JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have never had any Savage rifles, but was on market for a 308Win with shorter heavy barrel. Someone was selling Savage 10 in 308 Win with 18in heavy barrel, varmint custom stock and vortex scope for cheap, so I decided to buy. I did not have much expectations for the rifle. Action is rough, metal magazine fits poorly and have feeding problem, barrel inside looks like crap (pitting, rifling looks rough with tons of machining marks, copper fouling all over, fire-cracking , etc). I took the rifle to the range and I could not believe how accurate the rifle is. I spent 5 rounds zeroing the rifle and took few 3- or 4-shot groups at 200 yards using Protector front/rear bag supports. Considering how bad the bore looks, I was going to be happy if I could get under 2MOA groups. Wow, from 4 groups that I shot at 200 yards using Federal 168gr Gold Match ammo, all the groups were under 1MOA including one 3-shot group at 0.35MOA. The rifle pretty much was shooting just around 0.6-08MOA groups. How can a barrel that looks so bad (inspected with a scope) shoot such accurately? Now my feelings about the rifle are mixed. Action, feeding and bolt angle throw sucks, but custom stock is "sexy" and very ergonomic, and accuracy is superb. Is there a way to improve the action on these Savage rifles? Can one change bolt angle throw (current one almost hits the scope)? I was able to improve magazine feeding by filing about 0.030" from magazine thickness around metal part where action screws go through, so I lifted the magazine about 0.030" and feeding seems much better. At least now the bolt is able to pick up every round. Previously, the bolt would only pick up about 1 in 3 rounds. By doing this modification magazine also fits tighter, but removing it is not as smooth as I would like. It is amazing that in this age of technology Savage makes rifles with poor machining such that my old Belgium FN Commercial Mauser is made "light-years" better than this Savage 10. I guess more expensive Savage rifles are made better, but I never had one to know for sure.

Cheers,
Dan

FN Commercial Mauser rifles and actions are very nice.

As for the Savage...
Yep...not at all in the same league as the above in the looks department...but they sure are good shooters.

Related ...
I have seen many a muzzle loader with a neglected bore , turn out to be fine shooters , after being properly cleaned and finding the right load.
Andy

I hear you! I have an Axis in 223 that the inside of the receiver looks like it was carved with an axe! The bolt wobbles down its travel, and the plastic mags don't inspire any confidence.
But with factory green box Remington 55 gr ammo it shoots 3/4" groups easily! I have made a few 1/2" groups when everything aligns.
I bought it with the idea of putting a Boyds stock on it, But as well as this thing shoots I can't see messing with success! DR

I was wondering if I would smoothen the feeding ramp with fine send paper, would action become smoother? The edges at the ramp are so sharp such that one could cut a finger if not careful. Seems that greasing the bolt with Swiss grease helps a little bit.

I have never had any Savage rifles, but was on market for a 308Win with shorter heavy barrel. Someone was selling Savage 10 in 308 Win with 18in heavy barrel, varmint custom stock and vortex scope for cheap, so I decided to buy. I did not have much expectations for the rifle. Action is rough, metal magazine fits poorly and have feeding problem, barrel inside looks like crap (pitting, rifling looks rough with tons of machining marks, copper fouling all over, fire-cracking , etc). I took the rifle to the range and I could not believe how accurate the rifle is. I spent 5 rounds zeroing the rifle and took few 3- or 4-shot groups at 200 yards using Protector front/rear bag supports. Considering how bad the bore looks, I was going to be happy if I could get under 2MOA groups. Wow, from 4 groups that I shot at 200 yards using Federal 168gr Gold Match ammo, all the groups were under 1MOA including one 3-shot group at 0.35MOA. The rifle pretty much was shooting just around 0.6-08MOA groups. How can a barrel that looks so bad (inspected with a scope) shoot such accurately? Now my feelings about the rifle are mixed. Action, feeding and bolt angle throw sucks, but custom stock is "sexy" and very ergonomic, and accuracy is superb. Is there a way to improve the action on these Savage rifles? Can one change bolt angle throw (current one almost hits the scope)? I was able to improve magazine feeding by filing about 0.030" from magazine thickness around metal part where action screws go through, so I lifted the magazine about 0.030" and feeding seems much better. At least now the bolt is able to pick up every round. Previously, the bolt would only pick up about 1 in 3 rounds. By doing this modification magazine also fits tighter, but removing it is not as smooth as I would like. It is amazing that in this age of technology Savage makes rifles with poor machining such that my old Belgium FN Commercial Mauser is made "light-years" better than this Savage 10. I guess more expensive Savage rifles are made better, but I never had one to know for sure.

Cheers,
Dan
That was my experience. Very accurate but the stock was like rubber under recoil. I could not believe the difference when I purchased a Rem700 PSS

Cheap Savage in a good company of my Tikka Tac A1 6.5CM (w/ Kieger varmint barrel).

Rifles#1.jpg

I did not have much expectations for the rifle. Action is rough, metal magazine fits poorly and have feeding problem, barrel inside looks like crap (pitting, rifling looks rough with tons of machining marks, copper fouling all over, fire-cracking , etc).
Besides that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
(Not my quote of course.) Glad you found an interesting rifle.

I've said this before, but I had to spend a hefty chunk of change $$ upgrading my Remington 700 until it could equal the groups of my old Bi-Mart Savage 111, which was 100% stock.

That was years ago, I don't know how Savage quality is now. But I still see people buying them and shooting them at the range. If someone gave me a Savage bolt rifle I would be quite happy.

I am always surprised each time I buy a savage. They aren't the prettiest, but damn they can shoot. It's not a brand I always look to first. Maybe I should change that!

My current Savage started life as a Cabela's 12FV in .223. Shot great, but over time, I decided I wanted something capable of longer range shooting, and did a barrel swap to 6.5 CM with a take-off barrel from the same model Savage. Also shot great, but was a serious copper mine, through the bore scope it looked like the bore had been "finished" with a wood rasp. Still shot great, sub-MOA with pretty much any ammo, and better with loads it liked. But cleaning was a major chore even after just a few rounds, so I treated myself to a Criterion barrel. And that's quite possibly one of the biggest things in favor of Savage rifles, barrel swaps are really easy, and there are tons of pre-fit barrels available at good prices.

As to your action woes, I don't know what to say, mine has always been fine. In fact, the action is the only part of that rifle that's still Savage. As it was always going to be a bench rifle, I eliminated the blind mag early on in favor of a single shot sled, then when I changed the bolt head for the Creedmoor, I also eliminated the ejector, I don't like chasing brass. But bottom line, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Savage, and I'd buy another Savage before another Remington or Howa, the only other bolt guns I've owned fairly recently. If you decide to do a barrel swap, hit me up, I've got the tools you'd need and will be happy to loan them to you. Later, and good luck!

Dave

I did some fine sanding around edges (I know removing protective coating might cause rusting, but I take care of rifles enough to prevent rust) and the action is somewhat smoother now. I applied Swiss K31 grease on the bolt, and that does help too.

Man, I must have gotten my 10 FCP Fluted .308 from one of those exceptionally rare days when everything went right at the factory, Mine is glassy smooth, and feeds flawlessly, the barrel was bright and shiny new with nary a tool mark or anything else, and shoots Nickle sized groups all day and night! Is it prefect, hardly, but boy does she shoot! Only custom work to the rifle has been replacing the extractor with a hardened tool steel one with a stiffer spring and carbide detent ball along with a hardened bolt head spring to take the pressures better. No hand lapping the bolt lugs or any polishing of anything, and it's almost as smooth as my Tikka Super Varmint, which is really saying something! The factory trigger was actually pretty good, but a custom trigger to replace the stock accu-trigger and the swap of stocks to the newer/better Accu-Stock with ACIS bottom metal was the only real mod it really needed, that and having the barrel threaded for a Big Bubba Brake! This Savage is close to 15 years old and still shoots as good as the day I got it! While Savage will never win any beauty contests, they can sure dance with the best, and usually school them in how it's done!
I thought highly enough of that rifle that I went out and got the then new 110 in .338 Lapua Mag, mostly so as not to use up my TRG-42 while enjoying all the .338 goodness, that Savage is an exceptional shooting rifle costing less then a third of what that base SAKO costs, and shoots nearly as well! Added a 10T-SR to the collection around 6 years ago, Cabelas had them on sale at the time, Accu-Trigger, Accu-Stock, and all that, less then $600 out the door, and it takes both the ACIS or Mag-Pul Mags. Only thing I didn't like was the funky chunky knurled barrel bolt handle, $35 bucks from Brownells for the 10 FCP Factory Target style bolt handle and a 4 day wait, and some serious allen wrench time and it was an easy swap! It's been my experience that NO factory built Remington 700 EVER shot near as well as the plain jane Savage 10/111/116 series rifles, you gotta spend a small fortune to get that 700 to shoot close to what a factory Savage can do right outta the box, the very fact we're even comparing Savage to Tikka should tell you everything you ever needed to know about Savage!

Savage stocks leave alot to be desired and stock upgrades are something i am going through right now. I'm a mcmillan guy at heart but i couldnt see dumping 1k on a stock for a savage. after handling a bunch of after market stocks i decided to go with GRS. For my SA's i am getting GRS Bifrost's and the 338LM its the GRS Warg.
When i get home next year i will put everything together.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top