JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my old Savage 99 in.308 got out of the safe the other day. It remains The Most accurate rifle I own, up to 3 shots then she starts to spray a bit.
I was given this rifle when I was twelve and hunted everything with it until I was well-off enough to buy more rifles and re-retire the 99.
It was my dad's for 40-odd years and his uncle's before that. It's at least 80 years old.

Here's the issue: it has the original Weaver 4x but the lenses are cloudy and what looks like mold on the inside and outside of the scope. I'd like to replace it with a modern optic, maybe Leupold.
The rifle is worn and used, and the scope matches. What does the group think about putting a nice, shiny, matte scope on a classic rifle? Goofy/not goofy? Any better options?

If your gonna hunt it much go for it! Scopes come off.
I have been toying with putting one on my 99 in 300 savage which has plugged factory scope mounting holes on it already. It has never had anything but the flip up Lyman peep sight on it. I don't see well with iron sights any more but the thing is I can still do well with the peep sight so will probably chicken out.. I like my new 6.5 X 55 so i'm not likely to hunt with it making it not a pressing thing to do.

I had a '99 in .308 that had an old Redfield "TV" Scope mounted on rings that lifted the scope high enough to use the iron sights or the scope. How about a nice vintage Leupold if you want to keep the classic look?

I would look into getting the scope fixed/rebuilt. There is a place that rebuilds them in Ohio I believe.
Came here to say this.

I would check to see if they just clean up and restore what you have or if they can also replace the glass elements. If they're just fogged up, then they can usually be cleaned. However, if it is fungus growing then the glass is being etched by that fungus. Even if you could get rid of all the fungus, the glass would still be junked.

So, it is possible that your old scope just needs a disassembly and cleaning. If its fungus though...

Edit to add: have this done by a professional. Lens disassembly and assembly is an exercise in exacting standards and meticulousness. I can't imagine scopes are that different.

Last Edited:
Mine was a 99E so 1953 manufacture. DSCN1387.JPG

In my mind, if it can easily be cleaned up, go that route, but if not, buy some new quality glass like the Leopold. The Savage 99 is a fine hunting rifle. Enjoy. :)

In my mind, if it can easily be cleaned up, go that route, but if not, buy some new quality glass like the Leopold. The Savage 99 is a fine hunting rifle. Enjoy. :)
Yes, I had a new stainless 26" barrel put on my .308 Model 99. Now the thing is ridiculously accurate, holding 1/2" groups at 100 yards. I had been told that lever-actions aren't that accurate but I am here to tell you, yes they are. And my Nikon Pro-Staff 3x9x40 is an excellent scope

So my old Savage 99 in.308 got out of the safe the other day. It remains The Most accurate rifle I own, up to 3 shots then she starts to spray a bit.
I was given this rifle when I was twelve and hunted everything with it until I was well-off enough to buy more rifles and re-retire the 99.
It was my dad's for 40-odd years and his uncle's before that. It's at least 80 years old.

Here's the issue: it has the original Weaver 4x but the lenses are cloudy and what looks like mold on the inside and outside of the scope. I'd like to replace it with a modern optic, maybe Leupold.
The rifle is worn and used, and the scope matches. What does the group think about putting a nice, shiny, matte scope on a classic rifle? Goofy/not goofy? Any better options?
When my dad's ancient ol' Bushnell suddenly fogged up on a hunting trip, they honored the original warranty and replaced the scope, no questions asked.
Turn around was pretty quick, too. I think he had the new scope back on the gun within a week.
Same 3-9X40 he sent them. Still sits on the gun to this day.
Maybe Weaver could do a repair/replacement on your scope, too....would be worth an email or a phone call, anyway.
...and if they don't / won't, they do offer an economy series called "Kaspa".
Maybe some others can chime in on the worth of those, but a 2-7X32 @ $132.45 MSRP certainly has my interest peaked.

Dean

P.S. - Found this --> Reviews & Ratings for Weaver Kaspa 2-7X32 Dual-X Rifle Scopes -- Well, at least 6 people liked it! :)

Last Edited:
No rifle is any better then the sighting system. Open, peep, scope, it makes no difference. Old Weaver scopes area dime a dozen at gun shows. Do yourself a favor and put on the best scope that you can afford. If you ever decide to part with the rifle you can always take off the new scope and replace it with an older weaver if you prefer to keep the whole outfit period correct.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top