JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so it was suggested to me to buy one of these, had I ever ran across one. This was, of course, before I bought my 1949 winchester model 52B. As my luck would have it, I did run across one of these cute little savage rifles. I found it a few weeks ago when I was in Winnemucca, visiting my family for Christmas. The rifle was new, but on clearance, so they had marked it way down. The price was $194.00. Regular marked price was $449.99. When I saw it, I searched gunbroker as quick as I could and found the same rifles for over $300.00 plus the cost of shipping, so it was a no brainer to buy it. I knew I wouldn't find another one anytime soon and definitely not at that price. When I got back from Nevada, my friend and I went out and shot it. It was too cold and rainy with snow on the ground to shoot too much, but we roughly got it sighted in. She did most of the shooting, as she had never shot a rifle with iron sights before. I shot a whole 10 shots and then we went on to shoot steel targets with our pistols. Long story short, I managed to get out and shoot a little bit on sunday. I wanted to see what this rifle would really do. I didn't shoot much because the weather simply sucked. Too much rain and wind, plus it was starting to get dark. I was pleasantly surprised this little rifle shot so well. Here are some pics you might enjoy:
oH5qzOz.jpg
erqa4J7.jpg
OHeWjnC.jpg
ev9NxKG.jpg
Cool sights huh^^^^^^ You can see I have the appropriate size apperature in the front globe. Target downrange at 50 yards as well...

First target shot before final adjustment to zero:
fQvVRMP.jpg

Second target shot with first adjustment of sights. Adjustment down:
vrvjssl.jpg

Then the third and final target shot that day. Pretty well zeroed for my eyesight:
MY7rX3v.jpg

This rifle is a shooter. I think it deserves a boyds stock. Then the appropriate length of pull should make it a lot more comfortable to shoot. It may not make it anymore accurate, just more comfortable and better looking. Thanks for looking guys, I hope this was an interesting post, as you rarely hear about these little gems...

Been a YUGE fan of these for a very long time! Bought mine right after they first came out after waiting for the LGS to get one in! Damn fine shooters, every bit as accurate as the high end options out there! We have Anshutz to thank for these little Savages, they are the exact same action!

Been a YUGE fan of these for a very long time! Bought mine right after they first came out after waiting for the LGS to get one in! Damn fine shooters, every bit as accurate as the high end options out there! We have Anshutz to thank for these little Savages, they are the exact same action!
Yes sir. And that is the reason one of my club members highly suggested this rifle to me. He has shot an Anshutz since he was a kid. He used his in competition and still uses it at our rimfire events. Those rifles really shoot. He will be happy I ended up finding this beauty. I'm hoping to have it all tricked out in a new boyds stock by the time my club starts in with their rimfire shoots in the spring.. It could possible be a toss up as to which rifle I shoot. The model 52B or this savage... I like both, but really love my old Winchester. Its such a sweetheart....
9oTTjgI.jpg

Oops, I left out the part about cutting 4 coils off the trigger spring on that savage. Dang that trigger needed it. It breaks so clean at 2 pounds now. Its a joy to shoot...:cool:

I took one of these and a Boyds Tacticool stock and went crazy a few winters back it now looks like this:

9zWCLdI.jpg

Lek4Iaj.jpg

Adjustable butt (made from scratch)
Adjustable Comb (made from laminated wood and carbon fiber)
It has an accessory rail in the 2" wide forestock
Weighs a bit more then stock

Krylon Red Apple paint with Krylon Webbing paint and 3 coats of Satin Clear

And its a Shooter with Wolf or other decent target ammo it will shoot touching groups at 50 yards I have put 5 rds in less then .300" many times with it.

One of my favorite rifles maybe because the grand daughters love shooting it so much.