JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a new owner of a Savage 24-D series P, in .22 lr over 20 gauge. I was very excited to pick up from my FFL. When I got it home and inspected the operation I encountered a problem. I cock the hammer back, then fire, and the hammer is nowhere close to striking either firing pin regardless of which the hammer selector is set to. Now I haven't tried to fire any live ammunition, but I don't need a PhD in gun science to realize that the hammer HAS to strike the firing pin in order to go boom. It seems a lot like there is a hammer block safety engaged, but I don't see one anywhere on the firearm and can't find any mention of one no matter how I phrase it to Google. There is a sizable bar that seems to be impeding the hammer but it only matches up location-wise with an assembly pin, no cross-bolt safety sort of mechanism. I'm not familiar with these firearms other than handling at gun shops. As far as I know there is just a release lever, a hammer with barrel selector switch, and a trigger. The hammer does cock all the way rearward.

Does any experienced member here have any ideas? I'll try and attach a couple pics to show what I'm talking about. Thanks in advance.

I figured it out, I was just being a bonehead as I suspected. The previous owner finally got back to me. Apparently it uses a rebounding hammer action so that the hammer never rests on the firing pin. Since I've never come across this type of action before I wasn't looking for the hammer to strike the pin and rebound back into a half-cocked position. Sure enough if I pay real close attention I can see it quickly go all the way forward. It's amazing what you can see when you know what you're looking for.

The only other single-shots I've used are Rossi, which do have the hammer rest all the way forward. They have a hammer block safety but it is manual. Learn something new every day. Now I can't wait to get out and fire this classic. I've been looking for a while and finally got one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top