JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yes and no. i do not own a 111 but, i own an older model 116 in 300win mag with a simmons 44 mag scope non accutrigger non accustock and a brand new model 11 in 308 trophy hunter xp with the nikon bdc scope and accutrigger. both rifles are in my opinion very very accurate.i use both rifles for hunting and have not been let down once. now, granted i am not the best most steady shot out there by any means but needless to say both rifles shoot way better than i can. yesterday i was shooting 1-1.5inch groups at 400 yards with my 308 off the bench with remington core lokts. the best ive ever got at that distance with my 300win mag is about 2-3inch groups with core lokts. i blame it on anticipating the recoil and jumpin on the trigger too much. i know theres better, more accurate ammo out there but for the price and for hunting you cannot beat the core lokts in my opinion. these rifles are not too heavy to carry around out in the woods and both came with a recoil pad which is nice for the win mag. my only complaint with both of my savages is that the bolt actions are not the smoothest out there and thats comparing it to my remington o3a3 in 30-06 which was made in 1942 with the mauser style action. yes its very smooth. other than that i have no complaints at all. some say to toss the scopes that come with them if you were to buy a package deal but from my experience both my savages still have the scopes that came on them and i have not been let down. sure, there are nicer lookin, more accurate, more expensive rifles out there but for me what it comes down to is that savage arms make very accurate, durable rifles that are "ready to go" out of the box at a very affordable price and you just cant beat that.

if i were to recommend a package deal it would be the trophy hunter xp package or international trophy hunter xp package they come with good scopes.

My son has a Model 111 Bought at BiMart as a package deal. After about 8 rounds to get the rifle dialed in and remounting the scope to correct some less then perfectly tightened screws. The rifle has been shooting 3 shot groups ranging from what a nickle would cover to what a Quarter would cover. He is using my std. 150gr Hornady SP handloads in mixed brass.This is shooting from a bench at the gun club with a heavy front rest and a sand bag under the butt. Shooting at 100 yards.

My son is very happy with the rifle. He will be upgrading the stock to a Boyds Laminate later this year but the factory synthetic has been fine.

I plan on buying one in the near future to use as a basis for a .35 Whelen using an E.H.Shaw barrel kit and a Boyds walnut stock.

Savage center fire bolt actions tend to out shoot their owners I have used Savage rifles for over 30 years and always been happy.

If you want accutrigger look at 10/110, if that don't matter look at the Stevens 200. When you decide you want something more suited to long range you can start barrel shopping and swap barrel yourself!!

This is a group I shot with my Tikka 7mm rem mag at 150 yards. I have only once shot a Factory Savage rifle that would shoot even close to this and it was a Factory savage target rifle with factory loads a little bit over a $1000 rifle. I am not bashing on savage I have never had any problems with a savage rifle the 110/111's are a good gun for that price range I have personally owned 3 savage centerfires and shot a few others and they are perfectly good for hunting and plinking but the best group I have gotten out of a factory non target savage was 2 moa at 100 with developed handloads but if you intend on building a long range gun a savage action is easy to build off of and most people can do it themselves without a gunsmith

I have a 111 in 338 win mag,like the others have said,very accurate.I always thought they were ugly until I shot a .3" group with mine,that kind of accuracy prettys them right up.Only complaint I have is the lack of aftermarket stocks compared to the short action rifles.I also will be replacing the factory plastic with a wood stock.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top