JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my seven year old son and I shared a very disappointing trip to the range the other day with his first rifle, a Red Rider bb gun. My experience with that gun as a youth was magical, but I have to say I think quality has dropped off so far that I was forced to jump to actual bullets. It only fired a bb half the time, and the trigger was so heavy my son could not pull it. Took him to the range with so much excitement, only to leave with his frustrated tears running down his face.

The second I got home I researched and bought what I felt would fix his broken relationship with shooting. Honestly, he told me he didn't want to go anymore, he was embarrassed.

Ended up going with the Savage Rascal .22lr. It has a camo stock and peep sight. I don't think I am exaggerating when I say, this gun saved my son's love for shooting.

Took it out to sight it in before he shot it and was super surprised! The trigger is actually really good, and the groups I was getting were totally unexpected. I left thinking every survivalist should have one of these in his pack.

Then I took my son out. He refused to go to the range, didn't want to feel embarrassed again, so we went into the woods. I brought a pad for him to lay down on. Can't even explain the tension I felt as he lined up on his target. Just really felt like if this didn't work he would be done with shooting forever. And then, there was a bang......and a hole three inches below the bull's eye perfectly in line. He looked up at me with the biggest smile, and wanted to know if he could shoot again.

Long story short, he wore out that target, and wanted to keep shooting until all 11 targets that we brought were worn out.

Seriously, off hand from more than 60 feet I shot in the bull, and was really impressed with this little rifle. Good quality, great accuracy, and the fun factor is there.

As a father myself, I'm very happy for you. I bought my 11 year old daughter and her 11 year old Step Sister a couple Savage rifles for their Birthday, they are only days apart and we celebrate them in one party. Savage has made one hell of a name for itself with their accuracy and affordability. the only thing I don't like about them is the need for tools to break them down for cleaning.

Good story and good gun. The rascals and crickets/chipmunks are a good bet for a first gun (especially for the smaller kids), but for the youth getting lankier and longer in the tooth, I almost always recommend a full-size gun with a shortened stock.

This creates a relationship with the gun that does not have to be relinquished later: either the stock can be restored to full length (when the kid approaches full length), or in the case of a popular economical model, a replacement stock can be purchased.

Having said that, my first .22 was a Winchester Model 67A: no provisions for scope mounting, no provisions for a peep. I learned the buckhorn and learned it well. Better sights came later on other (not better) guns. Over 52 years later (3 weeks ago), the very same little "Boy's Rifle" was a companion on a neighbor kid's very first hunt (note a level of hug previously reserved for Mom):

P5240285_zpsaeee3b84.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top