JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello NWFA!

Canada Goose season is Sep 9-17. Anyone gonna be hunting on Sauvie Island? I'm a first timer at any kind of Waterfowl hunting and I'd appreciate some tips.

What time of day is best?
What Unit's have you had luck in?
How much camo is really necessary?
Should I get a Canada Goose call whistle?
What size shot, choke?
should we use blinds?

We will be hunting without a dog, is it crazy to think we can get a few shots over shallow water or land? I have knee high rubber boots.

Thanks in advance.
I'll be on the east side unit opening day shooting doves and scouting any area's you guys tell me about.

Dave

I'll chime in on this one although I've never hunted Sauvie Island before so this will be a generic reply.
I have shot many geese over decoys on dry land, the key is to make a contact call to get their attentin to your perfectly laid out setup then stay silent unroll it appears that they are not interested then give a come back call, be still & quiet once they approach & set their wings. DO NOT GET ANY & SKYBUST EM.... Although twice while I was in my boat cruising a slough targeting ducks we did shoot six geese that had just jumped into the river when we came around the bend.
Any time that I hunted geese or ducks over or around water I've wore chest waders because I never knew what was going to happen & water depth does fluctuate on the coastal rivers I hunt (just like on the Big C.)
I've also hunted along side friends with & without a dogs and I'll tell you it sure nice to see an experienced dog working to get that not so dead bird that has a will to survive.;)

Good luck

Ditto Jim... I don't hunt birds w/o a dog, especially waterfowl. They can get lost pretty fast.

I've always worn chest waders with full camo shirt, coat, hat, gloves. Nothing white or orange!!! Those suckers have great vision so stay still. I hunt from blinds but it's really going to depend on the area.

Here's some good reading on steel shot sizes for geese: The Best Loads For Geese

Great info on that site, I use the 1 1/4 oz #2 over a dry spread in the 1 & 2 chamber then a BB for last shot when they get to movin after they been shot at.... It works for me...;)
6 years ago I got a popcorn Lab (white w/brown accents) to train into my waterfowl partner but I failed the training portion & spoiled the crap out of her so she is worthless on the hunt but an excellent Lap dog....:D

All the regs on geese make me nervous.:mad: I'm told its best to have a hole already dug for the illegal culls.:rolleyes:
As for ducks, the nastier the weather the better! :)at least for Sophie.

All the regs on geese make me nervous.:mad: I'm told its best to have a hole already dug for the illegal culls.:rolleyes:
As for ducks, the nastier the weather the better! :)at least for Sophie.

You just have to be sure of what you're shooting at, that is your #1 priority as a hunter.;) For the record, I have never had to dig a hole in all the years I've been a hunter.

Heavy camouflage!!! Waterfowl can see like eagles! Make sure you don't/can't flash skin, teeth or eyes! Set up before dawn! I've often had waterfowl, especially ducks come in while I was setting out the dekes in the dark. Freeze!!! When they come whirring in and quietly plop down on the water around you, only a tiny silver wake visible from each duck. That's big magic, my friend!
Oh yeah, movement is even worse than flashing the above stuff! These guys are wary, man! Sure, get calls, but learn how, when, where to use them first. Recordings are a useful tool when learning. I like blinds! But, then I'm an equipment freak, love building and maintaining blinds etc! LEARN what you are hunting looks like.....exactly! Fish and Game and State Police are everywhere, and they have a very minimal sense of humor! I've seen a lot of guys pay for a $500.00 federal bird! Have fun! :) Oh yeah, again. If it's pleasant, sunny, with no wind, what waterfowlers call, "a bluebird day," go have a beer! Hunting will suck!

What do you guys dig a hole for?

Last Edited:
One of my oldest friends inherited over 200 acres on Sauvies Island, She's also an animal lover and try as I might, she won't budge on letting me hunt there.
Last year I was repairing a deck on the rental house and the geese were thick in the field right next to me. I could walk within 25 yds of them before they got skittish and flew out of the pond they were messing around in.

Heavy camouflage!!! Waterfowl can see like eagles! Make sure you don't/can't flash skin, teeth or eyes! Set up before dawn! I've often had waterfowl, especially ducks come in while I was setting out the dekes in the dark. Freeze!!! When they come whirring in and quietly plop down on the water around you, only a tiny silver wake visible from each duck. That's big magic, my friend!

Yes it is indeed!!! Few experience this feeling that you will NEVER forget.

Oh yeah, movement is even worse than flashing the above stuff! These guys are wary, man! Sure, get calls, but learn how, when, where to use them first. Recordings are a useful tool when learning. I like blinds! But, then I'm an equipment freak, love building and maintaining blinds etc! LEARN what you are hunting looks like.....exactly! Fish and Game and State Police are everywhere, and they have a very minimal sense of humor! I've seen a lot of guys pay for a $500.00 federal bird! Have fun! :) Oh yeah, again. If it's pleasant, sunny, with no wind, what waterfowlers call, "a bluebird day," go have a beer! Hunting will suck! How right you are Steve.

When I was hunting on my good friend Ricks place (God rest his soul) I developed a stalk technique for geese that are on the ground in the middle of my decoys, no I wasn't napping I was filling up his tractor with diesel fuel 50 yards away from the edge of the field. Anywho, we saw a small group land, we looked at each other and I said watch this..... I was in full length camo & I kept a big tree at my back, I would wait for them to start feeding again, then I took 2 or 3 steps & they'd turn to look my way. This went on for almost 30 minuets and when I felt I was close enough 30 yds, I pulled up, they flew & I dropped two of the three geese.... Rick was sitting on his tractor & was clapping & shaking his head.... Good times!!!

\

Hole digging refers to the clandestine disposal of unapproved bird kills.

To be clear, I don't dig holes.
That was just a playful theoretical suggestion offered as an admonition in jest from birders with more experience and savvy than I, emphasizing the serious need to know your game before the trigger is pulled.
Though I feel I am a very good shot and practice monthly, my vision, while good enough to identify goose from eagle, am hard put to identify shape and color nuances separating lessor geese from the Canadians flying over 40 yards high or coming in at 45 miles an hour in torrential downpours. (so to speak)
(main reason I switched to scopes on other game.)
Not having friend or guiding resource to identify them for me, I sadly leave the goose hunting to those more able, rather than forfeiture of my life for shooting the wrong bird!
Bad eyes sux.

^^ Even when my eyes were good it was hard to see color diff in the near dark. Gotta be careful for sure.

I haven't gone in many many years due to lack of dog. Got to where it is just so good to watch ducks fly and swoop and make calls to each other. Love it when the geesers fly over my house and land in the fields nearby. Good life in God's country!!!

I wouldn't have to leave home if I could shoot in town. I'm directly in the path when the geese are on the move, thousand in the course of the season, many flying very low when they are tired and looking for a bed and breakfast.
I timed them from my porch one time and figured If I hit them at just the right spot, they would drop right on the barbeque (likely destroy it though)

There is very little water on most of the island right now, so waders may not be necessary. I didn't see a ton of Geese moving labor day weekend, but it was pretty hot out there. I am a fan of size BB shot 1 3/8 oz moving at least 1400fps.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top