JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got my Sav. 99 in 300 Sav. back in the mid 80s second hand. The original owner let me have it for a song as back them these rifles, especially the later production ones, weren't that expensive I think I recall giving something like $200 for it which was a lot back in my early 20s. For one thing, the stock had that painted on finish like you see on the Glenfield rifles and it was a bit scratched up, but the wood was fine, and the sights were missing and try as I may, I could never find any replacements for it so I've always run a scope on it. I refinished the stock and the funny thing is it has a stock and forend found on the Deluxe model but it was just kinda plain and not refined but it turned out fine.

I was given two boxes of Remington Core-Lokt 150 gr. SP and a box of Winchester Super X 150 gr. Silver Tip ammo with it, some of which I still have in the box. I bought around 100 pieces of Winchester factory brass to reload for it, but the majority of the brass I use is made by reforming .308 Win. and 7.62 NATO brass to 300 Sav. which I've always found plenty of that lying around at the range, nobody wanted.

It's mainly one of my go-to rifles these days for shooting cast bullet loads in, as it's very accurate with several bullets I cast for 30 cal. rifles. One of my favorites is the Arsenal 170 gr. FN Ranch Dog clone in gas check and plane base version.

100_1039.JPG

Converted 7.62 NATO brass loaded with Arsenal 170 gr. FN bullets.

100_3160.JPG

Groups pretty good as well.
100_31492.JPG

Last Edited:
Nice rifles! Great that you can make your own cases and reload for it- a lot more shooting that way! The .300 Savage is an excellent round.
A friend's Dad left him an early one in 1972, quasi-collectable at the time. Also a bunch of comm ammo and a reloading set up for it. IIRC there wasn't much difference between the 99 and my much newer .308 BLR... Otis wasn't really a hunter, but he treasured that rifle both for it's connection to his Dad, and it's fine deer-hunting record in Illinois and Michigan. Whitetail popper!

Last Edited:
I really like the shape of the forend on your rifle, @Reloader762 .
Much classier than the pressed checkering on my wife's 243. I shaved all of the original finish but didn't even try to get it out of the checkering. It did make a neat two-tone that she really likes, though. When I saw the color of the wood I decided not to try and re-stain it.

Lindas 243.jpeg

I got my Sav. 99 in 300 Sav. back in the mid 80s second hand. The original owner let me have it for a song as back them these rifles, especially the later production ones, weren't that expensive I think I recall giving something like $200 for it which was a lot back in my early 20s. For one thing, the stock had that painted on finish like you see on the Glenfield rifles and it was a bit scratched up, but the wood was fine, and the sights were missing and try as I may, I could never find any replacements for it so I've always run a scope on it. I refinished the stock and the funny thing is it has a stock and forend found on the Deluxe model but it was just kinda plain and not refined but it turned out fine.

I was given two boxes of Remington Core-Lokt 150 gr. SP and a box of Winchester Super X 150 gr. Silver Tip ammo with it, some of which I still have in the box. I bought around 100 pieces of Winchester factory brass to reload for it, but the majority of the brass I use is made by reforming .308 Win. and 7.62 NATO brass to 300 Sav. which I've always found plenty of that lying around at the range, nobody wanted.

It's mainly one of my go-to rifles these days for shooting cast bullet loads in, as it's very accurate with several bullets I cast for 30 cal. rifles. One of my favorites is the Arsenal 170 gr. FN Ranch Dog clone in gas check and plane base version.

View attachment 1335311
According to my 1981 Savage catalogue, you've got a Model 99C.
Shows the same fore end stock and everything.
Is it pretty easy to reform .308 brass into .300 cases?

Thanks @DeanMk , for firing this thread back up. I've got a new one to show off. :)
I picked up a 99 in 300 Sav. I took the opportunity to compare 300 Savage and 308 Winchester cartridges. They are very close in design and dimensions. Resizing certainly looks "do-able".
Here's the one I have. Believe it was made in 1951. It needs a more appropriate scope.

Savage 2.jpg

According to my 1981 Savage catalogue, you've got a Model 99C.
Shows the same fore end stock and everything.
Is it pretty easy to reform .308 brass into .300 cases?
Yes, basically all you have to do is lube a .308 Win or piece of 7.62 NATO brass and run it up into the 300 Sav. FL resizing die then trim the case neck back to the proper length. It would be beneficial to anneal the shoulder area of the original parent case before reforming but I never have but I don't shoot any high pressure loads with the reformed brass.

X51 to 300 Sav..jpg

I use a jig in a chop saw to cut the case neck length of the reformed brass close so I don't ware out my brass trimmers cutting head with what amounts to about 1/4" of the brass from the reforming process.

300.jpg

The forend was used on several models it appears, I will have to look at he model number on my rifle and see what it is exactly.

s-l1600.jpg

Last Edited:
Yes, basically all you have to do is lube a .308 Win or piece of 7.62 NATO brass and run it up into the 300 Sav. FL resizing die then trim the case neck back to the proper length. It would be beneficial to anneal the shoulder area of the original parent case before reforming but I never have but I don't shoot any high pressure loads with the reformed brass.

View attachment 1367103

I use a jig in a chop saw to cut the case neck length of the reformed brass close so I don't ware out my brass trimmers cutting head with what amounts to about 1/4" of the brass from the reforming process.

View attachment 1367109
Good info, thanks!

View attachment 1367103
Yes. Great write-up by @Reloader762, especially the suggestion about the chop saw.
After forming, I amneal my brass before loading and shooting.
Because of the rim/case head design of the 7.62 vs 300 Sav, the converted brass extracts more reliably.
Ok, we seem to have some confusion about the annealing part of this process.
I think I know the answer, but I'm going to go into this with an open mind because I'm sure you guys know far more about reloading than I do.
So which is it, before or after?

Ok, we seem to have some confusion about the annealing part of this process.
I think I know the answer, but I'm going to go into this with an open mind because I'm sure you guys know far more about reloading than I do.
So which is it, before or after?
I keep my brass well annealed. @osprey is correct, and I'm of the opinion that you also want to anneal *after* forming, because you're putting an awful lot of work into it.

been reloading for forty years, haven't annealed a case yet. usually get a half dozen or so reloads per case.
I have also been reloading for 40 years or so and just picked up annealing in my process in the last couple years. Is it imperative to do it, no but it has application for me. Brass in some cartridges has been hard to find so I like the possibility of better brass longevity. I do fire form and do some die forming also. Annealing definitely helps in those exploits. However, the main reason I got into annealing is to achieve more consistent neck tension in search of better accuracy. I have seen some tangible results in this vein.
As always ymmv and annealing is not for everybody.

1676765495093.jpeg
Top to bottom:
1899A "Saddlegun" or "Short Rifle" (1980's "revival" gun)
Model 99F ("Featherweight")
Model 99 EG
Model 99 EG Undrilled for scope mounts. (this one "got away"!)
Model 99, I believe what is called an RS. Very beefy buttstock for scope usage, similarly fat "beavertail" forearm.
All are .250-3000 Savage caliber, except the RS. It's a .308, and the only '99 .308 that I found comfortable to shoot. It is a heavy gun.

The '99 .250 taught me how to shoot high powered rifles.