JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never understood why people want to film these animal encounters. What do they think they're gonna do, sue the cougar for pain and suffering? Shoot the damn thing, leave Instagram at home
I enjoy these films/vids of animal encounters... cheap thrills.

What the hell is his other hand doing?
He's prob playing with himself, which is what got the cougar all peeved.

We can learn several lessons in this encounter. 1) always pack going outdoors 2) Shoot with two hands for such a small target. Don't take your phone out to record when your life is in danger. He shot from one hand while holding his phone in the other. and missed.twice. 3) Don't let the cougar get so close. The guy just wanted a viral video and seems like he wanted the cougar to come close put his life in danger so he can get it on video.
Anybody else would have stopped that cougar's advance twice the distance back. He was hunting big game and also has a rifle. The article stated that the cougar was stalking him for 30 to 45 seconds before taking phone out to record. So, he let the cougar get close so he could record.

I had an encounter with two juvenile cougars several years ago and never heard the first one until it sneezed. I know that sounds funny but that's what it was doing. When it sneezed a second time I stood up from the stump I was sitting next to and saw it coming straight at me, ears pinned and tail down. A hip shot to the face stopped it for a couple of seconds as flipped and flopped but actually got up and took off into the reprod. The second one came at me from the up hill direction and was shot by one of the guys in the hunting party who was apologizing profusely because he was shooting in my direction but didn't know what else to do. We tracked them to the same tree in the reprod where they were both laying together. Both shot, one with my 7mm and the other with 300 winmag, still alive and growling. To this day I am known as Meow Mix when we deer hunt.

I'll try and get the picures posted.

This was in the Imnaha Unit.

Agreed. Some just think it's so cool, for sure to be able to show people what they been through. Gotta use their phones to illiterate a point or prove its correct. Which is a sad thing that people have lost the art of communication we used to have, it's called talking and storytelling.
they dont communicate anymore its all about likes, follows and shares. and when they lose some followers the go baszerk, suicide, shootings etc.

AND - just because this guy is a 'gun owner' doesn't mean he has the fortitude to kill something out of self defense. Heck maybe he has never shot anything before, game, varmints or even rodents.

If this is the case then he may not have the mental 'commitment' to shoot at something possibly attacking him.

I had an encounter with two juvenile cougars several years ago and never heard the first one until it sneezed. I know that sounds funny but that's what it was doing. When it sneezed a second time I stood up from the stump I was sitting next to and saw it coming straight at me, ears pinned and tail down. A hip shot to the face stopped it for a couple of seconds as flipped and flopped but actually got up and took off into the reprod. The second one came at me from the up hill direction and was shot by one of the guys in the hunting party who was apologizing profusely because he was shooting in my direction but didn't know what else to do. We tracked them to the same tree in the reprod where they were both laying together. Both shot, one with my 7mm and the other with 300 winmag, still alive and growling. To this day I am known as Meow Mix when we deer hunt.

I'll try and get the picures posted.

This was in the Imnaha Unit.

Smart phones can kill you or save you
You were lucky that you were armed and not alone.
A lesson from this video and your encounter. If you were in the woods alone and had your ear phones on listening to ? You wouldn't had heard it and both cats would have been on top of you. That guy in video was too busy recording that he could have lost his life letting the cat come so close and missing both shots.

A lesson from this video and your encounter. If you were in the woods alone and had your ear phones on listening to ? You wouldn't had heard it and both cats would have been on top of you. That guy in video was too busy recording that he could have lost his life letting the cat come so close and missing both shots.

Why shoot in the dirt? If it's getting that aggressive with you more than likely it'll do it to someone else too.shoot to kill! We need to bring back hound hunting
When you listen to his breathing I am not at all sure he was aiming for the dirt. Suspect he was aiming for the cat and missed both times. Being me? I would have tried to scare it off, would hate to shoot one of those BUT, if it had gotten that close to me? I would not have been walking backwards and I would have shot the cat. If he had tripped and fallen over backwards? Cat would have pounced on him. When someone later found his phone they would get to see what happened to the guy.

and that is why, when my wife lost site of the cat (about 150 yards away and headed her way) this last weekend, she moved and let me know,(it was down slope were i could not see it from my side of the ridge.

I don't think anyone out there can say for a fact that they would be a crack shot in a situation like this with your adrenaline running rampant.
Certainly NOT me but, I would NOT be trying to hold my damn phone in one hand as I was trying to fire on the cat and walking backwards all at the same time. Once the cat got that close to me I would be using both hands on the pistol and move at the cat after each shot. If I did miss and it took off that would be fine with me as I would hate to have to kill it. Also do not want it to make a meal out of me though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top