JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, so, you have a gun and a suspect, how do you prove when the deal happened? A text message isn't going to have serial numbers attached to it, it's flimsy as a tin shack in a wind storm, and won't stand up any better. It's not proof of a meeting, or a transaction, simply that a conversation took place.

The problem with laws like SB 941 is that they require either documentation or one party willing to sell both parties out in order to effectively prosecute. If I can say I bought the gun I was caught with before the cutoff date, and avoid both an extra charge and getting the local illegal gun dealer arrested, why would I out us?

The saddest part, is some people call laws like this "common sense". o_O

A single text message isn't as incriminating as... "hey do you still have that glock for sale?" "thanks I love this glock" "hey do you have that rifle you showed me? I'll come by to pick it up". Or you can even check the phone history of the buyers bragging to their friends "hey i just bought this glock today, lets go test it out" etc. Your phones are beacons.

You match all the text messages and phone calls to other phones that match felons with criminal history. You can even match up the messages that specifically The burden of proof is to find a way to prove that the private dealers intentionally sold firearms to known felons in the first place. SB 941 gets rid of the grey area that allows these deals to continue. You can prattle on about how there are plenty of ways to work around this but in general, criminals wouldn't be criminals if they were super intelligent in the first place. In general this law does now make it criminal to deal under the table. It may not specifically prevent these deals from happening because they will just be conducted on the black market however you would be shocked at how easy it is to trace a firearm back to its original owner.

SB 941 does nothing.......bottom line. Most Orygun counties do not have the money to prosecute. DA will not fill charges for lesser crimes............no money. "Lame County" turns criminals loose every day.......no money.

Foreverlost,

SB 941 does nothing.......bottom line. Most Orygun counties do not have the money to prosecute. DA will not fill charges for lesser crimes............no money. "Lame County" turns criminals loose every day.......no money.

Foreverlost,

Actually you're wrong. http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2014/01/federal_indictment_in_portland.html

This was a case that ended up yielding a large number of private dealers who were providing firearms to felons. Unfortunately they couldn't prosecute these guys that provided these individuals firearms but they did end up dealing drugs which they were primarily charged with. There were 2 individuals who got away because they couldn't prove they were selling guns. Now that SB 941 is in place people like this can be charged. Don't tell me the state of Oregon doesn't have money for federal crimes.

I'll be the first one to admit how ridiculously easy it is to have someone straw purchase but I also have enough common sense to know how even easier it is to illegally buy a firearm online through private sales as a felon.

But what about those that hold a CHL and/or a C&R license? Do you think that these people need to have a BGC done for every firearms transaction considering they have passed the background checks to get the CHL or FFL?

Isn't this the same county that would rather have 10 guilty men free than send one innocent man to prison? Where is that philosophy when it come to gun rights?

Also the point is to keep guns out of the hands of criminals/felons/mentally ill. Forcing background checks on current gun owners is unnecessary as they already have at least one gun readily available if crime/death/murder is what they really wanted and intended to do.

But what about those that hold a CHL and/or a C&R license? Do you think that these people need to have a BGC done for every firearms transaction considering they have passed the background checks to get the CHL or FFL?

Isn't this the same county that would rather have 10 guilty men free than send one innocent man to prison? Where is that philosophy when it come to gun rights?

Also the point is to keep guns out of the hands of criminals/felons/mentally ill. Forcing background checks on current gun owners is unnecessary as they already have at least one gun readily available if crime/death/murder is what they really wanted and intended to do.

True and instead of complaining about poorly written laws, gun owners should advocate for passing amendments to poorly written laws. I wouldn't be opposed to two CHL owners trading or selling firearms without a background check because it's redundancy. LAWS are NEVER passed flawlessly. This goes across the board for every type of law.

True and instead of complaining about poorly written laws, gun owners should advocate for passing amendments to poorly written laws. I wouldn't be opposed to two CHL owners trading or selling firearms without a background check because it's redundancy. LAWS are NEVER passed flawlessly. This goes across the board for every type of law.

Problem is I tried that for the C&R. My senator told me right after the bill was submitted that she could do nothing since she was not on the committee. Then after it passed she said that it was too late to add an amendment (this was weeks before someone else added an amendment and a month before the session closed so she lied to me). The latest response was that I'd have to wait to the end of the summer to talk with her to consider an amendment for next year.

so 2 lies and a blow off to request an amendment. This was after being blown off to request an exemption for C&R even before the bill was submitted.

I think that sends a pretty clear message that there is absolutely no way we have any influence to request an amendment. This isnt an issue of just a law with flaws passed and they just need to adjust it.

Heres the interesting part you fail to see though. Now that they are arrested for illegally being in possession of a firearm, the police are now able to arrest the person who sold them the firearm without going through a background check. Essentially a straw dealer or another felon and you can continue to chase up the ladder. Prior to SB 941 if I sold a firearm to someone who was a felon, It was nearly impossible to be arrested for a crime. As long as you don't ask questions you can't be held liable. Before SB 941 you didn't even have to ask for ID. I could sell you a gun no questions asked. And you could easily be a felon. Now selling a gun holds you accountable to who's hands its ended up in unless you went through a legal process which absolves you of legal prosecution.

This law was always about targeting straw dealers. Enterprising individuals who wanted to make a profit off the used gun market but had no qualms with criminals ending up with guns.

So in an ironic twist. You're actually right. SB 941 is working. Someone is going to get a knock on their door for selling these felons guns.

And how do we know they legally/illegally purchased it? My guess is that those guns are likely on the "hot" sheet somewhere. Tracing it to the last registered owner means you might be returning someone's stolen property.

We had no say in what went down. The vote had already been decided before it went to the floor with the emergency clause we were screwed from the get go every democrat lied to us and rubbed our nose in it thinking they were going to yet again pull the wool over the commoner's eyes. You vote any of them back in office you are indeed the fool they were hoping you are

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top