JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We are the Lost Tribe. We like Savage Model 24's. Since the split between Rifle and Shotgun discussion, where can we talk about them? Where can there be a discussion about perhaps the most versatile American sporting gun ever manufactured? NWFA has elected to relegate us to wandering between category and category, never finding solace.

Post here what you know and what you hold about the gun ready for anything: The Savage (Stevens) Model 24 and its variations. Even if you don't own one now, did you carry one in the field once or twice?

Here's some spark to the flame:

1967ADD_zps09126816.jpg

I have one in .223/20 with a black synthetic stock

I haven't shot it yet.

That is about all I have to share.

IIRC there were also the .308/etc. and 12 ga. models that were really Valmets without the ability to switch barrel sets? Or were they Tikkas?

Not sure what you mean by rifle and shotgun section is split. If you go look at the main forum area where you pick what sections it's clearly marked Rifle&Shotgun Discussion.

But i would love to own one of these is 22 magnum and 20 gauge.

rifle discussion.jpg

You see them once in a while in a gun show - usually for somewhere under $400.

I also have an M6 in .22/.410, bought new. Should have got it in .22 Hornet - wish I had. Now they don't make them and if you see them in a gun show they want $500 for them. For a while SA was advertising a pistol version, but they never put it on the market - maybe they could not get it approved?

With all the people making AR uppers and lowers and AKs in the US, you would think one of them would make a combo shotgun/rifle. I think the only ones you can get now in the USA are Valmet or Tikka (I think the latter are just rebranded Valmets) or the really expensive ones from Germany/etc.

There was also the Crossfire which was a pump shotgun with a .223 barrel fed from an AR mag. I saw one at the SHOT show, and then one later at a gun show. They never seem to have caught on.

Crossfire%20MK1.jpg

For all the people who say that they want something like this, there just must not be that much of a market.

The big problem for the USA (IMO) is that they are single shot, so they don't appeal to a lot of people.

The best price I ever saw for a nice one at a gun show was $500 and I bought it. The best deal I've gotten was $300 at a yard sale. I'm not looking for the plain models so they might be cheaper and I wouldnt know

I have a 22-410 Stevens, the forerunner of the Savage 24 series... I love it! Are you aware that it was the first production long gun with synthetic stock?

the only other varient I would enjoy owning is that 357-20 combination, I love 357 Magnum, and the 20, well that is what it comes with....

philip
in the BoonDocks... If we get any more Global Warming, I am going to move into my Oven!!!!

Used to have a .223 over 12 ga. Worked slick for rockchucks. Liked it really well but sold it. Musta thought I needed something else at the time.:nuts:

One of my hunting buddies keeps a .22 over 20 ga in his truck. It's taken a whole bunch of grouse.:s0155:

WAYNO.

Not sure what you mean by rifle and shotgun section is split. If you go look at the main forum area where you pick what sections it's clearly marked Rifle&Shotgun Discussion.

But i would love to own one of these is 22 magnum and 20 gauge.

I stand corrected. In the haste of the moment, I did confuse the Classifieds split with a category in which there has been no split: Discussion. Thanks (hey, it still sounded cool, even though fast and loose with the facts, huh?).

The Model 24 and accuracy:

1) In the rimfire guns (.22LR, .22WMR), generally the Model 24 with a rifle barrel that is welded full-length to the shotgun barrel will shoot more accurately than a rimfire barrel suspended at the front with either a welded block or a "carbine style" band just behind the muzzle. There are three methods of mating the two barrels: earlier guns (up to the late 60's or so) are most usually welded full length. These guns are inordinately accurate for a .22 of such a skinny barrel. But with the little barrel welded full length to the heavy-walled shotgun barrel (VERY STIFF), the result is the rimfire is a surprisingly consistent and accurate rifle.

2) The secret to making the "split barreled" (nearly all if not all centerfires above Hornet are of this barrel suspension type) guns shoot accurately (on paper), is to allow the barrel to cool COMPLETELY between each shot. This doesn't work for the "wanna hear a bang" crowd, as there's too much down time (I give a full five minutes between each shot with these guns: a time interval not granted to any other guns I regularly shoot.) This allows the rifle to perform just as it would in the field toward the purpose for which it was intended. These guns are meant to be carried in a serious hunting situation, a single shot placed skillfully, and quarry obtained. This is not a repeating rifle (but the second barrel is quickly available in the rare case it may be needed). These guns group amazingly well if this regimen is followed on the bench. Shot warm, they will disappoint.

3) "Regulating the barrels": I've pattern tested six Model 24's at 25 yards, then fired the rifle barrel into the same point of aim, and of course at that easy range for the rifle, the shot was not remarkably off center any direction in the circumference of the pattern. I have fired slugs also, and at 50 yards, the slug nearly always goes about 2-3" low from the rifle bullet at that range. Minute of deer heart, I'd say. A newer aquisition is a .357/20ga, and the previous owner claimed he regulated his rifle barrel (an explanation that contained usage of stress gauges and the like), to shoot synchronized with the shotgun slug at 75 yards. I have not tried it yet, but I suspect that a simple change of ammunition where slugs are concerned could make a giant of a difference as to impact point on target.

"You see them once in a while in a gun show - usually for somewhere under $400."

Negative, unless kinda doggy. Decent ones start at about $500. The problem is, these guns get USED, and so decent ones are getting tougher and tougher to find.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top