JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, that must be it. It scares me.

There are ranges that allow that type of practice. And of the ranges I frequent where I see people in this area practicing that type of drill I understand why. They need all the practice they can get.

Some of us enjoy a nice outdoor range where we can leisurely enjoy our hobby. If taking a few seconds between shots is horrible, then I'm glad there are ranges that allow you to play Quick Draw McGraw.

Nothing wrong with a few seconds between shots.

It's just not good training for a defensive shooter. Neither is a nice, safe weapon, empty on the bench with its slide locked back.

I took my instructor training at Kenmore. I've taught at Kenmore, Wade's, Champion and West Coast Armory.

The safety rules and everything else are different at Kenmore from every other range I've taught at.

Differing experiences then. Kenmore's rules aren't much different from other outdoor ranges I've shot at. There are some that are more liberal in terms of activity (Fernan Rod and Gun, Spokane Rifle, Plantation, etc.) but I've found Kenmore to be closer to the norm of others I've been to.

They prohibit holster work and defensive drills. (Double taps, which yes, are done fast enough to scare them. And you, apparently.)

By prohibiting "rapid fire", (their term) they've also prevented multiple target (dot) drills.

The bottom line is that defensive pistol shooters don't go to Kenmore. Because that is, apparently, the way Kenmore wants it.

There's always Wade's.

As for Kenmore, apparently their rules are OK with a few thousand Members and a whole bunch of public shooters. Can't please everyone.

When they have what I want, it's a great price. Got a new S&W 642 there that was $60 less than what Cabelas wanted for it. Generally DSG wants $50 less, but Sam's is even lower. I shoot there regularly cause it's close to work. I had a rifle re-barreled at the gunsmith there. Good job and quick.

How long has that been, though? Admittedly the past couple of times I've gone there the gun shop was closed (Monday) and they didn't appear to still be stocking anything - this was almost a couple of months ago. Did the sale/purchase finally go through to where they're starting to stock merch again?

My 642 purchase was in January or Febuary. The shop was a little thin then. They said they were selling everything out before the new owner took over. So it's looking like they're closing for good?
Crap. I still think they had the cheapest new prices around. I also picked up a Howa 1500 in .243 from them for my son.
It'll suck not having that range there for a quick freshen up.

Buddy of mine shot at the range last weekend, and is trying to get a couple of us to go to the range this coming weekend. He didn't know if they stopped allowing rifles as well, but didn't sound like much has changed - except the range is open and that's about the only thing of note. Every time he's gone the store has been closed.

There's always Wade's.

As for Kenmore, apparently their rules are OK with a few thousand Members and a whole bunch of public shooters. Can't please everyone.

I've been to Kenmore 2 times a couple of years ago and it is doubtful that I would ever go back. The one round in a magazine is stupid. Even worse is the amount of time between cease fire. Both times I was there it was anywhere between 30 and 50 minutes. Do you know what a target looks like after it has been shot for 50 minutes? (especially since I was trying to zero my new AR). Heck, never mind the target - I think I developed a Popeye size thumb from dropping the mag that many times.

I think it's been said before, but they don't give you any grief for loading up a magazine and putting a decent amount of space/time between shots. I find that 2-3 seconds between rounds is normally plenty for the guys at Kenmore to never give me any grief. If you want to pop off a bunch of rounds in rapid succession, you can probably still do that up at Sultan Basin Road.

I've been to Kenmore 2 times a couple of years ago and it is doubtful that I would ever go back. The one round in a magazine is stupid. Even worse is the amount of time between cease fire. Both times I was there it was anywhere between 30 and 50 minutes. Do you know what a target looks like after it has been shot for 50 minutes? (especially since I was trying to zero my new AR). Heck, never mind the target - I think I developed a Popeye size thumb from dropping the mag that many times.

The policy is for far more frequent cease fires than 50 minutes. Bring it up with the Rangemaster or call the range management at 425-481-8686 and complain. Of course one could also get a membership there. After orientation and application for "Special Use" they can get a key to the gate and shoot anytime from 9:01 AM to Dusk (range is only closed three days per year). For pistol shooters that means they can also shoot Monday through Thursday as the pistol range is only open to the public Friday-Sunday from Noon.

Considering the range fees at the other ranges, the $125 membership and $5 for the gate kee is a good deal. There is a $200 "initiation fee" but you never pay that again if you keep your membership current.

When I shoot during "Member Hours", I get to be my own Range Master (you still have to follow the rules though).

Then they don't need the rule. That makes the rule "anti" logic.

And I can't help but wonder how you know this.

Not much to wonder about. Read through this thread - pretty sure I said before that it's how I've shot there multiple times and not been given any grief. They don't want the "rock 'n' rollers" up there, which is understandable. People don't like it, they can shoot somewhere else. I've had nothing but good experiences at Kenmore.

The only time I've seen them give anyone grief is if the person was acting blatantly against rules and generally conducting themselves like a dbag. They have an unspoken dbag rule, which I also have no problem with.

Yup, that's what I thought. You break the rules.

So, to recap, you're saying one thing, (that these particular rules are good things) and doing another. (Breaking them.) The range supports you in these actions. When someone says one thing and does another, I always believe the actions, not the words.

Personally, when I join a range, I find out what the rules are, I agree to follow them and then I keep my word.

I'm not sure you have standing to refer to some other person as a "dbag".

Kenmore is not the place to go if you're a defensive shooter. It's also, apparently, not the place to go unless you like selective enforcement of rules, or if you intend to follow rules.

Sonicblue, your advocacy on behalf of Kenmore demonstrates more clearly than I ever could what is wrong with Kenmore.

For that, we all thank you.

Yup, that's what I thought. You break the rules.

So, to recap, you're saying one thing, (that these particular rules are good things) and doing another. (Breaking them.) The range supports you in these actions. When someone says one thing and does another, I always believe the actions, not the words.

Personally, when I join a range, I find out what the rules are, I agree to follow them and then I keep my word.

I'm not sure you have standing to refer to some other person as a "dbag".

Kenmore is not the place to go if you're a defensive shooter. It's also, apparently, not the place to go unless you like selective enforcement of rules, or if you intend to follow rules.

Sonicblue, your advocacy on behalf of Kenmore demonstrates more clearly than I ever could what is wrong with Kenmore.

For that, we all thank you.

Your lack of attendance there is the kindest thanks you could give me. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews