JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well I got a bit of a pickle going on. I not so recently (8 months ago) picked up a Browning 1st Gen T-bolt .22 that I was planning on giving to my grandson for his 10th birthday. I had not ever heard of salt stocks (I think I may have but just forgot) but guess what? ....... > I got one.

The gun looked great and the wood is just beautiful walnut. I actually took the stock off and found it was starting to rust under there. It is in 2 pieces now, wood and metal. Most visible metal is ok, with just a touch of crud where it meets the wood at the breech end of the barrel.

It seems like there is no fix for the wood, so I am going to have to restock it. Is there anybody with recommendations for a local (NW) stockmaker? Anyone here on NWFA do stockmaking ? Does any one online sell stocks for old T-bolts? I only found 1 and it was all adjustable cheekpiece and such. Not looking for show quality either, just a nice serviceable stock. Maple or myrtle would be nice but anything except walnut is on the menu. I want the kid and anybody else to know it has been restocked, to put some value back in it.

I probably overpaid given that it is a salt gun. It was 399. The condition looked good and as I said the wood was gorgeous. I guess I paid the stupid tax. Just glad it wasn't a 4000 dollar shotgun. Ban a-salt guns!

Last Edited:
I had to look it up. Seems Morton salt helped in the quick curing of the wood by using a brineing solution. There is more info, but I'm more interested in bumping this to see if you can find a stock or stockmaker. Your granndson needs the rifle. :D

We have many good stock guys here in Idaho, both blank suppliers and finishers. I know a fair amount about the salt wood issue owning many Browning guns. I am curious if some sort of resin applied to the bedding of the original stock would mitigate the problem. It would isolate the wood from the metal.

I also own a Belgium made T-bolt that was made in the 1960's. I just took the action out of the stock and it does appear to have some sort of resin on the stock. There is no rust on the barrel or the action.

The salt wood issue has been well defined by date of manufacture if anyone is interested in if there guns have it. I don't have the dates in my head but the Browning website used to have a very definitive article on it. All my Brownings predate the use of the wood (that came from a supplier in California) but the information is out there.

I have researched and most are of the opinion that while it may be ok for a bit, it will return and damage the metal eventually. The walnut I have is nicely figured and I have considered treatments of some sort, but I do not want further erosion. I will just keep them separated for now until I can find a suitable replacement.
Maybe the miracle of modern technology could present a cure, I don't know. Nothing wrong with a nice new piece of maple either.
Thanks for the help guys.

C0D7FD60-0336-409A-A906-67AAFA860E8C.jpeg My buddy Chris here in Weiser has an incredible selection of blanks along with some of the original Fajen pantograph machines and hundreds of pattern stocks. He can carve a stock from your original. His number is 208-484-4684, he is also the manufacturer of the Idaho spud truck.

The salt wood issue has been well defined by date of manufacture if anyone is interested in if there guns have it. I don't have the dates in my head but the Browning website used to have a very definitive article on it. All my Brownings predate the use of the wood (that came from a supplier in California) but the information is out there.
1966-1969 is when they were made, but it was possible to get salt wood until 1972 (in much fewer numbers of course). They got rid of leftovers eventually and just returned to the traditional kiln dried(?) wood.

If you epoxy coat the bed of the stock no way will it travel through the epoxy to reattack the metal. You could do 2-3 coats of automotive Epoxy sealer and be done with it.

Argonaut does your buddy have a web site to look at?
Yes.......but I can't remember what it is.......will look it up. He purchased several of the Northern California stock makers after they went out of busisness. Give him a call........but I will look it up too. Walnut grove Gunstock's. He also sells some magnificent large slabs. Tell him you talked to Dave Wright.

Thank you Dave. I checked the web site but did not find any T-bolt stocks. And sadly it says that he is not accepting any custom work as of January 2018. I will give a phone call regardless. Much appreciated.
Love that spud truck!

Thank you Dave. I checked the web site but did not find any T-bolt stocks. And sadly it says that he is not accepting any custom work as of January 2018. I will give a phone call regardless. Much appreciated.
Love that spud truck!
He can carve one using yours as a pattern with his pantograph. It follows the outline of your stock while carving a new blank to match it. It will need final inletting by a craftsman by hand for a perfect fit.

Well I got a bit of a pickle going on. I not so recently (8 months ago) picked up a Browning 1st Gen T-bolt .22 that I was planning on giving to my grandson for his 10th birthday. I had not ever heard of salt stocks (I think I may have but just forgot) but guess what? ....... > I got one.

The gun looked great and the wood is just beautiful walnut. I actually took the stock off and found it was starting to rust under there. It is in 2 pieces now, wood and metal. Most visible metal is ok, with just a touch of crud where it meets the wood at the breech end of the barrel.

It seems like there is no fix for the wood, so I am going to have to restock it. Is there anybody with recommendations for a local (NW) stockmaker? Anyone here on NWFA do stockmaking ? Does any one online sell stocks for old T-bolts? I only found 1 and it was all adjustable cheekpiece and such. Not looking for show quality either, just a nice serviceable stock. Maple or myrtle would be nice but anything except walnut is on the menu. I want the kid and anybody else to know it has been restocked, to put some value back in it.

I probably overpaid given that it is a salt gun. It was 399. The condition looked good and as I said the wood was gorgeous. I guess I paid the stupid tax. Just glad it wasn't a 4000 dollar shotgun. Ban a-salt guns!

Google, DES/TSD. That is Dennis Smith, The Stock Doctor. He is as good as it gets. He will be able to help.
Best,
Gary

I checked it out but I am afraid the price range is a bit on the high side. No doubt that is some beautiful work, but $4000 to start, without the cost of the wood, is prohibitive for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top