JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Perhaps next time... try making turtle soup! o_O

I'M KIDDING!!! :D

No I'm not!

OK, yes I am! :rolleyes:

I'm okay with the soup.
It's what I'd have done, and when it was done I'd have invited Stomper over to have a bowl.

But hey, whatever eases your conscience. I hope your shoulder gets to feelin' better.

Next time, fling the turtle. It won't hurt him.

I used to mess with snapping turtles when I was a kid back in Wisconsin. The big ones are definitely dangerous and can stretch their necks around to get you, way more than you would expect.

I used to mess with snapping turtles when I was a kid back in Wisconsin. The big ones are definitely dangerous and can stretch their necks around to get you, way more than you would expect.

I'm from Iowa and know what snapping turtles are. My grandfather taught me how to clean them. They are very good fried. When I was little I would play with the cut off head, it could still bite sticks. They are a reptile version of a pit bull and they get big. Saw one that fit in a garbage can but to big to get to the bottom. Keep them in clean water for a couple days and they taste much better.

In my traveling consulting gig days, I was in a guys office in Maryland. These were construction business's, so office was a relative term. There was a pond about 70 yards away and a snapping turtle was getting the geese and ducks on the pond. We saw it take a full Canadian goose and the guy swore up a storm.

He went over and got a Savage .308 out of the gun cabinet stuck it out the window, and dropped that turtle off a log. Sent his kid down there to get it and clean it out, invited me to eat lunch with them the next day. I passed.

The Western Pond Turtle is a pretty cool animal. We don't see many of them in southern Oregon but I have seen maybe two my whole life.

The ones to watch for are the Read-eared Slider and the Snapping Turtle. Those are invasive and should be treated like any invasive, "contact your local ODFW office" or whatever else you can think of.

I have a turtle story- in FL I saw a freshwater softshell turtle on my way to my bass hole, was maybe 50 yards from water in a cow pasture. These are greenish, leathery jobs with a snorkel-like nose. I decided to "help" it by hauling it back to the edge of the pond. I hadn't considered how far those beasts can reach their head around on that LONG neck! I didn't get bit but it was close- I put it down right then and there and made a vow not to help any more turtles unless they were in the roadway. Had I seen it coming back from the hole, it might have ended up as dinner!

Have you ever been driving in the deep SW and had about a billion Tarantulas cover the highway? You can actually skid on them, they're so thick!
Er......Didn't try to save any!

Good on ya, DT! I'm actually giving you a shout-out for this in my column at RedState tomorrow, thought it was just the kind of heart-warming moment the place needs with the acrimony of Campaign Season. :)

Have you ever been driving in the deep SW and had about a billion Tarantulas cover the highway? You can actually skid on them, they're so thick!

:eek:

Thats... that's why flame throwers and small nuclear weapons exist. Seriously.

And to the turtle savior OP - good on you. Good to have folks like you around.

That happened to me in N. Texas in the fall. When the night chill started to settle in they would gather on the pavement.
When I'd get home I'd have to use a broom and the hose to get them off the bumper, the grill and the splash pan.
They can really jump, and when there's enough of them on the road, it can get pretty greasy.

About a year later (after I came back to OR) I took my car in for some exhaust work. The underside still had 3-4 of their shriveled husks tucked away, and the exhaust guy was like WTF?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top