JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Good morning; I never received a reply from my email to Savage. I called their customer support line this AM and spoke with a rep. She stated that due to liability issues, they can not provide me with the information I requested regarding re-chambering to 22-250. She suggested that I call a local gunsmith, which I did. His response mirrored that of Goosebrown. They stated;

"You can swap bolts. A new bolt is about $100. You can also swap bolt faces for less but it's a bit of work.

There are two bolts/faces one for 222,223,222mag, 204 and 6x45. And one for 22-250, 243, all the BRs, 6 creedmore, 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x47, 260, 270, 280, 284, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06, and all the cartridges based on the 250 savage or 30-06."

The gunsmith stated that it should take between two and three hours at the most to make the changeover, depending on how much time it takes to adjust the head space.

You need the appropriate headspace gauges, go and no-go. You need a barrel vice which you can make from hardwood and a receiver nut wrench which you can get with the barrel for about $25 I think. Barrels are $300-350 and the gauges are about $60 I believe. They last forever of course. First time you remove the barrel nut you need a cheater bar because they have a gorilla tightening them in the factory.

Lots of videos on line for now.

Attached please find a photo. Let me know if it helps answer the question. Savage bolt.jpg

He's looking for the center to center distance of the screw holes on the bottom that hold the stock to the action. This number tells you a lot about the action and what stocks it can use.

See photo. 7 1/2" +/- from rear trigger guard screw to front. From front to center (front trigger guard screw) is 4 1/4" +/-). Savage stock.jpg

Last Edited:
In an effort to be helpful despite my obvious lack of gunsmithing knowledge, I located the following;

Savage Centerfire Action Lengths
Savage Centerfire Action Length Identification. To help determine what action you have, here are the action screw center-to-center measurements.
Long Action: 5.062" (all years)
3rd Gen Short: 4.400" (2006 - present)
2nd Gen. Short: 4.275" (1998 - 2005)
1st Gen. Short: 4.522" (1959 - 1988)
Striker:
Additional Notes:
- The 1st Generation Short-Actions are today commonly referred to as "J-Series". This is incorrect as a "Series" designation simply refers to a slight design change. Rifles marked "Series J" can be either a 1st Gen. short-action or a long-action.
- The 2nd. Generation Short-Actions comprise most of what you will run across.
- The 3rd Generation Short-Actions are the newest production models and can be easily identified as they will have the new center-feed magazine system. The only exception is rifles originally built in .223 Remington or .204 <broken link removed> as Savage has yet to release a center-feed magazine for these smaller diameter cartridges.

Take the above chart with however many grains of salt you will, as much of what's on the internet is questionable~

I'm familiar with the chart that's why I'd like to know what short action your's is. It makes a big difference when it comes time to select a stock for it.

I'm guessing yours is a Gen 2, but I'd rather not guess.

Hi;

See above amended reply that I posted earlier in response to your request. I should have posted it as a reply instead of correcting the original. Apologies.

"From front to center (front trigger guard screw) is 4 1/4" +/-)."

And so; 2nd Gen. Short: 4.275" (1998 - 2005)

This is in line with the production period when it left the factory in Oct. 2000.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.