JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just messed up a finish job on a table top.
what I learned, ask questions before you start.
google is your friend.
Don't let some friends see it after you messed up.
Good luck with the project.

Here's a link to an interesting discussion about repairing cracked rifle stocks.

EDIT:

I finally found a good article on this. From what I'm reading, it sounds like your first attempt at repairing the stock could be because some oil had soaked into the wood during the gun's lifetime.

Last Edited:
So I took a real good look at the stock cracks yesterday so the pics show 3 cracks. The person who had it must have run out of ammo and used the butt end for a weapon. Just kidding but who knows:eek:. I do know that it sat in the corner of their garage for 10 years so could have been knocked around a little there as well as being exposed to the temperature variations. So with that said I'm going to start in on it which will take a while but will post update when I can.

Right top above grip.jpg Top at crown above grip (2).jpg Crack on right side of grip.jpg Crack on left sidw of receiver and grip.jpg

I'm going to post this as a step in the process of restoring the Savage 1899 stock which is after washing it thoroughly at least four times consecutively. I'll follow with a post of what happened during the next step.

I washing it I used warm to hot water with dish detergent and a stiff nylon brush and then rinsing with fresh hot water and wiping down with a towel. I then allowed it to sit for at lease 24 hours to dry out in each stage of the wash. Looking good so far, I think.

Sav99 Stock Restore Left Side Full.jpg Sav99 Stock Restore Right Side Full.jpg

Savage stock repair chapter 4.

This set of picks are the next step where I tried using some oven cleaner on the dark spot areas to raise any additional imbedded oils. You will notice that it looks like there are some areas that now show areas of the cleaners running and a ring around the butt plate end. I left the cleaner on for 20-25 minutes then rinsed in clean warm water. And then rinsed again when I saw the dark areas. I looked a lot closer and the stock looked more like the dog was chewing on it. :eek:The pics of the butt stock are after I lightly sanded in the areas that were the roughest.

If you zoom in and look close you can see how rough the wood is after being chewed up by the chemicals. Sooooooo... Point taken: Don't use oven cleaner on your stock WITHOUT using it on some like wood so you know what the results might be ahead of time otherwise SURPRISE. :s0149:

Meanwhile I'm heading down to Brownell's (yes I know it's a long walk) for some Whiting and hope I can back up enough to recoup while trying to persevere to get the cracks fixed without my destroying the whole butt stock. By then maybe they'll have the Acraglas and repair pins back in stock.
:s0013:

Sav99 Stock left side forearm the dog ate It.jpg Sav99 Stock right side forearm the dog ate It.jpg Sav99 Stock left side the dog ate It.jpg Sav99 Stock right side the dog ate It.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top