JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've had this Savage 10PC for years and I've never been real happy with the stock. I don't care for the ACU camo pattern, but I can tolerate it. The real problem is that the grip is very long and uncomfortable. I'd like to get more of a vertical grip. I started to make one, but it's been a catastrophe (long, boring story).

I've looked at Choate's Tactical stock, but I've heard it's much heavier than others. The price is nice though - it's half of what everyone else is charging.

Anyway, I'm looking for input. Have you had luck modifying your stock to a more vertical grip? Or have your replaced your Model 10 stock with another stock that you would recommend? I'm on a budget, so $500+ is not going to happen.

Not a model 10, but a model 11 Hog Hunter in .308. Very similar rifles I believe. I put a Bell & Carlson Medalist Varmint Stock on it back in 2015. I paid $300 and I see they are still $300. It is heavy. The stock and scope made the gun almost 12 pounds, but it is a target rifle for me as I don't hunt. The extra weight tamed recoil enough so I decided not to put a muzzle break on it. I wouldn't want to pack the gun around because of the weight, but for target work, I love it.

original.jpg

Not a model 10, but a model 11 Hog Hunter in .308. Very similar rifles I believe. I put a Bell & Carlson Medalist Varmint Stock on it back in 2015. I paid $300 and I see they are still $300. It is heavy. The stock and scope made the gun almost 12 pounds, but it is a target rifle for me as I don't hunt. The extra weight tamed recoil enough so I decided not to put a muzzle break on it. I wouldn't want to pack the gun around because of the weight, but for target work, I love it.

View attachment 847212

Thanks, I'll check it out.

The Choat is pretty heavy and chunky but a decent stock.
I have the deluxe adjustable version that I cut for PTG bottom metal that I used for quite a while.
BDAB6D3D-A183-47E9-A57D-4CF52692B93D.jpeg
Damn that pic brings back memory's of me learning LR shooting!

There's some pretty affordable chassis systems as well.
see if you can find an older used XLR element.

The Choat is pretty heavy and chunky but a decent stock.
I have the deluxe adjustable version that I cut for PTG bottom metal that I used for quite a while.

There's some pretty affordable chassis systems as well.
see if you can find an older used XLR element.
If I understand right, the chassis systems only work with the newer Savage rifles that use the AICS style magazines. Mine's older. Thanks though!

If I understand right, the chassis systems only work with the newer Savage rifles that use the AICS style magazines. Mine's older. Thanks though!
It uses AI mags but as long as bolt spacing is right it works with any action.
AI mags feed a hell of a lot bet than most savags mags.
My model 11 originally had the plastic tab savage mags.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top