JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Maybe. Or maybe they would have had a replacement firing pin you could have purchased.
...even if they didn't, maybe kd7vdb could've placed an order for one.
That would allow him to use the 'smth's FFL without having to "use their FFL", if you get what I'm stating.
kd7vdb gets the part he would've had to have paid for anyway (since the warranty had already expired) and still gets to do the work himself, instead of paying someone else to do it.
...and if that 'smith you use says kd7vdb MUST let them do the installation, just say "thank you! :) ", and find someone else to order the part from.

Dean

Last Edited:
Have you checked out Nurmrich for a firing pin?
I've never owned a 64, but why you would take a firing pin to a grinder is beyond my comprehension.
Well said. Ive had excellent service from Savage and so has a buddy of mine. We didnt grind on anything and expect for them to fix it either. My experience was with a rifle that was having extraction issues.i contacted savage and they sent me a new extractor and springs to rebuild the bolt face. My buddy had an issue with his barreled action not being exactly centered in the stock. They sent him 2 stocks and told him to keep the original. Most recently we were shooting his new predator 22-250 and the factory ammo (barnes vortex) was bad. It blew a primer and scarred the bolt face. It locked the bolt up tight. When i was able to open the bolt up, i pulled it out of the receiver so i could look at it better. The springs were toast and the extractor was gone. The plunger spring for the ejector had gotten so hot that it shrank down from the original length. My buddy contacted barnes and they sent him 3 boxes of their ammo. My buddy originally told them he didnt want their ammo, but he would like to be compensated for the cost of the bolt rebuild kit, i used. Since barnes was uncooperative he then contacted savage and told him about the runaround he got from barnes. They sent a bolt rebuild kit asap. They didnt need to do that, because it was bad ammo, not a bad rifle. Savage has been stellar to deal with in my experience.

I have a number of old Savage rifles (30's-60's) and 4 newer ones (2 r22lr, 1 17HMR, 1 10/110 in 6.5CM) and they've all been fantastic right out of the box.

That sounds great and I have heard similar experiences from lots of folks. I just had 2 Lemons. I also said that I didnt expect them to repair my bubblegumup. I expect firearms to work correctly from the factory. I recently did some smoothing that fixed the feeding issue on the .22 but I am still having issues with the light primer strikes. Maybe their inexpensive stuff is not as good as their bolt .22s and higher end center fire stuff.

My wife has a Savage axis II in.243 in muddy girl pink camo. It's less than half the cost of my bergara HMR and shoots almost as good. I almost carried it during deer season but didn't want to face her if I beat it up a little.

Lets see, 6 Savages, from a MK-II to a 110 Super Magnum in .338 L.M. and I have never EVER had a single issue with any of them!
All are as accurate as I am, and a few can stretch my limits, which is sayin somethin! :cool::cool::cool:
I have never heard of a Savage customer service issue, though it seems some one has had one!
Had a buddy with a Brand New MK-II that had a hair line crack in the bolt body, sent it back and they sent him a new rifle a week later along with a hand full of mags to make it right! I call that customer service!

The term, you get what you pay for rings true here.

I have a few Savages. 1 I bought new. The other two I bought horribly used and stripped down to the action to build new rifles.
They are amazing rifles.

I have purchased 2 savage rifles in the last 2 years. The newest was a savage axis with bad headspacing from the factory that had to be returned. The one previous was a savage model 64. Inexpensive rifle but seems decent. I am currently dealing with misfeeds and misfires. The firing pin does not hit deep enough because they are pretty blunt. The feeding problems seem to have to do with sharp edges on everything. I messed up my firing pin by sharpening the wrong end (darnit). I called savage and they do not sell firing pins except to ffls and their warrranty is only a year. This left me super angry. Screw savage. I would recommend not purchasing another thing from them.
yes, 22lr is unreliable however, the model 64 doe not have anything to stop the firing pin from hitting the chamber when dry fired. I mention that because the model 64 doesn't have a last round bolt hold open so you might be dry firing mag after mag and that messes up the chamber and shortens the firing pin, sort of your fault if that is the case, not the guns. (I am under the assumption you dryfire a lot)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top