JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
On 29 November 1864 a force made of the Third Colorado Cavalry attacked the Southern Cheyenne Village of Chief Black Kettle and village of Left hand an Arapaho Chief.
130 + Indians were murdered , 105 were women and children.*
Many atrocities were committed by the Third Colorado upon the living and dead .
I will not go into details here...but one can find the contemporary reports which do , with a easy search.

I am posting this because this event is largely forgotten or brushed aside by those focused on "larger events"...those "larger events" both in the past and dare I say the present.
I am also posting this as a reminder that when :
Prejudice...
Hatred...
Slanted news and reports...
Broad "blanket statements" and assumptions...
Preconceived notions...
Combined with folks who are out for personal gain at any cost are allowed free rein....

Horrible things can happen...for those who say : "It can't happen here"... I say it already did...Many times over.
Once events like this are set in motion , it can be difficult to stop them...

When hearing of or being involved in events like this I can only hope to be like Captain Silas Soule and Lieutenant Joseph Cramer , rather than Colonel John Chivington.
Andy
* Thel numbers vary between 130 and 147 actual dead depending on the source used....the "AAR" given by Chivington was much higher and generally considered by historians as being padded or exaggerated.

155 years was a long time ago.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

1zg82l.jpg

If memory serves, it was Alexander the Great who said, "I fear not the army of lions led by a sheep, but greatly fear the army of sheep led by a lion."

Human nature doesn't change and over the last century Western Civilization has embraced the sheep as more virtuous than the lion. Where will this lead us?

P
How about My Lai then? March 16, 1968 a short 51 years ago.

Poor leadership and entropy and an unwillingness among subordinates to ask their leaders tough questions instead of just following orders.

If you think it cannot happen today, that is why we study these events- it can and most assuredly will happen again without due caution.

P
To me and my way of thinking 155 years is not a long time ago.
Others of course disagree.

Just a few years ago I sat with an Arapaho Elder who is a descendant of a survivor of Sand Creek...
We made a good connection because I knew of this event and was open to a respectful discussion of both sides of the issue.
Again for some folks , especially if it happened to your family tree...155 years ago ain't that long ago.

More to the point 155 years ago or not this is still relevant :

I am also posting this as a reminder that when :
Prejudice...
Hatred...
Slanted news and reports...
Broad "blanket statements" and assumptions...
Preconceived notions...
Combined with folks who are out for personal gain at any cost are allowed free rein....

Horrible things can happen...for those who say : "It can't happen here"... I say it already did...Many times over.
Once events like this are set in motion , it can be difficult to stop them...
Andy

After some more coffee and further thought...

As a amateur historian , it is bothersome to me , to hear folks dismiss the past , as if it doesn't matter , because of the passage of time.

To know where you come from , to try and understand the events of the past , is a key part of understanding the present.
The past and our experiences can indeed shape our mindset , no matter when that past or experience happened...
To learn from the past , to use our experiences , for our and others betterment , as a way of moving forward , is a worthy goal.

The past and its events can pave the road of the future...it is up to us if we wish that road to continue with the same direction and roadside attractions , so to speak.
Andy

Remember, government carry guns and ammo we supply. In my lifetime I have seen those be used multiple times against the people, especially younger people that stand up against authority.

The only thing I've seen that has an immediate affect to halt an overreacting manager of some government agency is multiple citizens with guns and a properly working media. Even then, that manager may try to get "even" with a parting shot, in current day America.

Entertaining reading of more recent events that have spiraled out of control. Use your google-fu.

1921- Battle of Blair Mountain- Mining Labor dispute. Machine guns and aircraft in use by mine owners. Feds step in. Miners lose and were prosecuted.

1946- Battle of Athens- Corrupt local politicians vs returning WW2 G.I.'s. G.I.'s won.

Hopefully my post was not too far off what you're hoping to achieve here, Andy. I'll gladly remove it if so.

Just felt that more recent events perpetrated by Americans might help some who'd take a dismissive approach to history, understand that long ago or not, humans are capable of terrible acts and Americans are no exception.

@Heyjoe

Your posts and thoughts are inline with my OP ...so no worries and thank you for posting.

To be honest , even posts and thoughts that ain't inline are welcome...as long as we have a respectful discussion...
To think beyond our first initial thoughts , to see and understand others , is part of what I want out of my postings.
Andy

History stands and speaks to us from every moment gone by, long moments past or seconds.... much like wisdom in the streets...and why does History find it necessary to keep repeating itself...? Nobody listened the first time...

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel Boorstin

Thinking we don't need to learn from others gone before, the making of assumptions, lazy thinking instead of critical thinking, preconceived notions, "it's the way we've always done it", blanket thinking... all fall under illusitory knowledge.
We are certainly afraid of what we do not know...and fear can lead to anger, and anger can violence...

Education about, understanding of, and an appreciation for other peoples and their:
cultures, time periods, events, races, beliefs, hardships, laws, enemies, values...etc....
would do much to mitigate (eliminate?) the prejudices that lurk in all our hearts.
Maybe as humans we can never fully depart from prejudice, but we can work to put checks and balances on it.

History stands and speaks to us from every moment gone by, long moments past or seconds.... much like wisdom in the streets...and why does History find it necessary to keep repeating itself...? Nobody listened the first time...

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Daniel Boorstin

Thinking we don't need to learn from others gone before, the making of assumptions, lazy thinking instead of critical thinking, preconceived notions, "it's the way we've always done it", blanket thinking... all fall under illusitory knowledge.
We are certainly afraid of what we do not know...and fear can lead to anger, and anger can violence...

Education about, understanding of, and an appreciation for other peoples and their:
cultures, time periods, events, races, beliefs, hardships, laws, enemies, values...etc....
would do much to mitigate (eliminate?) the prejudices that lurk in all our hearts.
Maybe as humans we can never fully depart from prejudice, but we can work to put checks and balances on it.

That is one of the most eloquent posts that I have ever read. Thank you!

October 27, 1838

"the Mormons must be treated as enemies, and must be exterminated or driven from the State if necessary for the public peace"
Executive Order 44
Lilburn Boggs, Governor of Missouri.

BTW, this order was finally rescinded in 1976 !

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top