Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Say a Republican becomes new Prez. Can he Ex Action overturn anti gun laws like in Cali, DC, Conneti

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by Brutus57, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Let's say a Republican gets elected to White House. Can he then by executive action remove laws that are anti gun and anti 2A in states such as Conn., Cali, Illinois, etc.?

Brutus out

2. JRuby

JRuby St. Helens Oregon Well-Known Member

I thought all a president could do is enforce the law - not make or change laws.

pdx210 likes this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

That hasn't seemed to have impeded Mr. "I have a phone, and I have a pen" currently sitting in the oval orifice.

o_O:rolleyes:

4. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

No. Those are State Laws.

5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

I believe the SCOTUS is the only Federal appendage that could overturn a state law if it violated the Constitution... but THAT would be a process getting it up through the state system, then onto the SCOTUS docket.

6. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

true. And then that’s if the deem any law unconstitutional.... but they could also deem the law constitutional and set the precedence forever on defining the Second Amendment.

7. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

Or to NOT enforce the law. Didn't Obama tell the ATF to stop processing 4473 denial appeals?

decklin, nammac and Brutus57 like this.
  8. Cheby

Cheby Portland, OR Active Member

Meaningless. Trump is doing everything he can to make sure Hillary is the next president.

9. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

I keep having this recurring nightmare... Douchebag Donald clinches the nom, then he and his LLBFF Hildabeast jointly announce "we're forming a bipartisan ticket, no need for a silly election."

You know Bill Clinton ENCOURAGED him to run on the GOP ticket?

x2ndxall, ZigZagZeke and Patriot1668 like this.
  10. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

_trump_comic_book_pop_art_custom_text_yardsign-r350d0b1e01574339ad7f2b8948646871_fomuw_8byvr_324.jpg

11. Diamondback

Stubfingered Babyhands Vulgarian can kiss my ****. #CruzToVictory

Me, if I were elected I would "impound" any Federal funding to LEA in anti-gun states... Congress can order spending, but the Exec Branch can refuse ti disburse it. (See also Robert MacNamara on all manned-bomber and homeland-defense interceptor programs...)

Brutus57 likes this.
  12. USMC-03

USMC-03 Moscow on the Willamette (i.e. Portland, Oregon) Well-Known Member

That would almost be worth the price of admission just to know that Hillary is sitting at the same desk under which Monica "did not have relations" with her husband. Awkward...

coyotecaller and spookshack like this.
  13. Brutus57

No, it wouldn't.

I have grand kids approaching their teens and even 4 years of Hellary would be devastating for them.
    Brutus Out

14. Diamondback

Brutus, I get where you're coming from... kids are one of the big sticking points between me and my gal (while she regrets not having had them, she thinks it's too late at her age) and bringing kids into the world under a Hildabeast administration is a thought horrifying enough to make me consider conceding the position. :(

15. ZigZagZeke

ZigZagZeke Eugene Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer

I have said all along that I expect Trump to win the Republican nomination, and then throw the general election to Hillary. The fix is in.

Slobray likes this.
  16. Diamondback

Think I saw that, but "throw" implies there's even a token pro-forma "election".

For some reason, my nightmares are more "with our parties behind us, nobody will run against us, why waste time even HAVING one? Election canceled..."

17. techiej

techiej vancouver, wa Active Member

No - but the next prez is likely to appoint several SOCTUS judges which WILL impact the future of 2A in the USA.

18. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

And once the 2nd is gone a whole bunch of others to follow.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  19. Brutus57

You should consider adopting or foster parenting. Many a deserving child needing a good set of parents.

Brutus out

20. Diamondback

OT, @Brutus57 : I floated that one too, if we finally manage to co-lo (long-distance relationship) :) --rub is, she thinks she's too late in life even for that at 45. Granted, she'll have her hands full just with me... tradeoff of hyper-accelerated intellectual development at the cost of stunted personal growth--she likes to joke about "already adopting a kid, because of how I can go from 35 to 55 to 15 and back in seconds." Especially with the high maintenance of the autism spectrum... O.O