JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you can get in, Starlink is pretty damn amazing.

Some might consider it expensive, but that will change your mind once you realize you are using high speed internet in the middle of nowhere.

If you can get in, Starlink is pretty damn amazing.

Some might consider it expensive, but that will change your mind once you realize you are using high speed internet in the middle of nowhere.
I would love it. I am not going to ask for my deposit back until I move. As for expense - I pay $65 to $80 per month for ~6mbps and 200 GB - sometimes have to pay the extra $15 if I go over 200 GB, which I have been doing more often now that I am home all the time, watch more TV, etc.

So $100 per month for 20-50X that speed with no limit would be great!

If I could get it.

My parents uses Hughes Net satellite internet. Its stupid slow out in Monmouth but dad got it because they had vet discount and were also cheaper than Dish, Charter/Spectrum, MINet(Monmouth/Independence Network; formerly Qwest owned?) And CenturyLink. I need to contact Comcast in Corvallis and ask if they would be willing to provide service in Polk County/Monmouth "rural" area. Would rather keep Comcast plan until we can afford to cancel it.. but we'll see. Starlink or similar might not be a bad idea eventually if it enables me to get into high speed wifi pretty much anywhere.. a nicety for family camp trips where the toddler wants her ASL videos

From a friend in Northern Idaho using Starlink. Plenty fast.

View attachment 1053236
Respectfully, running SpeedTest on your phone will certainly tell you how fast your WiFi connection is, but isn't a good indicator of real network speed. My guess is that it's quite a bit faster than that. Plug into the router / switch with an ethernet cable, use a wired connection. Much better idea as to what's going on.

I got the starlink approval a few months ago, but then found out.

"Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.
Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing."
so i guess it doesnt work if i want to travel with it?

I got the starlink approval a few months ago, but then found out.

"Starlink satellites are scheduled to send internet down to all users within a designated area on the ground. This designated area is referred to as a cell.
Your Starlink is assigned to a single cell. If you move your Starlink outside of its assigned cell, a satellite will not be scheduled to serve your Starlink and you will not receive internet. This is constrained by geometry and is not arbitrary geofencing."
so i guess it doesnt work if i want to travel with it?
You will need to do an address change and hope that the new cell isn't full - if you move your residence.

It will eventually work outside your cell and eventually with a moving vehicle - they are working on different dishes for that purpose, and putting up new satellites with a laser interconnect. The laser interconnect allows data to go to whatever satellite has a ground station in sight to connect to. Newer dishes that will cost more, will work outside of a geofenced cell and different dishes will work while moving.

But don't hold your breath - it will be a while.

You will need to do an address change and hope that the new cell isn't full - if you move your residence.

It will eventually work outside your cell and eventually with a moving vehicle - they are working on different dishes for that purpose, and putting up new satellites with a laser interconnect. The laser interconnect allows data to go to whatever satellite has a ground station in sight to connect to. Newer dishes that will cost more, will work outside of a geofenced cell and different dishes will work while moving.

But don't hold your breath - it will be a while.
I was thinking more mobile like living on the road in a motorhome and be able to use satlink without an address. where when i stop for few days, just get the sat pointed in the right direction and locked on...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads