JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a Savage 17 WSM yesterday. Seems kinda cheap and clunky but thought I'd try out the round and wait for a better rifle. Put it together this morning, can't get the trigger below three pounds but thats ok. Now I got to find ammo. Any body shooting one or have an opinion, I'd like to hear. Thanks all.:cool:

I have fondled the B-Mag twice now and I like how light it is. To me the feeling isn't any different than there other rifles with a plastic stock so it is not too bad. I don't like how stiff/tough the cocking on the close of the bolt is but guess it would lighten up after some use though. I have seen on the occasion ammo for it localy but it isn't very often sort of like 22LR. If I purchase one I will put the ammo on backorder @ MidwayUSA and look for it localy each week too.
Look forward to hearing what you think once you get out and shoot it.

Since the ammo is more expensive than 223,I just bought the Mossberg MVP instead.
Can't really see any need for the cartridge.Can't reload it and it's expensive or unavailable
The only up side is the rifle............ the one rifle chambered for it,is cheap

Since the ammo is more expensive than 223,I just bought the Mossberg MVP instead.
Can't really see any need for the cartridge.Can't reload it and it's expensive or unavailable
The only up side is the rifle............ the one rifle chambered for it,is cheap

How do you figure that the 17WSM ammo is more expensive than 223?
Varmint 223 = Average $18.50 per box of 20 = 92.5 cents per round
17WSM = Average $15.65 per box of 50 = 31 cents per round
17WSM is available (well as available as 22lr) as I have seen it locally and you can put it on backorder at MidwayUSA right now so it will become more and more available.
For a rimfire with better ballistics than a 22 hornet, that can be used for coyote and can reach out to 300 yard what more could you ask.

I found a bunch of info on Savage shooter forum. Seems a lot of issues with the stock, extraction, accuracy, guns sent back to Savage, etc. Still no ammo, so I'll have to wait and see. My motivation to try the 17 WSM is that I really like the 17 HMR. The people on the Savage forum are saying that Boyd's Stocks are talking about making a stock for the gun if there is enough demand and also there is an outfit making a bolt handle for it, can't remember the name right now, (oldtimers disease).

I RELOAD my 223 for quite a bit less than 90 something a round sis.
You can buy 223/556 boxes of 20 for less than 90c a round all day long. Heck less than 50c a round easy (.41)

Again,I'll stick with the centerfires for the price of admission

Hey mjbskwim, I just seen the mvp patrol last night at Cabela's in Eugene, 600.00. Sweet rifle, 16.25" barrel, takes AR mags, nice open sites and pic rail. Too late now, I'll have to keep workin on the Bmag. :D

I RELOAD my 223 for quite a bit less than 90 something a round sis.
You can buy 223/556 boxes of 20 for less than 90c a round all day long. Heck less than 50c a round easy (.41)

Again,I'll stick with the centerfires for the price of admission

I stated varmint round pricing I know you can get FMJ for less but that realy isn't a hunting round and it still makes your previous statement incorrect about 17WSM being more expensive than 223. Also not everyone reloads if I had to guess 80%+ of all hunters/plinkers don't reload.
Don't get me wrong here at all I have a MVP Predator 18" barrel and it is a great rifle and will put the smack down on lots of things from sage rat to deer if you are so enclined. Yet there are times when a rimfire with centerfire ballistics caracteristics would be nice to have. There are several sage rat hunting lands that only allow rimfire so you were limited to 22WMR/22LR/17HMR/17HM2 until now.

I reload for accuracy first and saving a buck second. I reload a lot of .223.

I'm dying to get a bmag. The ammo is not too expensive and Savage usually makes a very accurate rifle. I love my Savage 17HMR. The WSM will bridge the gap between it and .223.

the whole point of 17wsm was supposed to be cheap ammo because they reuse nailgun cartridges. but that cheap ammo still hasn't happened.

i'll stick with my 17hmr.

the whole point of 17wsm was supposed to be cheap ammo because they reuse nailgun cartridges. but that cheap ammo still hasn't happened.

i'll stick with my 17hmr.

sadly, 17wsm prices are in centerfire territory. i'll stick with handloading my 223rem for now.

17wsm ammo pricing has to seriously come down.

What price point you want the bigger 17WSM to be at? 22WMR is $11 per 50rds, 17HMR is $13 per 50rds and 17WSM is $16 per 50rds. I would say that is going to be the price although could go down to $15 per 50 once/if other ammunition manufactures start producing it.
Hornady 17 hornet is $19 per 25rds, Hornady 22 hornet is $18 per 25rds and Hornady 55gr v-max is $19 per 20rds.
With this I would have to say that 17WSM is no were near the centerfire territory in price but that is just my personal oppinion.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top