JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
KATU news reported tonight that the new bill requiring background checks is only for handguns.
One of their reporters was in a Hillsboro gun store and the store owner was stating that he couldn't let potential customers handle a gun until they were cleared by a background check.
That's a new one about handguns only. The news almost always screws up the story at first though. I wouldn't trust that info yet!

Will this bill in any way affect OUT OF STATE HUNTERS? Wondering if they would have to do any type of a registration before bringing weapons into the state for hunting season's. Hmmm, $$$$$$$$

BOYCOTT OREGON!!!

Will this bill in any way affect OUT OF STATE HUNTERS? Wondering if they would have to do any type of a registration before bringing weapons into the state for hunting season's. Hmmm, $$$$$$$$

BOYCOTT OREGON!!!
It is about "transfers" of possession from one person to another.

As long as you maintain possession of your firearms (i.e., your firearms are not transferred to another person's possession) then no BGC is required just because you moved the firearms from one state to another, temporarily or permanently.

The details of what a "transfer of possession" means will determine what the law covers; does it cover a person handling a handgun in a gun shop before buying it? I doubt that, but it might. Typically "possession" means ownership, maybe possession of something without the owner being present (e.g., borrowing a firearm), but not simple handling or even shooting of a firearm if the owner is present.

We shall see.

As for Sheriffs refusing to enforce the law - it will be the State Police that enforce this, and they take their orders from the governor. When you go to buy or sell a firearm, keep that in mind; the person you are dealing with may be a LEO who is conducting a sting, or they may be someone from the media.

I still think there is legal cause for challenge this bill in court. There is a substantial Revenue and Expense to this bill, but both a Revenue statement was left off the bill intentionally to allow for the addition of the "emergency clause." Oregon law says ANY bill that provides an increase in revenue (i.e. a cost to taxpayers) can not have an emergency clause attached to it. Presumably, this is because it prevents the legislature from charging the people without a chance to referendum the proposed bill.

I you use the standard old lie of 40% (coming back to bite them in the bubblegum in this case) that would be roughly 115,000 checks. That equates to 1.15 million dollars of additional revenue. HOWEVER, according to this fiscal impact statement on cost they only expect to actually perform 20,000 more background checks per year (despite Colorado only seeing an additional 13,000, even with a higher population). That still is 200,000 dollars in increased revenue that is paid by shops to the state police then deposited in the state's General Fund.

Prozanski intentionally misrepresented the economic impact of his bill in order to circumvent Oregon law. I'll be writing a letter to the state attorney general asking for this matter to be investigated and Prozanski to be indited on misconduct (ORS 162.415) charges.

One of the clauses of the law I noticed; the FFL puts the firearm on their books.

This means that when the FFL ceases to be an FFL (goes out of business, surrenders license, is deceased), that those books of inventory will go to the ATF, who in turn puts them into a database.

So - this is not only state registration, this is federal registration. Even if you believe that the state will not keep their records for more than 5 years (yeah, right), the feds will have your firearms on record.

So here we see the real gotcha. Get all the states to enact these kinds of laws and now you will have de-facto federal registration without a federal law being passed. Pretty sneaky if you ask me.

Now what? This man's Goodbye Commiefornia letter is now what. Now it's Goodbye Commiforegon.

"I've been waiting 20 years for a chance to do this. I hope the mods will let it stay.

To the State of California and its Elected Officials,

This letter is to finally be able to say "Good riddance to bad trash" and to shake the dust of your land off of my heels. I grew sick and tired of your infringements on the Liberty of The People and I have left for a State that still respects personal freedom. I sold all my assets here and have moved my family to Northern Idaho. We will not be coming back. You will get no more income, sales, or property taxes from us. No more user fees or permit application costs. I will avoid doing business with the State in every way possible. It wasn't an easy job, but you folks did make it an easy choice. I refuse to trust those with my money, who don't trust me with my guns.

I am a native Californian, born here in 1960 in Inglewood and lived 33 years my life in the now tarnished "Golden State" with only occasional trips outside of it for vacations and to find our new home. I have watched the land of opportunity, the one my grandparents moved to to escape the Dust Bowl, turn into a state of oppression. A place where success is now penalized and mediocrity is celebrated. Where producers are punished and parasites are promoted, criminals coddled and citizens crucified. Even the "Governator" was no match for the appetite of the liberal beast from Sacramento!

It's been 20 years now since the celebration of crossing over the state line into Oregon on our way north but you folks still haven't caught on. You didn't learn from the Roberti-Roos AWB and have restricted the right to keep and bear arms even further! So as I live in my new home, where those with firearms are not viewed as freaks, I will do everything I can to encourage like minded people to do the same, because you don't deserve us. I know they won't all go to Idaho, some will embrace Texas, Wyoming & Arizona for others, and Kentucky or Tennessee for yet more. But everyone of us that "walks to freedom" will make it that much harder for you to continue the idiocy of the course you've set in motion. You will raise taxes and fees and more will leave. You will tighten the fist of oppression by yet more restrictive gun laws and property use/environmental conditions, and more of us will slip through your fingers. When the producers are gone, the parasites will have nothing to feed off of anymore.Your social dystopia WILL cause the implosion of the progressive dream.

In the meantime, I will watch the collapse from a distance outside the field of debris. The Democratic People's Republic of California will have a place in history, and it won't be a good one. But it will be a lesson for those who have eyes to see and ears to hear.

Good luck to those who remain, y'all are going to need it.

Sincerely
Brian K. Welch/NorIDhunter"

Fair Use source: http://walkingtofreedom.com/forum/index.php?topic=268.0

as an 07 ffl there is nothing in the bill that states that I have to do the transfer, and I have chosen not to do any F-F transfers. the only ones that I will do are required IE gun show sales, gun sales from my shop and transfers from out of state for my regular customers. If anybody knows of a list of dealers that are doing the same let me know.

There are about 100 threads on 941 so I could have fully missed this one

What are our local gun shops / vendors on this board / planning to do about the private party transfers ?

I have seen some speculation - some of it I would speculate will be true - high price if they don't want to do it.

But it might be nice to start a list of what we know, when we know it.

I am sure that with ~ Monday August 10 as an implementation many LGS are consulting with their legal advisers on how to proceed and we may not have any indication until July.

But, if you hear of someone saying their plans - perhaps to continue as they do today
could you post that information?

Thanks,

I will start the list on the shops that will NOT do any F-F transfers to support this bill. other shops might raise there fee high enough that no one will use them. I chose to NOT to do them at all.
Oregon Precision Arms.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top