JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The nice aspect of this revolver is that it can take a nice Underwood .44 Special 200-grain Bulldog that leaves the barrel at 975 fps and generates 422 foot-pounds of energy It is a Speer Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point.

That'll leave a mark.

There is no doubt that the 4" (actually 4.25") will give up sight radius and speed compared to a 6-8", but I don't think you can get more power in this size package any other way. For me it's a good packin size, but the extra couple of inches would really calm down the recoil!!

Thanks.
I used to know that, but forgot. Maybe I won't this time.:D
And the Magna was an improvement on the stocks that were flush with the frame and had the half circle at the top, correct?
Correct. As far as packing goes I carried a 6-1/2" pre 29 for most of my time as a LEO. I used a Hoyt Front Break Holster and found it an excellent way to Carry. It's a High Rise design that allows the user to still wear a seatbelt and carry the longer Barrel. I could draw before exiting the vehicle which can be very important. A seatbelt was also very important especially when traveling above 100mph! You will have to shop the Used Market because Hoyt isn't around any longer but his holster design still is.

The nice aspect of this revolver is that it can take a nice Underwood .44 Special 200-grain Bulldog that leaves the barrel at 975 fps and generates 422 foot-pounds of energy It is a Speer Bonded Jacketed Hollow Point.

That'll leave a mark.

Yup! And is a great way to go if one doesn't reload.
I'm not above trying all kinds of things, but will probably do it in a Mag case.

Something just dawned on me. When I said I bought this gun to carry I didn't mean as a concealed gun or a daily carry gun.
This is what I'm going to pack when I walk away from the truck and head out into the woods.

Having a 41 Mag for years I got used to marking them. A shorter case would be more distinct.
In my experience-----------------
The shorter 44 special will leave a ring in the cylinder after shooting. After several rounds of
the shorter 44 special rounds chambering the longer 44 mag rounds will meet resistance.
This can cause the extraction of the 44 mag loads difficult.:oops: So I have gone to using
44 mag cases for light loads. My favorite 44 mag loads. 240 SWC + 7 gr. UNQ-- Target load.
180 JHP + 26.5 gr. H110 magnum load----300 Hard Cast with gas checks +13 gr. Blue Dot----
BEAR load:eek::eek: As always check all load data.;)

In my experience-----------------
The shorter 44 special will leave a ring in the cylinder after shooting. After several rounds of
the shorter 44 special rounds chambering the longer 44 mag rounds will meet resistance.
The Ring is simply carbon residue. It's the same way when the .38 Special is fired in a .357 Magnum. A couple of strokes with the correct borebrush and the Ring is gone. It's not really anything to worry about.

In all honesty, I'm sure I'll do like always. Work up one load I like and call it good.
In the 41 Mag it was a boat load of H110 behind a Hornady 210gr XTP. Before that Blue Dot and a 220gr Cast. (hated scraping lead, though)
In the 357 is was about as much blue Dot as you can cram in a case and a Hornady 158gr XTP. (not really. It was measured)
The 500 was H110 at about 3/4-7/8 max with a 400gr Speer (it was just for plinking, ya know?).

Horsepower is really cool, but you have to be able to use it. The ability to tune the load is priceless.

The Ring is simply carbon residue. It's the same way when the .38 Special is fired in a .357 Magnum. A couple of strokes with the correct borebrush and the Ring is gone. It's not really anything to worry about.
I used to shoot 38s and then 357 in my Model 65 and Trooper 3 (Should've kept that one, huh?) and 38 Special and 357 Mag in my 357 Max for fun, then stuff the long case of the Max in there and blast away.
I believe it can be an issue under the right circumstances, but nothing that's ever caused me grief. I spose it's all in how many short cases are there before a long one.
It is nice to have options.

In the 357 is was about as much blue Dot as you can cram in a case and a Hornady 158gr XTP.
How about "Dryer Loads"???:eek: So much powder in the case you set the loading tray on the
dryer to settle down the powder enough to seat the bullets.:D:mad: I talk about my special
"Dryer Loads" and everyone starts moving away for me on the firing line??:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I've also fired .32 S&Ws & .32 S&W Longs in a Wheel Gun chambered in .32 H&R Magnum without an issue. I like to more or less match the case to the load. Especially with the .44 I don't load the Special brass up to the Magnum level even though it Can be done.

Having a 41 Mag for years I got used to marking them. A shorter case would be more distinct.

Love the .41 Magnum. The newer .41 Special wildcat isn't bad either. I would like to see a 210-grain .41 Caliber Extreme Cavitator running at 950 fps (420 foot-pounds of energy). This would make an excellent self-defense load that would admirably "accomplish the task" and attain perfect controllability/efficacy.

I've also fired .32 S&Ws & .32 S&W Longs in a Wheel Gun chambered in .32 H&R Magnum without an issue. I like to more or less match the case to the load. Especially with the .44 I don't load the Special brass up to the Magnum level even though it Can be done.

I am also a devotee of the .32 S&W Long. By golly, it is accurate and with the newer projectile (Lehigh copper Extreme Cavitator) it could place itself with the .38 S&W Special in performance. (A .32 H&R Magnum would be even better)!

Scored one a while back at Sportsmans in Salem.
69target.jpg
Needed a few tweaks, but now it's a shooter.
IL is a non issue. Just ignore it.
69.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews