Savage Model 12 LRP 6.5CM

Discussion in 'Want To Try' started by latedays, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. latedays

latedays
    Redmond, OR

I would like to test drive this gun before possibly purchasing. I can pay for ammunition, targets and drive. Is there anybody in the Bend/LaPine/Prineville/Redmond/Sisters area that would be willing?

Or, if anybody could give their first hand experiences with this rifle, I would appreciate that as well!

2. Goosebrown

Goosebrown
    Beaverton
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

In Portland. Have a couple savages but not that one. Happy to share if you like.

I do have a 12 benchrest which has a totally different stock but it has the same target accutrigger. Same action except a single shot version. Also have an 11 in 260 so about the same caliber but different platform.

I think they're the best thing since bubblegum. Used to be Remington guy but no more forever.

3. Iceman04503

Iceman04503
    Portland, or

I have a 12 LRP 6.5 creedmore. Its a really nice gun. I first had issues of it not extracting/ejecting the spent brass. I ordered the improved extractor kit from sharpshootersupply and I haven't had a problem since. I also got their single shot loading ramp. And had the barrel threaded for my suppressor. Its mostly a benchrest gun because its heavy, having that bull barrel.

4. latedays

latedays
    Redmond, OR

Iceman, how long ago did you purchase your LRP? I've been reading about people having problems with their LRPs, but those reviews were from years ago.

5. Iceman04503

Iceman04503
    Portland, or

Beginning of august of last year. That improved extractor kit was cheap and it solved all my problems. Savage did send me some parts that they thought would solve the problem but it didn't.

6. P7id10T

P7id10T
    West Slope
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

+1 to Sharp Shooter Supply extractor and ejector kits.
    I did the same with my Savage LA conversion and Model 10. The ejector pin gets gunked up with carbon and stays stuck after less than 100 rounds. Yesterday I shot 20 rounds out of my 338 Edge, and this load normally has a sticky bolt lift. Nope. Not a single sticky lift, and now my rifle throws my brass with umph! I wasn't sure what caused the problem, considering the barrel/chamber on that gun is by McGowen. Turns out the extractor pawl is wimpy on a Savage bolt.
    Note on the single shot loading ramp - it doesn't work in the MDT chassis, at least not without some additional carving of the aluminum piece.

7. latedays

latedays
    Redmond, OR

Now that you have it fixed, is it as accurate as people make it out to be? Sub .5moa

8. Iceman04503

Iceman04503
    Portland, or

@100 yards with the right ammo sub .5moa easy.

9. Goosebrown

Goosebrown
    Beaverton
    Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

IMG_0502.JPG Savages with the right ammo should get you this