JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is a great idea.

Fortunato: firearms test should be required for lawmaker who want to draft gun legislation

Washington State Sen. Phil Fortunato, R-Auburn, has introduced legislation in advance of the 2019 legislative session that would require lawmakers who draft gun legislation to be trained and pass a test.

"We have legislators drafting bills who have no idea how firearms work or any sense of firearm nomenclature," Fortunato said. "When decision makers want to restrict someone's constitutional rights, they shouldn't go off half-cocked."

Fortunato's bill would require legislators who want to draft legislation to pass the state's criminal justice firearms training for each firearm they wish to regulate. In addition to classroom and live-fire requirements, legislators would also need to pass range safety officer training, and be able to pass a knowledge test for calibers and gauges of firearms.

Read more at Fortunato: firearms test should be required for lawmaker who want to draft gun legislation | Auburn Reporter

Lord knows they need some education.

EDIT: link to the bill SB 5172 http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2019-20/Pdf/Bills/Senate Bills/5172.pdf

EDIT: I sent an email to my state senator with links to the story and the bill asking for a similar bill to be introduced in Oregon. I suggest anyone who has a pro-gun rights senator do the same.

Last Edited:
Best idea of 2019 by far!
What could possibly be the argument against this pure example of Know Which of What You Speak....
--I prefer ignorance ?
Needs a catchy phrase associated for sound bites and those of short term mental processing skills.
Like "no more rules made by fools"

Last Edited:
…and the test should be administered publicly, including practical, hands-on demonstration(s) as well as 'go up to the board- diagram & explain.'

BOSS

Phil is a good guy. I guess education into what a constitution is and what it means is out of the question. As to the concept of freedom, most legislators seem to believe that it is only freedom to legislate.

"But, but we just want to ban fully semi-automatic assault ghost guns with .30-caliber clips and a shoulder thing that goes up."

Actually, it is a great idea, both to prevent more tyranny, and the entertainment value. LMAO!

I'd like to see them pass the written test that immigrants take to become citizens. I bet not too many would pass civics, Am history, or Am gov 1o1.

Are they smarter than a 5th grader??? Noooo!

Conan O'Brien is probably as anti-gun as your basic Hollywood idiot, but Ted Nugent took him shooting a few years back. Ya' know what, Conan was pretty deadly with a Glock. As he bragged about that, Ted reminded him "All my gay friends shoot really well.."

So, instead of taking the skinheads bowling, maybe we should take the liberals shooting.

So, instead of taking the skinheads bowling, maybe we should take the liberals shooting.

It's been done, as in this video. Only one of them changed their mind about guns, in part because they did it stupidly letting newbies shoot powerful guns in order to get the biggest reactions for the video.

I have taken many new shooters shooting and I only let them shoot .22LR revolvers, pistols, and rifles. Every one of them had a great time.

I'd like to see them pass the written test that immigrants take to become citizens. I bet not too many would pass civics, Am history, or Am gov 1o1.

Are they smarter than a 5th grader??? Noooo!
I'd bet that many natural-born citizens born in the past 30-40 years couldn't do that... that said, I'd like to see the Citizenship Exam made a requirement to register to vote, with an every-ten-year retake required to renew your registration. Maybe have it graded so the higher your passing score the higher office you're eligible to vote for...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top