Savage Mark II BV

From what I understand, your stock replacement adds much to the looks and performance of that system. Thanks for the info.
It certainly improved it across the board! I really wish they had offered it as a factory rifle instead of the El'Cheap-O plastic fantastic! Still, for a basic "Training Rifle" it's a good package over all, and being a Savage, there is plenty of aftermarket support for it!

OP
SGW Gunsmith
Reactions
Well, I now have one on the way. Savage Mark II BV in .22 LR. Also have a new Mueller 8-32 AO scope sitting here waiting to be mounted. Will run it through some velocity tests over my Oehler 35P chrono to see what velocities it produces from that 21-inch barrel and then, see what sort of groups it will produce, and with what ammunition.
I start out at 35 meters for testing ammunition to see how it performs, and then move out further if it proves to be worthwhile. Why 35 meters? Only because I set up my permanent target stand at that distance because by range finder was set for meters rather than yards. :(

OP
SGW Gunsmith
Reactions
My new rifle arrived June 4th and was logged in. Looks like I have one initial task involving the 5-round magazine. Feed-lip edges are quite sharp, so I want to get those sharp edges worked over and polished so they don't shave or impede lead bullets from being chambered smoothly.
Hopefully, later today, I'll get check the scope rings for roundness and lap if necessary, and then mount the scope & boresight.
It's just what I like to see in a .22 rimfire rifle, especially their trigger. I haven't as yet put a gauge on it, but it will get set to 2½ to 3 pounds.

Last edited:
OP
SGW Gunsmith
Reactions
I did change the included bases out for a picatinny rail to achieve better ring spacing:
xPUo9nfl.jpg
The Leopold scope rings are nice and round as checked with my 1-inch ring lapping bar, so no serious lapping was needed:
AATYH0cl.jpg
When I bore sighted the scope using a Bushnell collimator and .22 spud, the scope was dead on in windage and just a tad under the elevation cross wire.

Sent two EEZOX wetted felt plugs down the barrel and then a dry plug, so I'm ready to get this rifle sighted in and test to see which .22 rimfire ammunition it likes best.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
    • matts
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    First time....
    First time working with a gunsmith but I found Copeland Gunworks to be an awesome husband wife team that worked really fast and things were...
Top Bottom