JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have to price out some stuff for a friend to probably sell. I'm not really finding any values for this rifle.
Can anyone offer up an idea of the value..I know it depends on condition etc. etc. but I'm looking for some kind of idea.
The values I've seen are 250~600 and all across the board.
I'm also NOT finding this stock in any images... custom made?

Dan

IMG_6647.JPG IMG_6648.JPG IMG_6649.JPG IMG_6650.JPG IMG_6652.JPG IMG_6654.JPG IMG_6655.JPG IMG_6656.JPG

Last Edited:
I really like the engraving on the stock. Very nice.

Alas, I do not know much about these rifles, so cannot offer ideas as to value. I'm sure someone here can though. :)

You should watermark the pics so six people don't start selling it on GunBroker tonight.
As long as I have possession of the rifle, sell away I reckon. If they go after the Grand Marnier in the background, they better be able to soak up some lead or run faster then 1340FPS.. :)

Dan

These are excellent shooting little rifles.
The stock is "stock"...the carving is home made..

Your sights are somewhat desirable...as they are the earlier "wheel adjustable" / Dockendorff style sight.
Whatever you do...don't lose the magazine...they are difficult to find and somewhat pricey.

As for value...ugh....
It depends on :
Location....
Time of sale...
Interest / popularity...
Book value...
Gun store value...
Internet market value...
And real world what it actually sells for value....

Where I live...you would be lucky to get $300 for this rifle.
Which is too bad ...as I said...these are excellent shooting rifles....just not too popular.
Andy

Where I live...you would be lucky to get $300 for this rifle.
Which is too bad ...as I said...these are excellent shooting rifles....just not too popular.
Andy
This ^^^
I'd agree with about $300.
It's a budget gun and can't compete price-wise with a flagship gun like M110, M70, M700 etc.

I had one in .22 Hornet and it was meh.
Sold it off.

I have to admit, a box-fed .30/30 is kind of neato. :)
It is indeed.
Far easier to load and unload when hunting..than a tube magazine rifle.
Plus for those that must...spitzer / pointed bullets are in the option if you reload.
( Yeah I know 'bout the Hornady "flex tip" :D )

As I said...they shoot very well...at least the ones that I owned.
They just are bit homely in looks.
Andy

When they were new they were mostly budget rifles with plain stocks. They fill the same job as a lever gun but are not as trim and carry friendly. Around here they bring $300 or less. I shot one as a kid, that belonged to an older cousin. It was accurate enough, very little recoil. This one got traded around the family as a first gun for the kids. They never really took off because they were awkward to mount a scope. But where I live now a scope is not that important! Good Luck, DR

Much appreciated for the responses from everyone. I'll let her know what you've all said and let her decide what to do. Thank you all very much... :D :D

Dan

Dan - Looks like there's currently 11 30-30s listed on gunbroker (Savage 340 and Stevens 325), average price: $300. I have actually picked up two of these in the past year, both off gunbroker. One a 70s era Western Auto Revelation 225 (Savage 340) in outstanding condition, and a 50s era 340 in almost new condition with not only the upgraded Dockendorff sights, but also has a really nice Lyman model 40 peep sight on it. I paid about $400 for each and was the only bidder. So they're cool and fun to shoot - I shoot both with cast bullets @ about 1400-1600 fps. and they are good shooters. As has been pointed out, they are strictly low end, budget, economy type "farmer" guns with alot of stamped sheet metal parts and manufacturing short cuts. Even the extractor is sheet metal! However, LOTS of parts and magazines on ebay. I'll agree with everyone else on the $300 (max) value of your friend's specimen.

I have a 325 that I paid $50 bucks for quite a while back, (8 years?). It was rough and took some TLC to bring it back to serviceable. My LGS had one for $375 that sold when everything went nuts. Good guns but fugly with not much value. PAX

Dan - Looks like there's currently 11 30-30s listed on gunbroker (Savage 340 and Stevens 325), average price: $300. I have actually picked up two of these in the past year, both off gunbroker. One a 70s era Western Auto Revelation 225 (Savage 340) in outstanding condition, and a 50s era 340 in almost new condition with not only the upgraded Dockendorff sights, but also has a really nice Lyman model 40 peep sight on it. I paid about $400 for each and was the only bidder. So they're cool and fun to shoot - I shoot both with cast bullets @ about 1400-1600 fps. and they are good shooters. As has been pointed out, they are strictly low end, budget, economy type "farmer" guns with alot of stamped sheet metal parts and manufacturing short cuts. Even the extractor is sheet metal! However, LOTS of parts and magazines on ebay. I'll agree with everyone else on the $300 (max) value of your friend's specimen.
Huge thank you for that info. I keep forgetting about GB since I never use them or any others. I prefer using NW or SW forums when possible, rarely sell and prefer local sales.

It looks as though the owner will have;
3 rifles....
this one,
a Rossi 92-SRS/.38/.357 LIKE new
and a NIB DPMS Panther/.223/5.56

1 shotgun...12ga Remington 1100 Magnum

and these pistols...
Glock 22/.40cal, used
NIB Kimber Ultra Carry II/.380-.22cal,
NIB Heritage Arms Rough Rider .22, SKU 727962500361 ////White Pearl grips
NIB Heritage Mfg Rough Rider .22, SKU 173091 ////Cocobolo grips
Browning Challenger .22 cal (pretty pitted but works great)
Hi-Point CF .380 ////less then 20 rnds fired///2 mags with CC holster
Beretta 21A .22 cal ////1 magazine///used but really clean /// Blued w-wood grips
Davis Industries DM-22 ////.22MAG Over/Under Derringer
Smith Wesson Model 66-1 Stainless .357

for sale in the next few days.

This rifle functions quite well but I haven't shot it. It definitely needs cleaning..

Dan

Last Edited:
I had one in .22 Hornet and it was meh.
Sold it off.
The 22 Hornet version had at least 2 different bore sizes depending on year of manufacturing and quality control From what I recall from my reading about them is if you slug the barrel to check which one you have and reload accordingly they can produce very acceptable results

The 22 Hornet version had at least 2 different bore sizes depending on year of manufacturing and quality control From what I recall from my reading about them is if you slug the barrel to check which one you have and reload accordingly they can produce very acceptable results
Mine was about a 1983 vintage.
I could never get it to shoot like I wanted.
Maybe bore size was the issue.

The Savage 340's (and 325's) were indeed "economy level" guns. Their accuracy was (is) not. I have owned five or seven of them simply because I learned just how accurate they are. I could not keep them around here because sooner or later someone stops by with a kid in need of a good rifle. One of those kids is now in his mid-20's and has taken multiple coast range deer and an elk with his.

I now have one .30-30: near mint condition and with the specifically designed Lyman model 40 peep (as noted by @esbshaw above). I intend to keep this one from young prying eyes.

Another held here is a 340 deluxe in .22 Hornet. Concern over bore diameter is needless. The .223 diameter barrels will shoot .224 bullets just fine (and sometimes better than .223 pills).

Toward accuracy, these guns might be the most under-rated rifles in existence. Often all they need is a good tear-down, cleaning and adjustment of the guard screws and the barrel-band screw. Remember: these are the same wonderful Savage barrels that made the reputation. Triggers on all I have owned have been superb. Later models are drilled for optics, and when installing the side mounts one should make alterations to insure the scope is perfectly centered over the bore (milling by hand the mating surface of the base to the receiver is rather effortless).

Pointy, high-end bullets can really take these little guns to town. Handloading the .30-30 to the top end of the book (where some '94's express disagreement) is possible as well. In guns such as this (and the Remington 788), the .30-30 cartridge establishes itself firmly on the list of "inherently accurate" cartridges.

Little known is another chambering: .225 Winchester. That is a holy grail (very rare) that I will wager would shoot like a house afire.

The Savage 340's (and 325's) were indeed "economy level" guns. Their accuracy was (is) not. I have owned five or seven of them simply because I learned just how accurate they are. I could not keep them around here because sooner or later someone stops by with a kid in need of a good rifle. One of those kids is now in his mid-20's and has taken multiple coast range deer and an elk with his.

I now have one .30-30: near mint condition and with the specifically designed Lyman model 40 peep (as noted by @esbshaw above). I intend to keep this one from young prying eyes.

Another held here is a 340 deluxe in .22 Hornet. Concern over bore diameter is needless. The .223 diameter barrels will shoot .224 bullets just fine (and sometimes better than .223 pills).

Toward accuracy, these guns might be the most under-rated rifles in existence. Often all they need is a good tear-down, cleaning and adjustment of the guard screws and the barrel-band screw. Remember: these are the same wonderful Savage barrels that made the reputation. Triggers on all I have owned have been superb. Later models are drilled for optics, and when installing the side mounts one should make alterations to insure the scope is perfectly centered over the bore (milling by hand the mating surface of the base to the receiver is rather effortless).

Pointy, high-end bullets can really take these little guns to town. Handloading the .30-30 to the top end of the book (where some '94's express disagreement) is possible as well. In guns such as this (and the Remington 788), the .30-30 cartridge establishes itself firmly on the list of "inherently accurate" cartridges.

Little known is another chambering: .225 Winchester. That is a holy grail (very rare) that I will wager would shoot like a house afire.
If you bought that Hornet off the rack at H&K in the early 80's it might have been mine.
There weren't many of them around.

I have to price out some stuff for a friend to probably sell. I'm not really finding any values for this rifle.
Can anyone offer up an idea of the value..I know it depends on condition etc. etc. but I'm looking for some kind of idea.
The values I've seen are 250~600 and all across the board.
I'm also NOT finding this stock in any images... custom made?

Dan

View attachment 1052134View attachment 1052135View attachment 1052136View attachment 1052137View attachment 1052138View attachment 1052139View attachment 1052140View attachment 1052141
I would start high, these have been selling well. Tigard Pawn had one not as nice as your friends for $330. I tried offering less numerous times over a couple of years. He never accepted any of my offers and eventually he sold it, probably for close to full price. Check the locked ads here for an idea of what these have sold for recently. Is he planning on local sale only or selling nationally on Gunbroker?