much "in the office" work. Tomorrow I'm going to draft up a letter to my state representative, who is a pro-2A guy, to see what we can do. And cut a check to OOC. I've already renewed OFF for the year, all four souls in this household are NRA members, and my ASA membership should be current.

16. Cactus31

Cactus31
    East Multnomah Co.

Thank you. I guess I'm 'using' your answer as a form of confirmation bias, and I know that you're correct. I don't think a piece of law this widely over-reaching and shoddily written (w/ evidently very little research) could ever pass - but we're all aware of horror stories in 'other places'.

I frankly was overjoyed to see the judge in CA give a 'stay of execution' to standard capacity magazines down there, and on the other hand, horrified to see that NJ and NY are over-the-top hostile toward firearm owners.

Thank you for your reply.

17. ob1

ob1
    46th parallel

Beat me to it GameMaster....

Folks, we need to stop making things easier for the other side. Why give them the keys to the castle ?
    Can they get technical information on their own ? ​

Sure they can and are working on that every day.​

Do they always start with a rudimentary knowledge of firearms technology ?
    Reading some initial drafts of their work product suggests no.
    Most of us already take it for granted that our forum posts are routinely read by those who would strip away our rights. They must be better than a "Cliff Notes" guide to a technical manual for them. Where better to get the best information on their oversights if not from us ?

Remember the Brady Bill ?​
    They thought they had ended the evil black rifle by killing the flash hider and bayonet lug, until they saw "compliant" models coming out, making their ban efforts a joke.. They learned that lesson from us before the "Sunset" ever came. You can bet that there are numerous pimple faced Bloomberg funded "researchers" working to prevent that from happening again.

Know thy enemy...don't assist them. Read Saul's Rules.....

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  18. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    (2- " Q " -+1)

Good stuff, maybe send a copy to OFF, as they are clueless of these facts

19. ob1

ob1
    46th parallel

Well that would definitely be a sorry statement on the state of our hopes if the anti's are better versed on the comments we make here than OFF is. Perhaps a flickering remnant of optimism on my part. :eek: Thanks for the comment though.

20. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    (2- " Q " -+1)

OFF once served a purpose, and even commanded influence and power. They never learned to adapt to the fight.
    Why the opposition now uses flamethrowers, and Napalm, OFF used stones and sticks. I know people think I am bashing them all the time. I am not, they are just ill equipped to fight true left liberals. Maybe cause Kevin is getting too old and is disconnected from what is really going. He is always surrounded with like minded people and that may be his downfall. My fear is people thinking they will help save rights, and they wont. Having a false hope is not good and we keep doing it.

Catherine1, bbbass, nammac and 2 others like this.