JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm with this guy

Scout

Absolutely!

1. Fully stocked RV
2. Credit Card
3. Cell phone
4. Satelite
5. Hot Chick (don't tell my wife)
6. Hot chick's friend (same as above)
7. Pizza place that will deliver to where I am
8. Lots of liquid refreshment

LOL! KOA you didn't say they had to fit in a lunchbox! LOL!!!!

This is from the OP/TS forum founder
The human body hasn't evolved that much in a few thousand years I assure you.

I'm not sure I'm buying this.You can see how different cultures handle different foods and such.Like American Indians not being able to process alcohol and white/european types can.We have had alcohol for ever,Native americans haven't.
Dairy products work the same with different cultures.The areas that have had good dairy products for centuries digest them better that those that don't.
Feed some bugs to your guests at your next party and see how many get sick.The Taiwanese guests won't have a problem.

We have evolved a lot over the last 2-3000 years or so. Our bodies have become adjusted to the food we can get all the time.The rest of the food isn't processed good and doesn't do much for us.

Now if you are one of those that eats everything they can get.Willing to try anything.You may survive longer than others.

Thanks for the link too

We have evolved a lot over the last 2-3000 years or so. Our bodies have become adjusted to the food we can get all the time.The rest of the food isn't processed good and doesn't do much for us.

Although I'm sure Wikipedia would disagree with me, this is not an example of evolution. This is an example of the adaptation of one species to the environment around them which is quite different.

"[ev-uh-loo-shuhn], –noun :change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift. "

Sorry for the mini-rant.

J

It's not the stuff, it's the skills. National Geographic had a show called <broken link removed> where a guy tried to live in the Yukon by himself for 50 days. He had a lot more than eight items with him. Not to ruin the surprise ending, but.... he didn't make it, and had to be pulled out. If I recall correctly, he was pretty emaciated.

Granted, the Yukon is a little more unforgiving than the Northwest, but I think this was filmed in the summer, so it's not as though he had the added challenge of winter survival.

It would also probably depend on when & where you were for the month. If I had to live in the Indian Heaven Wilderness during huckleberry season, next to one of the many lakes with plenty of trout, I'd probably make a pretty good run at it. If I was up high in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness (off-season from huckleberries) and not close to a lake with fish - probably not.

But, let's see - what would I take if limited to eight items? (I'm assuming clothing doesn't count in the list)

1) Mora, Puukko or some other fixed-blade knife 3"-4" - doesn't matter
2) Wool blanket
3) Paracord
4) Water bottle
5) Fish hooks
6) Fishing line
7) Metal pot
8) Blast-match or Fire Piston

I'd probably adjust this list if I thought about it more.

It's not the stuff, it's the skills. National Geographic had a show called <broken link removed> where a guy tried to live in the Yukon by himself for 50 days. He had a lot more than eight items with him. Not to ruin the surprise ending, but.... he didn't make it, and had to be pulled out. If I recall correctly, he was pretty emaciated.

Granted, the Yukon is a little more unforgiving than the Northwest, but I think this was filmed in the summer, so it's not as though he had the added challenge of winter survival.

It would also probably depend on when & where you were for the month. If I had to live in the Indian Heaven Wilderness during huckleberry season, next to one of the many lakes with plenty of trout, I'd probably make a pretty good run at it. If I was up high in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness (off-season from huckleberries) and not close to a lake with fish - probably not.

But, let's see - what would I take if limited to eight items? (I'm assuming clothing doesn't count in the list)

1) Mora, Puukko or some other fixed-blade knife 3"-4" - doesn't matter
2) Wool blanket
3) Paracord
4) Water bottle
5) Fish hooks
6) Fishing line
7) Metal pot
8) Blast-match or Fire Piston

I'd probably adjust this list if I thought about it more.

Keep in mind that on that show that poor guy couldn't actually hunt animals that weren't in season. He actually walked past a few different flocks of ducks and even made a comment that it sucked that he couldn't shoot. That said, it seemed to me that not only did he end up losing a lot of weight the mental side of things was really really hard on him. Honestly I think he could have done much better if was truly able to eat what he could find but the mental breakdown was pretty frightening to see as the show went along.

As for what I would take... not sure but I'm thinking that I'd put a slingshot or a .22 and ammo some where on that list.

-d

Keep in mind that on that show that poor guy couldn't actually hunt animals that weren't in season. He actually walked past a few different flocks of ducks and even made a comment that it sucked that he couldn't shoot. That said, it seemed to me that not only did he end up losing a lot of weight the mental side of things was really really hard on him. Honestly I think he could have done much better if was truly able to eat what he could find but the mental breakdown was pretty frightening to see as the show went along.

As for what I would take... not sure but I'm thinking that I'd put a slingshot or a .22 and ammo some where on that list.

-d

You raise a good point - does the survival situation assume you can do anything you want (like hunt out-of-season game) or are you just out there seeing how you would do (like Ed Wardle). The isolation is another factor - probably not many people have lived completely isolated from everyone else for an extended period of time (although, it sounds appealing at times....)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top