JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
View attachment 1368123
Top to bottom:
1899A "Saddlegun" or "Short Rifle" (1980's "revival" gun)
Model 99F ("Featherweight")
Model 99 EG
Model 99 EG Undrilled for scope mounts. (this one "got away"!)
Model 99, I believe what is called an RS. Very beefy buttstock for scope usage, similarly fat "beavertail" forearm.
All are .250-3000 Savage caliber, except the RS. It's a .308, and the only '99 .308 that I found comfortable to shoot. It is a heavy gun.

The '99 .250 taught me how to shoot high powered rifles.
I seem to remember you having a 1920 in .250.
I realize its an "apples-to-oranges" comparison at best, but I was wondering how you felt your 99's stacked up against the 1920.

The very existence of the Model 1920 was not known to me until I saw the one I bought. I learned as fast as I could.

It is nearly entirely a miniature Springfield. In that regard, any comparison is closer to platypuses vs. platitudes than apples and oranges.

They have a commonality: hot-rod if you want, but you'll see poor economy in the long run.

In Model 700 Remingtons, the .250 does a whole bunch of other things than either of these guns.

@DeanMk was kind enough to exhume a learning process I documented about the Model 1920: I believe he refers to this:

Last Edited:
Three of us combed the dry riverbed in the snowstorm. Eight inches on the ground and comin' down heavy.

A signal whistle from the hunter in the ditch. But I already heard the buck coming right up my side, saw him crest the top at full escape strength and speed.

The '99 went up, followed him like a Beretta shotgun, and the Leupold set for river-bottom Whitetails at 5x caught him centered, then followed and passed in swing.

The first shot missed, and instantly known to be too much lead. The lever seemed to work itself, and the second shot with less lead caught the Buck at the junction of the neck and shoulder, 85 yards at a dead run.

He skidded 12-14 feet in deep snow, dead.

1676792160196.jpeg

Three of us combed the dry riverbed in the snowstorm. Eight inches on the ground and comin' down heavy.

A signal whistle from the hunter in the ditch. But I already heard the buck coming right up my side, saw him crest the top at full escape strength and speed.

The '99 went up, followed him like a Beretta shotgun, and the Leupold set for river-bottom Whitetails at 5x caught him centered, then followed and passed in swing.

The first shot missed, and instantly known to be too much lead. The lever seemed to work itself, and the second shot with less lead caught the Buck at the junction of the neck and shoulder, 85 yards at a dead run.

He skidded 12-14 feet in deep snow, dead.

View attachment 1368385
Not saying your story didn't happen (especially since you included the picture of your prized trophy), but you should really look into writing short stories. Your tale put me right out there with you....and congrats on bagging a great buck.

P.S. You are correct about the post you made about your 1920, as well.

Not saying your story didn't happen (especially since you included the picture of your prized trophy), but you should really look into writing short stories. Your tale put me right out there with you....and congrats on bagging a great buck.
I really enjoy Spitpatch's writing as well. I told him a year or two ago that if he hasn't made a living writing, he likely could. Here was a thread he started that I thought was great, in case you missed it: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/t...r-die-in-1950-giants-walked-the-earth.392161/