JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just picked up a savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and talked the LGS to throw in a scope base as part of the deal. He gave me a weaver rail and it indicates that it is for this model 12's so I am not putting blame on the LGS. My issue is there is a notch for a recoil lug on the rail but not one on the receiver. This is my first savage rifle and am not sure why weaver would put this in unless it's just the LRP model that is different from other savage 12's. Does anyone have any input or experience with this rifle or other savage 12's? You can see the recoil lug on the rail in the second and third pics. Thanks all!

IMG_8905.JPG IMG_8908.JPG IMG_8909.JPG

I've drooled some over just this rifle in that caliber.

There are model 12's with both the open top receiver and the closed top like the one you have. Both have their advantages. The base is obviously for the open top one. You could either get a dremel and grind off the recoil lug from the base (not really needed with that gun weight and caliber) or take it back for one that goes on a closed-top receiver. If I were scoping that rifle I'd look for at least a 20 MOA base. It's for long range after all.

BTW if you modify this, before you start grinding make sure it will work when you are done (e.g. holes line up, curvature is correct, etc.).

I was actually in the LGS fondling the BA stealth in 6.5 and found this sitting next to it. I did some quick research on it via my phone in the store and walked out 30 min later with it. The target accu-trigger is amazing. It's about 2 lbs heavier than I was after but I knew I wouldn't be going farther than the bench with it anyway so I went for it. I took the mount back today and he is going to order a correct one for it. Doing his part to retain customers for sure. Picked up some Hornady 140gr ELD match bullets to start a couple loads with this weekend. Looking forward to getting it out soon.

I have the VLP DBM version of the model 12 in .243Win it uses a separate mounts and is an open top receiver with the Mueller 4-16 on top it weighs in at almost 14lbs. Not exactly a trail rifle but once you get your butt hunkered down you can reach out and wack a Coyote as far away as you can see them.

Savagemodel12wscope.jpg

I had that. You just grind off the spot for the lug on the base. Most bases now don't have that, some do. Its a pain. I shoot single hole groups with mine all the time so the grinding shouldn't matter.

@Mark W. What do you think of that Mueller? Are the optics clear at max magnification and does it track well? They have an 8-32 I am considering for mine.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top