JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are planning to change the stock to an aftermarket or a hand made stock, you can add what ever bottom metal you wish, and from there it can interchange to the others if you wanted to! if you end up with a non accustock rifle, you can always surf the interwebs like amazon and ebay looking for a take off that you could swap out to.
The Bottom metal kits are getting around $250 with ONE mag, but they ( in .308) can take the ACIS or P-Mags interchangeably. MY Savage 10FCP didnt have an accustock and it had a blind mag of 4 rounds, my 10T-SR had the accustock, but didn't have the larger bottom metal for the high cap mags, I got the kit from Brownells and swaped the TSR over, and found a take off on ebay for $45 and got a kit to convert the FCP, now both rifles have the high cap mags and they interchange between them and the new Ruger Precision Rifle, Plus, they interchange with one of my Remington 700's ( but in .243) so that fixes the mag issues, and if I ever wanted to add an AR-10 type rifle, I already have 10 round mags for it. My advise, for a hunting rifle, don't go out of your way to find an accustock, but if your planing something else, then it might make sense for you! I always recommend the Savage Mod.10 series in .308 for learning long range shooting, it could work as a hunting rifle, but it's a tad on the heavy side. the 111 series are basically the same rifle but once you get into the long actions ( .30/06 or Magnum's) they will not all interchange parts.

If you are planning to change the stock to an aftermarket or a hand made stock, you can add what ever bottom metal you wish, and from there it can interchange to the others if you wanted to! if you end up with a non accustock rifle, you can always surf the interwebs like amazon and ebay looking for a take off that you could swap out to.
The Bottom metal kits are getting around $250 with ONE mag, but they ( in .308) can take the ACIS or P-Mags interchangeably. MY Savage 10FCP didnt have an accustock and it had a blind mag of 4 rounds, my 10T-SR had the accustock, but didn't have the larger bottom metal for the high cap mags, I got the kit from Brownells and swaped the TSR over, and found a take off on ebay for $45 and got a kit to convert the FCP, now both rifles have the high cap mags and they interchange between them and the new Ruger Precision Rifle, Plus, they interchange with one of my Remington 700's ( but in .243) so that fixes the mag issues, and if I ever wanted to add an AR-10 type rifle, I already have 10 round mags for it. My advise, for a hunting rifle, don't go out of your way to find an accustock, but if your planing something else, then it might make sense for you! I always recommend the Savage Mod.10 series in .308 for learning long range shooting, it could work as a hunting rifle, but it's a tad on the heavy side. the 111 series are basically the same rifle but once you get into the long actions ( .30/06 or Magnum's) they will not all interchange parts.

Thank you Ura-Ki. Now I gotta figure out what I want to do. You actually answered another question on wether or not I can make changes to it to accept P-Mags from my AR-10 :):s0115::s0115:

Here ya go SKruger My 10T-SR with the bottom conversion. Weight is aprox 12 pounds. Take off the bipod and add a sling, and your all set!
Savage-10-FCP-SR-2.jpg

@Ura-Ki how does the trigger compare on the Tikka versus the Savage?

Edit: So I found a link that says they are adjustable from 2lbs to 4lbs which is great. Has anyone ever used Budsgunshop on line? They have the T3 on sale right now for $899.

Last Edited:
Hands down, The Tikka is the best out there for any money, SUPER SMOOTH trigger, Ultra smooth Bolt, Lightning fast follow up shots, and the BEST factory barrel you can get, thanks to the parent company SAKO! It's quite a bit more then the Savage (and the Savage is really good) but out of the box, unmodified in any way, the Tikka will rock and roll with the very best! This Super Varmint has caused me to consider offing more then one accurate rifle! The Tikka is also a little lighter. Down side, the Mags are expensive especially having to use the SAKO TRG AICS mags ( @ $100 each) but 4 extra mags covers me for every situation I can see.

I bet etrain16 is pulling his hair out just now, me tossing yet another serious long range rifle in the mix, LOL :D Yes, the Tikka T-3X comes in .308 and I think there is a mod that allows you to use the P-Mags, Not sure but I can do some digging!

So here in lies the question? @Ura-Ki if I am understanding you correctly. You own the savage, Tikka and Ruger Precision and out of the three you would choose the Tikka?

I am thinking for hunting the Tikka would be a better choice but your saying it ranks up there with the RP for long distance as well?

I apologize if I'm being annoying :cool: Just trying to learn from the best ;):D

Not to dodge your question, but the rifles are for different purposes. For long range Varmint wackin on the Prairie dogs and such, the Ruger is working it's way to the top for that, and it does a good enough job on the yoties as long as they are walking slow or picking through the fresh dawgs. The Savages are more for wackin the yoties and other predators while on the move, and the Tikka is my rough country, nasty weather hiking all day at extream altitude and getting a single shot at deer or elk at cross the valley distances.
SO.........for pure hunting, I would choose the light weight Tikka T-3 Lite or a Savage 111 series. For getting in a lot of shooting practice and learning the art of long range shooting in a rifle that can also serve for hunting deer and elk, I would choose the Savage 10 in what ever version gets you closest to what you want it to do. For serious long range work after you know the basics of long range shooting, the Ruger RPR is a stunning rifle to work with ( and is legal in F-2 Comps) and for the money, an excellent choice for serious shooters ( but it's usefulness drops off as you start getting good at it, Ironically) The Tikka Super Varmint is where things get interesting, its a pretty heavy rifle for mountain hunting, but it's so slick and so fast, and it's jaw dropping accurate at longer ranges on big animals, and yet it's also capable of sub 1/4 MOA all day long on the varmints too!!! One of the biggest reasons my Wife loves her Tikka T-3 Light stainless in .243 is it's so slick and so fast and it's also one of the lightest hunting rifles out. We had a good muzzle brake installed on her rifle and what recoil it did have is now almost nill, and the lightning fast follow up shots are breath taking fast, you would swear she was shooting a semi auto.
Your not a pest at all, I'm always glad to share my experiences and perspective on good rifles, and helping one make a wise choice is never a problem, so feel free to ask away any thing you wish to know, I will always be happy to pass on what ever I can!:):):)

As a side note for comparisons, The Tikka Super Varmint is the Norwegian version of the awesome Remington Sendero line of factory built precision long range rifles, and the Tikka is available in more calibers to boot, I am ordering another in 6.5X55 Swede soon!

@Ura-Ki Thank you. It's always nice to read your post and get a very thorough and accurate answer. I appreciate that and your knowledge on the matter.

After reading your post several times and then reading it again. :D I will have to really think about what I want the main use to be. I may just have to buy more than one over time. LOL

@Ura-Ki Thank you. It's always nice to read your post and get a very thorough and accurate answer. I appreciate that and your knowledge on the matter.

After reading your post several times and then reading it again. :D I will have to really think about what I want the main use to be. I may just have to buy more than one over time. LOL

It's the same answer as all "What should I get" questions... get one of each.:D:rolleyes:

Hands down, The Tikka is the best out there for any money, SUPER SMOOTH trigger, Ultra smooth Bolt, Lightning fast follow up shots, and the BEST factory barrel you can get, thanks to the parent company SAKO! It's quite a bit more then the Savage (and the Savage is really good) but out of the box, unmodified in any way, the Tikka will rock and roll with the very best! This Super Varmint has caused me to consider offing more then one accurate rifle! The Tikka is also a little lighter. Down side, the Mags are expensive especially having to use the SAKO TRG AICS mags ( @ $100 each) but 4 extra mags covers me for every situation I can see.

I bet etrain16 is pulling his hair out just now, me tossing yet another serious long range rifle in the mix, LOL :D Yes, the Tikka T-3X comes in .308 and I think there is a mod that allows you to use the P-Mags, Not sure but I can do some digging!

And you know, I can't afford to lose any more hair!!!

Dangit @Ura-Ki!!

I've really been wanting to pick up a Savage in 30-06, but I always planned on swapping for a Boyds wood stock.

Wanted it to be a hunting rifle, not caring about having a detachable mag.
Just something pretty that can put food on the table, and the freezer.

I have a couple rifles in .308 I use for hunting, but have always like the 30-06.
Maybe a mental thing.

I've really been wanting to pick up a Savage in 30-06, but I always planned on swapping for a Boyds wood stock.

Wanted it to be a hunting rifle, not caring about having a detachable mag.
Just something pretty that can put food on the table, and the freezer.

I have a couple rifles in .308 I use for hunting, but have always like the 30-06.
Maybe a mental thing.

Love my Savage 30-06 especially since the upgrades have been done. @Joe13 and I have put about two box's of ammo through it so she's ready for hunting season.