JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Coyotes are everywhere, all the time.

Very recently I was part of a funeral detail for a Veteran. As the first rifle volley sounded, a coyote jumped out of the hedge at the perimeter of the cemetery and hauled arse! This is the second time I've witnessed such a thing during a funeral. Gives the folks a chuckle during an otherwise sad occasion.

She was probably told it was O.K. to shoot them if they were actually in the process of attacking her pets. That was probably interpreted as "just shoot them". There isn't any provision in Portland for people to pop coyotes as pest control.

And yeah, we have them where I live. My dogs had a face to face with one in the back yard a couple of months ago.

"Texas governor Rick Perry says he needed just one shot from his laser-sighted pistol to take out a coyote that was menacing his dog during an early morning jog near Austin."

This happened a few years back.

No one was upset...except the coyote...

I'd like to see some Northwest guv do the same, but of course it'll never happen...

"Texas governor Rick Perry says he needed just one shot from his laser-sighted pistol to take out a coyote that was menacing his dog during an early morning jog near Austin."

This happened a few years back.

No one was upset...except the coyote...

I'd like to see some Northwest guv do the same, but of course it'll never happen...

I'd take your Governor over our any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Exactly. That is one thing u don't want to mess with in this town. Poeple are psycho mall cop types here.

For example: I've had poeple "turn me in" to Portland city for having too many cars (there is nothing illegal about that. I've set my used motor oil at the curb (as u are supposed to do for recycling) and bike riders get all offended and have told me they are going to get it tested. I said "knock yourself out buddy!"

I've had me and my neighbors called in due to parking on the parking strip. The courteous thing to do on the narrow road is park up a ways so traffic can get by. But psycho mall cop types will turn you in for that. This place is totally nuts that way. Most poeple here have zero common sense, are totally anti gun, and totally anti car.

These kind of stories show a sad side of humanity. When E Germany fell years later I read some report claiming the Stasi had said they were "successfully able" to get something like 35% of the population to inform on each other. Of course making their job far easier. Of course have no idea if true but from what I see in daily life I suspect it may have been at least close to the truth. :mad:

She was probably told it was O.K. to shoot them if they were actually in the process of attacking her pets. That was probably interpreted as "just shoot them". There isn't any provision in Portland for people to pop coyotes as pest control.

And yeah, we have them where I live. My dogs had a face to face with one in the back yard a couple of months ago.
Now that I could easily believe. I know if a dog is attacking my dog while I am holding the leash I would shoot it. Would not care if dog was "wild" or not. Problem is in her re telling that I am afraid someone will then take that as legal advice and try it. I guess if they do they have only themselves to blame.
I know here Eagles are famous for killing pets and many seem to be shocked when they hear it. One co worker lost 2 little dogs to one but she does live out in the "country". Another co worker's daughter got to watch one swoop down and snatch her little dog while she was out walking it with no leash. While back one nest has one of those internet camera's that caught one of the parents feeding a cat to the babies. Don't know if it was pulled as if of course stirred a lot of people up even thought there was warning about what was on the tape.:oops:

Where I live we get :
Coyotes...
Eagles...( the bird , not the band...:D )
Owls of various kinds...
Skunks...
Raccoons...
Deer...
And the occasional Bear or Mountain Lion...
That decide to roam thru town , in and out of yards and farm fields.
All of the above sure can do some damage to crops , gardens , garbage / recycle bins and even take out pets and small farm animals.

I tend to have a live and let live attitude towards wildlife...even though I am a avid hunter and pet owner.
What I mean by this is...
Where I walk my dog...we have both river and a stretch of woodline access...lots of critters live there and share the dog walking space...I often see eagles and coyotes during the day time ...if they leave me alone then they will be left alone...
And while I don't want my cats to end up as a meal for them...my cats do go out and stay out for as long as they want...
All while running that risk of becoming a meal.
Life is a risk...and you can't have a full life without risk....even if you are a pet.

Now if I were to have a farm or depend on livestock to make my living...
I'd feel and operate a bit differently.
I have been invited out , by farmer friends , in the past to help dissuade the local coyotes from hanging around...and will do so again.
Andy

Now if I were to have a farm or depend on livestock to make my living...
I'd feel and operate a bit differently.
I have been invited out , by farmer friends , in the past to help dissuade the local coyotes from hanging around...and will do so again.
Andy
When I was young and lived in the SW it was the first time I got to spend some time around the dog that later became the Pitbull. People were moving farther and farther out into the country to have a little land but still be able to work in town. Used to do a lot of work for these people. There were lot's of the wild dogs, and even the big cats. These dogs at that time were about the size of a Cocker Spaniel. They were GREAT family dogs, great with kids. Left with access to the property at night they would not allow predators to get at the Chickens, goats, and such many of these folks had. With out them it was VERY hard to have any kind of livestock like this. Needed super good fencing, or a couple or 3 of these dogs. The predators were rightfully scared to come near them. Sadly we all know what these dogs have been turned into now. I am a dog lover and the sight of one of them puts me on high alert now sadly. Would imagine now days people living out that way have electronics to do what these dogs used to do for them.

The yotes in Seattle are almost single-handedly responsible for keeping the non-migratory Canadian goose population in check. As far as I'm concerned, they deserve a scratch behind the ear and a milk-bone for that.
The ones on the East side can eat lead, as it were.

The yotes in Seattle are almost single-handedly responsible for keeping the non-migratory Canadian goose population in check. As far as I'm concerned, they deserve a scratch behind the ear and a milk-bone for that.
The ones on the East side can eat lead, as it were.
That is a good result then. Several localities have in the past at least paid people to come with dogs trained to run them off, the Canada Geese that is. When I got the dog on the left in my avatar there was a ball field close to my home. Often when we would get there it would be covered with Canada Geese. The female on the right was not sure about them since they were twice as big as her. The male? Nope. I would take him off his leash and he went after them like a bullet. I often would laugh till my sides hurt. He got some great exercise, I got a great laugh, the damn birds would finally give up and go somewhere else to make a huge mess. Win win:D:D:D

I would be VERY damn careful about taking that advice. Know nothing about the laws there but the city is OK with people shooting in the city?
The only people in Portland who can fire a gun and not go to jail are the bad guys. You shoot at one and they'll nail you to the wall! I wouldn't ever unless it was attacking my children. A cat is property not a human. I like my guns, even the wet ones

The only people in Portland who can fire a gun and not go to jail are the bad guys. You shoot at one and they'll nail you to the wall! I wouldn't ever unless it was attacking my children. A cat is property not a human. I like my guns, even the wet ones

this is where a suppressed .22 would come in handy

or get a trap, and take it to the woods to neutralize

I hear coyotes all the time at night therefore I am always carrying when I am working on the yard. You just never know. My neighbors have seen the coyotes passing through parts of the neighborhood in packs in the morning too.

A suppressed .22 LR is way quieter when a pellet rifle. but getting turned in by a neighbor could be trouble last I heard anything that fires a projectile is prohibited in the city limits.

A suppressed .22 LR is way quieter when a pellet rifle. but getting turned in by a neighbor could be trouble last I heard anything that fires a projectile is prohibited in the city limits.
That's my understanding also. That goofball that was shooting pigeons w/ a BB gun in Portland got charged with the following: B97C9302-8690-4B5A-B95E-A5F62E7B1740.jpeg
Now granted the guy was a complete imbecile, but still, this was a case where a neighbor called the police and he was charged for shooting a BB gun. Get some whacko trying to defend "coyote rights" or whatever and you are going to be having a bad day, or week, or months.

Original thread for the above situation: Oregon - Don't be like this Lawyer - "Assault Rifle" on Balcony - Downtown PDX

That's my understanding also. That goofball that was shooting pigeons w/ a BB gun in Portland got charged with the following:
Now granted the guy was a complete imbecile, but still, this was a case where a neighbor called the police and he was charged for shooting a BB gun. Get some whacko trying to defend "coyote rights" or whatever and you are going to be having a bad day, or week, or months.

Original thread for the above situation: Oregon - Don't be like this Lawyer - "Assault Rifle" on Balcony - Downtown PDX
When we lived in the City here they did this several decades ago. I had no idea they had. Kids used to shoot airguns in our back yard all the time. Then one day I read in the local rag about a guy being arrested due to shooting at Starlings who were in his fruit tree's. When I looked it up sure enough, air guns were defined as a firearm. If one of my neighbors had called it in LEO's would have been at my door. To this day many are still shocked to hear this is done in MANY localities.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top