Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SB 1551 Work Session Wed. Feb. 12

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by bnsaibum, Feb 10, 2014.

1. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Keep calling and emailing the Senate Judiciary Committee members. I will be sending 'Thank You's to Senators Close and Kruse. While we should definitely contact Senators Prozanski and Dembrow I believe there is no way they will change their minds. It might be beneficial to concentrate heavily on Senator Roblan. He seems to be the most susceptible of the three in many regards.

tiggers97 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. bnsaibum

bnsaibum Corvallis, OR Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Send some letters. Use these if you want;

Senator...,
    I am contacting you as an Oregon resident about SB 1551. Senators Prozanski and Dembrow have both stated that this bill will not create a firearms registry, and in this they are technically correct. They say it will merely expand the current system. Herein is their lie by omission, the current system DOES contain a registry. We heard from the OSP at last Thursday's hearing that they have 'procedures' in place wherein they destroy approved background check information after 10 days. This is not law and the procedures can be created or changed by them without Legislative approval. Indeed, all they have to do is follow ORS 166.412(7) directly and they can keep this information for 5 years.

Vote NO on this bill.
    [HR][/HR]
    Senator ...

I am urging you to use reason and critical thought when you evaluate your vote for SB 1551. If this bill passes it will be almost entirely unenforceable. I do not say this without valid reason. Currently it is legal for any law abiding citizen to sell legal firearms to another law abiding citizen in Oregon without a background check. What this means is that any firearm may have been sold without record to anyone else. How will any court be able to convict a person believed to be violating SB 1551 if it becomes law? In order to even know that this law had been broken: a) the parties involved would have to confess; b) a witness would have to come forth; c) a law enforcement officer would have to witness the transaction; or d) it would have to involve a firearm sold with the required background check after the law went into effect. This would leave millions of current firearms in Oregon that could potentially be sold and traded without a background check contrary to such a law. There would be no way to prove a private transfer had taken place without a background check in any situation not falling within those stated above. The only way would be to register all current firearms.

Vote no on SB 1551.

tiggers97 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. tiggers97

tiggers97 United States Well-Known Member

Nice! We need to keep emailing this, or reminding/encouraging others to do so as well. You'd be surprised at the number of people who don't even know the senate is in session, much less SB 1551.