Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

savage model 99 stock

Discussion in 'Parts & Accessories Wanted' started by turbovr6jetta, Feb 25, 2011.

1. turbovr6jetta

turbovr6jetta Bellingham Wa Member

Im looking for a original stock for a model 99... also is anyone happens to have a barrel chambered in .308 i might be interested... along with a rotary mag for 308.. I would love to convert

2. Fumes

Fumes Wa. Active Member

There is a site that sells the stocks,might try to search I can't think what it is. I've all but given up on my 99, it has issues.

3. turbovr6jetta

yea I can find NEW stocks but I'm not that interested in one of those. I'd really like an original... what issues are you having? and what is is chambered in? if you've given up you might as well sell it to me for a reasonable price! :)

4. Fumes

Fumes Wa. Active Member

Mine's a 300.Having feeding issues and after soaking the receiver in thinner it still has problems with the rotory mag even though it seems like it's fine until you load it. That and the stock is cracked in the usual place on both sides. It's just a problem child but my Dad gave it to me so I'm not ready to sell it just yet.

5. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good possibility that someone at some point in time took the screw (carrier spindle head screw) out of the side of the receiver that keeps the plate (carrier spindle head) at the front of the magazine spool in place. If they did, the plate "un-wound" under spring pressure and will not feed the last rounds from the mag. If that's the case it's an easy fix.
    Remove forearm then remove the small screw from the left side of the receiver. It is the front one above the round counter. When you remove the screw, the Carrier spindle head will want to rotate clockwise (when viewed from the front) Don't allow it do to so, and instead, rotate it one full turn counterclockwise and then feed in the carrier spindle head screw back in place.
    I'll bet that this will fix the problem.
    I bought a Savage 99 in 308 last year that would accept all of the rounds into the magazine. When I went to shoot it, it would feed the first rounds from the mag, but would not rotate the last two into position to be pushed into the chamber. After tearing the gun down to check it out, this is what I found. Since the screw has nothing to keep it from being removed and is easily accessible from the exterior of the gun, I'd be surprised if this isn't a fairly common problem.
    Don't let that stop you from enjoying a good gun.

6. Fumes

Fumes Wa. Active Member

Thanks I'll take a look at it.

7. turbovr6jetta

yea what orygun said.. its only a standard screwdriver and 3 minutes of work to tension up the mag and it should be good to go! if you need a more in depth explanation or a picture tutorial let me know! Im in the same boat with this rifle, it belonged to my grandfather and I dont have much that made it down to me... just it and a savage model 25. I got the thing cleanded up as nice as I could without doing anything stupid like wire wheeling bubblegum or re finishing anything but the stock had previously been broken and I didnt realize it until I pulled the stock and the glue broke!! so i need a nice rustic old stock to complete it. that and a few $4 rounds to see it it actully fires, its chambered in 303.... boy I tell you what a pain in the butt round to find... and Id really like it to be a shooter. no sense in haveing a gun you dont shoot.. so the parts to swap it to any ammo available for purchase might be in order... either that or set up to make my own :(

8. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You could easily get set up to reload for the price of having it changed over. Then you would be shooting your Grandfather's gun, not just part of it.

9. turbovr6jetta

yea thats true... but to load 303 on the cheap sounds like a pain... taking 303 british brass and modify the caseing... i guess i could buy like 40 rounds and reload them real lite to try to get some life out of them...