JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Savage 24 in .22 Mag over 20 gauge. When I bought it a couple years ago, I didn't notice it was missing the rear sight step. Since then I ordered one, but I just can't figure out how it's suppose to stay on the rifle. Does anybody know and can you post a close up of the rear sight on yours?

Thanks
Kellen

I ran to the gun room thinking I could help you, but my 24's are all equipped with the "flip-down" rear sight. (Williams, I think). If it's not self-explanatory, maybe you are a victim of the fact Savage kept changing sighting equipment on these guns thru the years, and perhaps you have the wrong elevator blade for your buckhorn.
Sorry.

I appreciate the reply. Every rear sight step I've seen online to order is exactly the same and seems wrong for my rifle. Don't really know what to do at this point.

If all you want to do is make it shootable, replace the rear with a flip-down type. If you are looking to "restore" it, best advice is to cruise the gunshows for one that has the same buckhorn/elevator, whip out your trusty digital camera (with the table guy's permission, of course), and get a picture of the correct one. Then go forth and search, or get handy with a vise and file.

I've got three 24's. My .22mag/20ga I actually had drilled and tapped on the 20ga barrel and installed a Williams peep on it. I think this peep was originally for a Mauser or Springfield bolt gun. It was curved to fit a rounded receiver, and just happened to be the same contour as the 20ga barrel.

Solid and much more accurate than the buckhorn. Increased sight radius by at least a foot.

Whatever you do, don't try to shoot the shotgun with a scope attached only by the dovetail clamp rings. I even tried to circumvent this prohibition by machining "claws" in the clamps, and using three rings on the scope. No Bueno. The scope would travel on the dovetail anyway.

Someone makes a peep that clamps on a 3/8 dovetail. (Williams?) Made of aluminum, I'd be willing to bet it may just be light enough to stay put under recoil.

Saigashooter sent me a PM about Savage 24's, asking what I thought the best combo was.

I own a .22lr/410 (older model with the side selector button), a .22WMR/20 ga., and a .222/20ga. I did own a .30-30/20ga. and that is kind of a sad story.

Of the above, I think the most versatile is the 22WMR/20ga. Mine is a relatively newer one (I think I bought it at GI Joes in 1987.) It has the case-colored receiver, and the break lever is ahead of the trigger guard, like another trigger. My father had the peach of this version: silver receiver, engraved with foxes and grouse, barrels welded together from chamber to muzzle, break lever where it should be: at the thumb on the tang. Brother has that one in Alaska. Kills moose with it. 40grain hollowpoint at 2000fps in the brain kills anything. 3 inch 20ga slug fills in any blanks.

i would be very cautious whipping out a camera at a gun show!
the vendors neighbors may get nervous. camera phone is less intimidating. but to explain an actual camera only device? i would
think twice about that one.

Thanks for the info guys. Williams make a peep sight that will work for like $35. I may go with one of those. Will be looking for a 24 at the next show to check it out.

One of you guys has got to have a similar 24 though that you can post pictures of right?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top