Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Savage .17 grouping?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Gaius, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Gaius

Gaius Oregon Member

Got my new Savage 92r17 sighted in tonight with come CCI 17gr ammo. Got a good 1inch grouping in the bullseye. Loaded up some Hornady 17gr ammo, group was an inch low and an inch to the left. Tried CCI ammo, back into center.

I'm pretty new to target shooting (used to hunt years ago) but this seems odd to me. Is this normal for different ammo to be that off at 100 yards?

2. sailorman2010

sailorman2010 Tri-Cities, WA Member

I've used the same ammo as you. The CCI was all over the place for me, it made it hard to sight in. Then I used the Hornady VMax 17gr and it shot low and to the left, but its groups were tight, I just adjusted for that and its a tac driver now.

Have fun with that Savage, I love mine!

3. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

As long as the groups are tight,that's all that matters.
    Once you find which rounds group the smallest then adjust your scope accordingly. Or adjust your POA

4. Gaius

Gaius Oregon Member

Good to know. It's a better gun than I can shoot it right now, so I can't tell if it's the ammo or me yet. But I did have a winger with the CCI that I thought shouldn't have been. I'll switch over to the Hornady.

Interesting though, out of 20 shots with the Vmax, I had 2 misfires.

5. TyPercy

TyPercy Vancouver, WA Member

I have only ever shot hornady through mine, but at 100 yards I consistently have dime size groups. I love it.