JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your logic is still doesn't wash, because Smith and Wesson is still making "K" Frame .357 Magnum Firearms. If they were as BAD as you say Smith and Wesson certainly would have stopped Building such a product. The "L" Frame has its place in the lineup but it hasn't replaced the "K" by any stretch of the imagination.:):):)

Point out where I said they were all bad, would ya?

I have always wanted to see S&W build an "L" frame .44 S&W Special.

A lot like the Ruger GP100 44 special. I kind of wondered of this 44 Mag was a "one up" on the Ruger. I know when I saw the Blackhawk Flattop in 44 Special and then the GP100, I was sorely tempted.
I'd say if you were set on the 44 Special, and set on S&W, just buy the 69 a pretend it said Special on the barrel. :)

Me, I look at it as a smaller, lighter and of course, less powerful version of the 500 5" I used to have. Loved that gun but I think it was as heavy as a rifle! Well, not really but it was heavy enough that belt carry was difficult.

While I like my 1991 Charter arms (Bridgeport, Connecticut) Stainless Steel Bulldog in .44 S&W Special, there's something about an "L" frame .44 S&W Special that appeals to me. The Bulldog is strong enough to handle fairly stout .44 Specials. The heavier S&W or the Ruger can handle the heavier .44 Special loads that border on Magnum pressure levels. This could prove quite versatile in the appropriate settings.

Perhaps the Model 69 is the way to go.

I know I posted this picture before of my 686-1 L Frame. I kept the original wooden hand grip and put on an rubber pachmayr grip instead. I need to shoot it more since I am pretty rusty with a revolver anymore with 357 magnum loads.

SW686-1.jpg

I don't think it stopped raining all day, but I couldn't wait any longer.
Shooting American Eagle 240gr hollow point ammo it was shooting pretty well to point of aim. I only shot it on paper once because the water and the bullets just chewed the paper up. Then I shot two more cylinders worth at tin cans.

This thing is just what you would imagine. A 44 Mag in a small package and it kicks like hell. The recoil is very quick and sharp, especially right in the web of the hand. Not as bad as the J frame 357, but close. Sharper than most 500 rounds without the big, knock you on yer butt push. The single action trigger is sweet and the double is very smooth. I'm sure it will get even better as time goes on.
I'll acquire brass, buy some dies and load for this. Might even be the revolver to revisit cast bullets with.

Loving every minute of it! I would like to see how it would shoot with 238-grain 99% lead, 1% tin, 1% antimony bullets loaded to about 1050 fps yielding about 587.64 foot-pounds of energy. As long as it has a 2-grain copper gas check it should shoot cleanly and hit hard while remaining controllable. These would be inexpensive, easy to load and effective for the purpose load. "Old school" yes, but undoubtedly efficient.

That revolver gives a new meaning to the phrase "old-school cool". ;)

I love it!

I had this pair on my 686+. I do kind of like the looks of that Bantam grip, too. They don't cover the back of the grip frame, but I think the gun fits my mitts better that way.
P1010002.JPG

I like 180 or 200 grain bullets for my 44mag. I load at the 'starting load'
of the reloading manual.;) Less recoil and easier to shoot. I like H110
for magnum loads. Unique for cast bullet light target loads.:D Congrads
on your new wheel gun.:p:p:p:p:p

I like 180 or 200 grain bullets for my 44mag. I load at the 'starting load'
of the reloading manual.;) Less recoil and easier to shoot. I like H110
for magnum loads. Unique for cast bullet light target loads.:D Congrads
on your new wheel gun.:p:p:p:p:p

Thanks!
You just picked two of my favorite powders. For Magnum loads nothing beats H110 that I've ever seen (WW296, same o, same o)

If you can find a set of Grips that cover the backstrap and are a bit wider I think you'll find they are more comfortable. That's the whole idea behind the Target Grips that came Standard on the Model 29.

The ones on it do that, but still feel a bit long and "pointy", especially in the web of my hand. Even though they don't cover the backstrap, the ones I showed above fit my hand so well on the round butt frame that I'll try a set. It's only about $25 so it's not an expensive gamble.

Was that the Magna Grip?
No, the Magna is also called the Service Stocks. They are Standard on the Model 10. The early Target Stocks were sometimes called "Cokes" because they have a palm swell. They cover the Front Strap and extend below the bottom of the frame. Take a look at the "Dirty Harry" gun, it came with Targets.

I feel you loose a lot with the shorter barrel.

There is no doubt that the 4" (actually 4.25") will give up sight radius and speed compared to a 6-8", but I don't think you can get more power in this size package any other way. For me it's a good packin size, but the extra couple of inches would really calm down the recoil!!
No, the Magna is also called the Service Stocks. They are Standard on the Model 10. The early Target Stocks were sometimes called "Cokes" because they have a palm swell. They cover the Front Strap and extend below the bottom of the frame. Take a look at the "Dirty Harry" gun, it came with Targets.

Thanks.
I used to know that, but forgot. Maybe I won't this time.:D
And the Magna was an improvement on the stocks that were flush with the frame and had the half circle at the top, correct?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top