Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Savage Arms Model 840 Ammo Compatability Question. 30-30 verison

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Tyler89, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Tyler89

Tyler89 New Member

I inherited a Model 840 Savage arms 30-30 and I would like to know if modern tips would work with this rifle since it's and older rifle. Tips such as pointed, Ballistic or silver tips etc.

2. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I suspect you are referring to the bullets as the 'tips'. Any factory 30-30 ammo should be just fine. The only 'pointed' bullets you will find in FACTORY 30-30 ammo will be the LeverEvolution ammo which uses a rubber material to create a pseudo spire-point bullet that is safe to use in a tube fed 30-30 Such as a model 94 Winchester which indexes the ammo in line with bullet tips to primers. A bullet with a typical pointed tip would be dangerous to use in this instance due to the possibility of recoil detonation which is why the only FACTORY 30-30 ammo is round nose, flat point, or the LeverEvolution.

3. Tyler89

Tyler89 New Member

Oh alright well thank you very much. My dad said that the rifle shoots a little to the right but the ammo is old that he used so I'm thinking that may be the cause of the unique spread he got. Other than that I may just have the barrel looked at and fixed if that is the issue.

4. Beefcake

Beefcake Portland Active Member

Or, you could adjust the sights. I don't know what sights are on yours; I have a Stevens 325 in 30-30 which is the older version of your rifle (also known as a Savage 340). Mine requires moving the front sight which is dove-tailed into a front sight base; if yours is dove-tailed into the barrel itself, it is more difficult but still possible. Allison-Carey (local gunsmith shop) offered to adjust mine using a special tool and a laser bore-sight for $40, but I figured it out on my own.

Also, I think all of the later models like yours were drilled + tapped for scope mounts (side-mount). Weaver and B-Square both make these (I've seen rave reviews on the B-Square version). Mine is so old that it was drilled for a Williams peep sight instead (which I love).

5. RVTECH

+1! - two Winchesters and one Marlin of mine can't be wrong!

6. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Your rifle is a magazine fed bolt action and has no problem with pointed bullets. You will have to load them yourself or have a friend who does reloading make them up for you. But there is no safety issue at all with a pointed bullet in a Savage 840

st_840roots_200810a2.jpg

7. Tyler89

Tyler89 New Member

Wouldn't it shoot just Hornady leveloution rounds right out of the box? It's the same caliber bullet size shouldn't change. That's what I was told is that you can shoot any 30-30 round through it. I'm just trying to make sure that I can use any bullet other than flat nose so I have better range than a flat nose. I was told that leveloution rounds are best for ranged shots but was just making sure that any box I'd buy would work as long as it's 30-30 it should work right?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  8. Beefcake

Yes, any factory round should work. I did some research and decided that the LeverRevolution rounds didn't have enough better ballistics to justify the price, but others will disagree. A 30-30 is a low-powered round; it will never have the long range trajectory of other common rounds.

9. Tyler89

Tyler89 New Member

I guess it's really opinionated because my close friend has a marlin 336w and used the leverloution round and killed a hog at 300 yards. I know a 30-30 will never compare to range as the 30-06 and some newer rounds but as a classic round it preforms well as a deer hunting rifle. In my area it's rare a shot exceeds 200 yards.

10. Beefcake

I agree completely. A 30-30 is a great deer rifle within its limitations. I just bought another one and will likely never sell it; it's just too much fun. However, for me, they lose energy and drop too fast to be a reliable hunting round at more than 150-200 yards. I'm sure there are guys out there that can judge distance and know their holdovers to shoot them farther, but I'd just use a different tool if shooting that far. Inside of 200, standard rounds shoot flat enough for my liking, so it isn't worth the extra expense to me to use the LeverRevolution rounds.

11. Tyler89

Tyler89 New Member

I agree. I believe those who are well experienced and know the round have a better chance of hitting targets past 200+ with leverloution rounds. I dropped my rifle off to be inspected and cleaned and the rep who was around 60 said that this particular rifle and the models like it can shoot further and more accurate than the current marlins they sell. He was actually happy to see it and said he's sad they don't make bolt action 30-30s anymore.

12. RVTECH

As Mark said you would have to reload to get a true Spire Point bullet in a 30-30 round. I have done this myself to use up some 150 gr HP BT match bullets I have. The difference IS noticeable in both accuracy and trajectory but in the case of my Winchester these rounds turn it into a single shot.