JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I understand with regards to criminal-justice reform and I understand how our system isn't perfect. But I think we can all agree that individuals, particularly those who have been convicted felons, that are driving around possessing loaded firearms in our city is not a good thing," he said. "As we talk about gun control, and there are a lot of different issues, but let's start with enforcing those laws and holding those people accountable to the fullest extent that we can."
[Emphasis added by writer.]

What a concept !!!

:s0069:

Interested in LE's take on this question (paging @No_Regerts ... )

What would be the minimum probable cause to search for a possible illegal weapon? Would being a previously convicted felon while, let's say, being pulled over for speeding, be enough to check the person/vehicle to ensure they are not in possession of a weapon?

Or would the bar be set higher?

I ask in regard to the article and the statement of enforcing existing laws around who is not allowed to have a weapon and how, in practice, that might be carried out.

Thanks!

Interested in LE's take on this question (paging @No_Regerts ... )

What would be the minimum probable cause to search for a possible illegal weapon? Would being a previously convicted felon while, let's say, being pulled over for speeding, be enough to check the person/vehicle to ensure they are not in possession of a weapon?

Or would the bar be set higher?

I ask in regard to the article and the statement of enforcing existing laws around who is not allowed to have a weapon and how, in practice, that might be carried out.

Thanks!

From my point of view, this is more of a question of:

1: Are prosecutors not proceeding with referrals? Why? Are they plea bargaining out of gun charges?

2: Are referrals being thrown out due to violations of the guy's rights? Unlawful search/seizure?

If a gun was in plain sight and there is PC for contact, should be golden. To search, at least in WA, if the felon was on probation, you could notify the PO to do a search but you'd have to have reasonable suspicion. Otherwise? Consent to search or a warrant. Most found weapons are incident to another reason for contact.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top