JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
#1.jpg
Savage 12FV-S .223; S/N M006XXX

Reduced from $750~
Now $650~

New in Box

#2.jpg
The bore has been seasoned with twenty three rounds of custom match grade hand loads. They are 70 grain Berger / match primers / 26 gr. Varget powder in new nickel RP cases.

Chambered in .223;

This example left the Savage factory in October 2000. Note the non-standard special order configuration. The barrel is a 24" stainless, non-fluted, extra heavy bull / button rifled, free-floating with a recessed crown. 1/9 rate of twist. It has a single shot action with a stainless bolt but with a blued bolt handle. It has a dual pillar bedded black synthetic stock. The trigger is "old school" as opposed to the now (despised by many) "Accu Trigger" .

#3.jpg

It was taken out of the box, checked for fit and finish, the bore was seasoned as noted, cleaned / oiled and put in the safe, where it's remained for the rest of it's life.

It is new in box with the exception of seasoning the bore as previously described.

As an alternative to cash, I'd consider, as partial trade, a Marlin Model 39a, dating from 1953 or earlier, with Ballard rifling in excellent original condition.

541-821-8949

Please Note; This is a modern firearm and requires a background check and transfer through a licensed FFL.

PS: Don't bother texting - I can't receive or reply to them. I repeat - Do Not Text!

#1.jpg

#2.jpg

Last Edited:
Good morning;
Thanks for your inquiry. As mentioned, the rifle was a special order. The barrel is indeed a factory installed 24". See attached photos. 12 full.jpg 12 bbl.jpg

My acquisition of this rifle coincided with that of my first AR. In as much as the reloading methods (specifically case sizing) differ between bolt and gas guns, I opted to mothball this weapon rather than have two separate lots of cases and ammo to keep separate.

I subsequently purchased a new 12FV with a fluted stainless 26" barrel chambered in 22-250. It too was a tack driver and out of the box shot nickel sized groups off the bench. The Savage 12 series were, in my opinion, the best value out there at the time. For the money, they still are~

1) what is the weight? - According to the kitchen scale, it weighs in at 8lb. 14 oz.
2) what is the diameter at the muzzle? - It is .825 - measured with a dial caliper, or between 13/16" & 7/8" with a ruler. See attached photo.

Sav12 muzzle.jpg

This could be a good base for the rifle I'm trying to build. We'll have to see the damage the holidays have done, but after that, I may come back to this after the fallout from gift giving has settled.

FWIW this action is a prize. A Savage single shot action is impossible to get unless you go to the TargetActions and they are $550 on their own. You can add a new barrel in any caliber with a .384" bolt face for $350 with a Criterion Prefit barrel that will outshoot most rifles out there. If you are going for a long range target, be sure to get a fast twist to stabilize heavier bullets, you will actually want as heavy as you can shoot most likely.

If you want to change the bolt out to a .473 bolt face (for most larger centerfires) then you can get one at Sharp Shooter's Supply who have the bolt parts for sale.

I would argue with the OP on the trigger though. There are three accutriggers. The standard, varmint and target. I have all three and they all work VERY well and are consistent. The target accutrigger is the best trigger on any rifle I have ever shot anytime and I have shot a LOT of target rifles. However a RifleBasix trigger that adjusts from 4oz up is $150 or so. Not a bad investment.

Good luck with your purchase if you can swing it.

With regards to the trigger, agreed. Notice I worded it "despised by many".

It seems that there are as many opinions out there, as there are triggers for the Savage model 12's.

I have an accu-trigger on my model 12FV chambered in 22-250, a standard trigger (which was "worked") on another model 12, and a Timney on my 116 chambered in .338 Win Mag. All three are excellent in their own regard.

Yes there are a lot of options. I am going to have to adjust my vamint accutrigger or replace it. I was happy with it till I started shooting the target trigger, now I can't use it but I am shooting the rifle as a long range target so I really want the lighter trigger.

There are only about three options I can find for Savage. Timney, Savage factory, Sharp Shooters Supply, and RifleBasix. I am really leaning toward the RifleBasix v2 just now. They have a VERY good video on installation and I think that I can do that.

in any event that is a fine rifle and hope you sell it soon. GLWS

Yes there are a lot of options. I am going to have to adjust my vamint accutrigger or replace it. I was happy with it till I started shooting the target trigger, now I can't use it but I am shooting the rifle as a long range target so I really want the lighter trigger.

There are only about three options I can find for Savage. Timney, Savage factory, Sharp Shooters Supply, and RifleBasix. I am really leaning toward the RifleBasix v2 just now. They have a VERY good video on installation and I think that I can do that.

in any event that is a fine rifle and hope you sell it soon. GLWS

I put the Sharp Shooter Supply one on my Savage action, barreled for 338 Edge. The installation instructions were very clear, and it was easy. I had to file the notch into the trigger guard, which was no big deal. I feel spoiled - it's currently running at 1lb pull, and I've never had a trigger that breaks so lightly, consistently or cleanly. I only wish he made one for Remington actions.

GLWS

Not sure what a zombie thread is but yes, it is still for sale. I'm a bit of a dinosaur, and forgot about this website until my IT guy asked about whether I wanted to save or delete this website from my hard drive after it went down in flames some time back. He was able to recover some data and this was one of the things that he suggested following up on.

FWIW this action is a prize. A Savage single shot action is impossible to get unless you go to the TargetActions and they are $550 on their own. You can add a new barrel in any caliber with a .384" bolt face for $350 with a Criterion Prefit barrel that will outshoot most rifles out there. If you are going for a long range target, be sure to get a fast twist to stabilize heavier bullets, you will actually want as heavy as you can shoot most likely.

If you want to change the bolt out to a .473 bolt face (for most larger centerfires) then you can get one at Sharp Shooter's Supply who have the bolt parts for sale.

I would argue with the OP on the trigger though. There are three accutriggers. The standard, varmint and target. I have all three and they all work VERY well and are consistent. The target accutrigger is the best trigger on any rifle I have ever shot anytime and I have shot a LOT of target rifles. However a RifleBasix trigger that adjusts from 4oz up is $150 or so. Not a bad investment.

Good luck with your purchase if you can swing it.
Sooo... With this chamber though, if you were to swap barrels and bolt face, you'd be limited on chambering's right? I have no clue but imagine with say a 270win, I could change it to a 30-06win etc simply by changing the barrel and maybe some other easier to change parts but if I wanted to make it a 22-250 I'd need all new action and the works, basically a new gun. Would some one be able to change this to a 22-250 or a 243 at some point? If so, my interest is up......

Sooo... With this chamber though, if you were to swap barrels and bolt face, you'd be limited on chambering's right? I have no clue but imagine with say a 270win, I could change it to a 30-06win etc simply by changing the barrel and maybe some other easier to change parts but if I wanted to make it a 22-250 I'd need all new action and the works, basically a new gun. Would some one be able to change this to a 22-250 or a 243 at some point? If so, my interest is up......
Alan;

Honestly, I have no clue at this point. I'm not a gunsmith. I will contact Savage on your behalf on Monday and forward you their response to your questions.

You can swap bolts. A new bolt is about $100. You can also swap bolt faces for less but it's a bit of work.

There are two bolts/faces one for 222,223,222mag, 204 and 6x45. And one for 22-250, 243, all the BRs, 6 creedmore, 6.5 creedmore, 6.5x47, 260, 270, 280, 284, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06, and all the cartridges based on the 250 savage or 30-06. There is also a magnum bolt but I don't know much about that.

What is really important is the length of the action. A 12 or 10 is a short action. A 111 is a long action. For 270 you need a long action. Same for 7mm Mauser and 30-06. Most other common cartridges are short action

I have two savage target rifles one with a small bolt face and one with a large face.
Between them I could shoot like 40 different cartridges.

This particular 12fv is some special order and to me it looks like a long action. Not a standard configuration.

This would be a great shooter no doubt.

Good morning all.

I've had a couple of inquiries asking me to sell the gun without running it "through the system". Just so we're all on the same page; A quick glance at Oregon Law states that a transfer outside of legal channels is a crime; anything from a Class A Misdemeanor on up to a class C Felony.

I'm not interested in breaking the law.

See following;

http://www.oregon.gov/osp/docs/sb941_information_sheet.pdf

I'm following up regarding my promised inquiry to Savage regarding their suggestions on re-chambering to different calibers. I sent the following to them on Sunday AM.

"I purchased this firearm new in box many years ago. According to my notes, this example left the Savage factory in October 2000. The barrel is a 24" stainless, non-fluted, extra heavy bull / button rifled, free-floating with a recessed crown. 1/9 rate of twist. With the exception of bore seasoning with twenty three rounds of custom match grade hand loads, it is new and un-fired.

I have a prospective buyer. He wishes to re-chamber it for 22-250. What is involved in making the change?"

So far; No Reply.

I will continue to monitor and post their response if and when I head back...

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.