JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just ordered a Savage model 12 Bench rest in 6mmBR...looking forward to wringing as much accuracy as possible out of it!!. Will fire lap with Tubbs system of bullets, bed the action and check the crown. Putting a Weaver 36 T on top. Later I'm ordering a Kreiger barrel for the 30 BR. Using Forester benchrest dies and co-ax press with Lapua brass. Anyone with experience with this rifle I would love to hear your thoughts. Good shooting, Gary.

I have checked out a few of them at the range. They seem like a pretty slick setup out of the box. Your plan sounds great minus the Tubbs. If it makes you feel better, run some JB bore paste through the throat a few times and call it good. The Tubbs bullets are too abrasive for a fine barrel. I would shoot the gun before you decide to run an abrasive down the bore at all.
Bedding the action is probably a good idea. Once again, you may want to shoot the gun first, but a good bedding job almost always shows some improvement.
If you order the Kreiger now......it just might be here by the time you shoot out the factory barrel. Seriously I hear there is quite a wait. They make wonderful barrels but so do quite a few other barrel makers.

Congrats on the new gun. Let us know how it shoots when it gets here.

I just got back from shooting my new Savage F/TR. (Three weeks old) I'd suggest you not get in a big hurry to add anything but good quality bullets to that barrel. The pic of the 5 shot group was fired on my first day out. :D
I fired a total of 5 break in shots with Hornady 155 gr. moly A-Max bullets. Then Lapua and Sierra's after that.
I think your rifle will be pretty much ready to go right out of the box, just get good glass.

B

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10399&stc=1&d=1269226910

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10400&stc=1&d=1269226934

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10401&stc=1&d=1269226953

5 shot group.jpg

12" squirrel @ 480 yds.jpg

Savage F:TR .308:Nightforce.jpg

Got the rifle yesterday, have it all apart now...doing some cleaning and polishing, put an adjustable butt plate on [ a lot of filing and grinding to shape it to the benchrest stock] tomorrow I will bed the action, and I'm working the brass now..60%+ neck turn...etc. Should have it out to the range later next week!!

Got the rifle yesterday, have it all apart now...doing some cleaning and polishing, put an adjustable butt plate on [ a lot of filing and grinding to shape it to the benchrest stock] tomorrow I will bed the action, and I'm working the brass now..60%+ neck turn...etc. Should have it out to the range later next week!!

Please let us know how it shoots, I want one too.

Just got back from the range...I took all my loading equipment, except my scale!! I broke the barrel in blind. Thank heavens that the 6BR in an easy cartridge. I loaded it with Varget and topped it off with Berger 80 bullets. A very windy day in Albany also...my largest group of 5 was .542, smallest was .371 average of .456. I love this rifle, it can only shoot better when I bring the right stuff to load it!!

Just got back from the range...I took all my loading equipment, except my scale!! I broke the barrel in blind. Thank heavens that the 6BR in an easy cartridge. I loaded it with Varget and topped it off with Berger 80 bullets. A very windy day in Albany also...my largest group of 5 was .542, smallest was .371 average of .456. I love this rifle, it can only shoot better when I bring the right stuff to load it!!

You don't need a scale at the range.
Make powder throw charts for the various lots of powder you prefer, and assuming you have a good powder measure that you know how to use... you only need a scale when you make a new chart for a new lot of powder.

I can explain how if you don't know.

I echo other sentiments when they say to stay away from fire-lapping... a premium quality barrel doesn't need it.

That gun should easily shoot sub .250" groups, even in a 10-15 mph side wind. If you don't use them now, get some wind flags and learn how to dope the wind... you'll be glad you did.

Have fun with it...
C

I'm impressed, of course you are probablly one of them people who can toss a spitball into a trashcan from 50 feet, but.... lol.

I was just breaking in the barrel...and yes, I have used Pac-Nor barrels, 4 of them so far and I like them! I always try to use a scale to work up a load, and I do use flags when I'm shooting for real...maybe next week I'll run up some Sierra 107's with Reloader 15..about 30.3-5 grains. Try my groups at 200 yards...and the Weaver scope is just great!!

Thanks for the report. I think there are more than a few of us that are very interested. I have several new Savages but no bench rest. It is amazing that you can buy an off the shelf rifle and shoot custom rifle groups. Of course they did win the world championships this year. Please keep us updated if you can.

What I really like about this rifle is something I just noticed today looking over the target...even with the lousy loading I was forced to do, not 1 flier!! I hope it continues. Also the barrel shot in really easy, no copper streaks and clean up was easy and smooth. I honestly don't know how they do it, but I'm not complaining. For just about $1200.00 I have a ready to go to match rifle...nice!!

Here are my first 5 shots at 100 yds. Like I said, it was a windy day with no flags...I also have a Pac Nor 1/8 twist 3 groove super match rifle sitting in the shop...I think I have a new project!!

DSC00088.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, is the $1200 with the scope and did you order it through a shop? I was also wondering what the final weight of the whole package was? Thanks

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top