JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have purchased 2 savage rifles in the last 2 years. The newest was a savage axis with bad headspacing from the factory that had to be returned. The one previous was a savage model 64. Inexpensive rifle but seems decent. I am currently dealing with misfeeds and misfires. The firing pin does not hit deep enough because they are pretty blunt. The feeding problems seem to have to do with sharp edges on everything. I messed up my firing pin by sharpening the wrong end (darnit). I called savage and they do not sell firing pins except to ffls and their warrranty is only a year. This left me super angry. Screw savage. I would recommend not purchasing another thing from them.

Well the firing pin is a blunt stamped piece of thin steel that has no profile to it. I never expected them to replace it under warranty. I would like to be able to buy a part for my rifle.

If the firing pin is not "hitting deep enough" any amount of grinding will make it even shorter.

If there is a shoulder on the pin that stops forward motion, then you could increase firing pin protrusion by filing (not grinding ever!) the shoulder a bit. Remember we are talking about a few thousands or less.

Grinding will destroy the temper of the pin, even if done with a deft touch. There is too little mass in the pin to handle the heat.

BTW firing pin profiles are blunt to avoid piercing the primer.

I hope this helps!

Last Edited:
Thanks but the firing pin can protrude over 1/8th or a inch. I am pretty sure the problem revolves around the bluntness. I have a few .22s and none of them have that blunt of a firing pin.

Savage specs for firing pin protrusion are 0.055 - 0.065 inch. The largest protrusion spec I've ever seen is for the Mosin and that maxes at 0.095 inch.

There could be spec for longer lengths, I certainly don't know it all on this subject.

I hope this helps.

Idk...

My 1000 yard rifle and hunting rifle both hold their own.

EE2AB7C5-40F6-4DE6-B2F5-978D93D2CD09.png A17AE529-025D-4C6A-96B7-4C271016C263.jpeg

Maybe it is user error:rolleyes:

Savage specs for firing pin protrusion are 0.055 - 0.065 inch. The largest protrusion spec I've ever seen is for the Mosin and that maxes at 0.095 inch.

There could be spec for longer lengths, I certainly don't know it all on this subject.

I hope this helps.
This is a inexpensive .22 . I assume there is zero fitting or tolerances for this part. The firing pin has no return spring and just floats.

I'm gonna take a grinder to my Bergara's firing pin tonight and see what I can do.

No I'm not. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads