JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This rifle has always had an issue with occasional light strikes unless I was very deliberate and forceful in operating the bolt. This past week though I had it out hunting and I was getting FFF's way more often than my liking and re-cocking the bolt did result in the round firing. My go to range ammo has been CCI Maxi Mag, but this trip I was primarily using Hornady V-Max. What has me suspecting a headspace problem was the condition of the brass after firing and I wanted to ask if this is actually a symptom of too much headspace. It is hard to see in the photo but the rims are tilted towards the side of the firing pin strike (all on the right side in photo) and the base is bulged. In comparison, the brass from the 93R17 in 17 HMR that we were shooting had nice flat square rims. I have already made arrangements to drop this off with @Velzey for inspection/repair, but I thought I would throw this brass questions out here. Thoughts?

IMG_20200702_150850359.jpg

I just went thru this last week with a friends gun. Can you post a picture of the f pin strikes? This is not uncommon on 93's.
Not sure about headspace...but some folks believe one problem can be the shape of the pin ... actually striking part of the barrel. Lets us know what Velzey finds out.

Frustrating for sure. They look like the light hits on my friends rifle...wish I was more help.
I know of many sage rats in the crosshairs that survived because of this.
GLW fix.

Roger that, especially when my son and I would be on the same rat and I go click and he goes bang dead. LOL. @Velzey is re-tapping some holes in a 22/45 Lite upper for me right now and I'll drop this one off when I pick that one up. He has seen this before.

I don't know if this means a darn thing but here are some pics of FP hits with and without a shim between the bolt handle and the receiver.

No Shim
No Shim.jpg

With Shim
With Shim.jpg

Looking more that way. Be interesting to see how the whole "shim" thing works. I am assuming that the shim is in between the bolt halves.

Roger that, especially when my son and I would be on the same rat and I go click and he goes bang dead. LOL. @Velzey is re-tapping some holes in a 22/45 Lite upper for me right now and I'll drop this one off when I pick that one up. He has seen this before.
Today, started have some of the same issues with two Savage rifles. I know this is well over a year ago bit were you able to get a resolution from your Gunsmith?
Thanks!!

I have not taken it out there yet. He was in the middle of the whole fire mess last year, and when he was able to get my pistol done he offered to mail it back. I did go shoot the Savage a few weeks ago and it went bang on every CCI Maxi Mag and not on the V-max, so I'll see how it performs with the CCI in the field in a few weeks. I do still have the shim job in the back of my head tho. Good luck with yours.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top