JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I completed the pillar bedding on my Savage AXIS II XP, fitted into the Boyd's new Spike Camp laminated thumbhole stock. I drilled out both holes from their original size to 3/8" on the drill press. Using a round file I enlarged the hole slightly and roughed up the inside of the hole to accept the epoxy. I use JB Weld Original epoxy. While it's says its for metal I have found it works great on wood. My dad machined two pillars out of brass rod, drilled 1/4" hole for the bolts, and knurled the outside so the epoxy would adhere better. However, the rear brass pillar was slightly too short so I ended up using the aluminum pillar for the rear. I turned it down on the drill press with a metal file to 3/8". After several tries, shaving off a few thousands of an inch, I finally got the pillar just right, slightly proud on top and bottom.

I also purchased a new stainless steel trigger guard, replacing the plastic one that came with the Boyd's stock. After inserting the pillars, front and rear and bolting the receiver and trigger guard in I checked for barrel clearance with the stock. Using my Brownell's stock shaving tool I removed some wood almost the length of the stock under the barrel so I got an acceptable free floating of the barrel. I checked it three dollar bills thickness. Finally I mixed up the epoxy, coated the pillars, and pressed them into the 3/8" holes - a perfect fit. After 24 hours I removed the receiver/trigger mechanism/barrel and cleaned everything up. Then I replaced the receiver/trigger mechanism/barrel and torqued down the bolts. It's solid as a rock.

I made the decision not to do any bedding under the receiver because the setup seems so rock-solid it just doesn't seem necessary. It's ready for the firing range to sight in the gun. Overall I'm happy with the results. My only complaint with Savage is the cheap Bushnell scope that was included in the package. I didn't have high expectations for the scope but it's badly out of focus. I contacted Savage but haven't heard back from them yet with a suitable resolution. Regardless of their response I'll likely put a new Vortex Optics Crossfire II - 3x9x40. It is highly rated for an under $200 scope. Over the years I have had a couple of $400 scopes from both Nikon and Leupold and a few under $200 dollar scopes from Burris, Bushnell, and Simmons. At this stage of my hunting career I think the Vortex will do just fine.

IMG_2868.JPEG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads