JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have purchased 2 savage rifles in the last 2 years. The newest was a savage axis with bad headspacing from the factory that had to be returned. The one previous was a savage model 64. Inexpensive rifle but seems decent. I am currently dealing with misfeeds and misfires. The firing pin does not hit deep enough because they are pretty blunt. The feeding problems seem to have to do with sharp edges on everything. I messed up my firing pin by sharpening the wrong end (darnit). I called savage and they do not sell firing pins except to ffls and their warrranty is only a year. This left me super angry. Screw savage. I would recommend not purchasing another thing from them.
Did it work for the year up until it stopped working? Or did it never work? I would still contact them and see what they'll do. Obviously they have to end the warranty period at some point or you'll get guys who shoot the hell out of them for over a year and try to claim warranty but it doesn't sound like your situation and I would think any company with decent customer service would want to resolve the issue.

Sorry you're having issues, I'd be bummed out too.

Check Jack-First gun parts, hopefully they can help you find what you need.

Since they only sell parts to ffl's maybe try your local Savage dealer or fab your own firing pin.

Good luck!

I called Savage to ask how to order a new action screw or some other minor part, I can't remember exactly. The rep on the phone asked for my address and sent a requisition for some new parts, no charge, even though I wasn't the 1st owner. I asked to pay, and even though it was outside of the warranty period the rep said don't worry about it, my satisfaction was important. I got the parts in the mail a few days later. I get it about firing pins, bolts, and bolt faces going through FFL, liability and all. Just ask a local ffl for help ordering those. I've owned or own over a half dozen Savages (m99, 10/110, Edge/Axis, Axis II, B17) over the years, and love them all. Savage has been making firearms since 1894, they are celebrating their 125 years in business this year.

I called Savage to ask how to order a new action screw or some other minor part, I can't remember exactly. The rep on the phone asked for my address and sent a requisition for some new parts, no charge, even though I wasn't the 1st owner. I asked to pay, and even though it was outside of the warranty period the rep said don't worry about it, my satisfaction was important. I got the parts in the mail a few days later. I get it about firing pins, bolts, and bolt faces going through FFL, liability and all. Just ask a local ffl for help ordering those. I've owned or own over a half dozen Savages (m99, 10/110, Edge/Axis, Axis II, B17) over the years, and love them all. Savage has been making firearms since 1894, they are celebrating their 125 years in business this year.
I have had similar service from old Marlin , Remington, and Springfield. There is no reason to have to deal with a ffl for a inexpensive stamped steel firing pin.

You may have got hold of the village idiot they let answer phones that day to keep him out of the way, I'd try again or even better email them.
I will give it a another shot. I just want to be able to buy basic parts for a rifle. I realize that I messed it up trying to fix it. I could see it the firing pin was a precision fitted part that could cause problems if not fitted correctly. Also wouldn't be a problem if I could get a aftermarket one.

I do love a good "oops" thread :D
Hey we all make mistakes. I guess I am used to better parts availability and guns having a limited lifetime warranty. I lost a extractor ball on my marlin bolt action while cleaning it one time, I called to order one and they sent me a bag of them for free. IDK about now though with the whole Remlin thing.

I have 6 savages and would never buy anything else. They're the most accurate rifles out of the box I've ever shot. Worlds better than Remington.

Sorry you're having a problem. Try something else.

Product liability is why some parts can only be sold to FFL holders. Virtually all gun manufactures have at least a few parts on these restricted lists. If it requires fitting or if an improper install could result in an unsafe firearm that part might show up on their list.

It's a bummer sometimes, I've bumped up against this before when trying to mod or customize a firearm.

I have a savage 64. To fix the misfeeding issue you need to file and polish the magazines because they are the feed ramps for the ammo. Also mine only feeds cci mini mags reliably. Everything else will jam more rounds than it fires

I have a savage 64. To fix the misfeeding issue you need to file and polish the magazines because they are the feed ramps for the ammo. Also mine only feeds cci mini mags reliably. Everything else will jam more rounds than it fires
I took the sharp edges off when they were new with 600gr memory cloth. I might spend some more time cleaning them up. Thanks for the tip.

My Savage .17 cal. bolt action (too lazy to look up the model number) works like a charm, was relatively inexpensive and has an outstanding 2 stage adjustable trigger, though I never adjusted it as it was great out of the box.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top