JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@dirtysteve, I'm so sorry to hear that your father passed away :(. He was a regular contributor and valuable member of our community, and his loss will be felt by all.

Next time I shoot, I will send some rounds downrange in his memory/honor.

Thank you for taking the time to share this news with us. My deepest sympathies and my prayers to you, your mother and the rest of your family at this very difficult time.
I too will send some down range for your dad

Moved to "off topic" as it's one of the most viewed sections here. Man, I'm tired of good people leaving this planet. I hate to even think about John's passing. Strangely, I hope when my time is up I go in my sleep as well. He was a good man and didn't suffer. There isn't a member here that didn't know his screen name or never read his posts.

Geez......I keep hoping I'll click on "new posts" and see him here.......

THREAD STUCK.

Here is a conversation John sent to me on June 24th 2016:

Jim, I was just looking at your splicing gear- your an old dyed in the wool tip/ring guy!
I've been in the trade for around 40 yrs aIs a contractor and worked all over the NW. How have we not met? A man that loves to fish AND a splicer, baffling.
A few old icky pick covered splicers I've had the pleasure to work with whose names may ring a bell, Mike Linderman, Mike&Nancy Tessendorf, Jim Eddings,,, great splicers all of them.
I'm so close to retiring I can taste it Jim. I started out as a contract lineman @ 19 and have worked all the aspects this industry has thrown at me,,, enjoyed 'almost' all of it.
Not sure if we've met, but we should/could have.
John Profitt,, tight lines old boy!

My reply:

Well John, we may have met at one time or another somewhere.
When I first came up to the PNW back in 86 I contracted to GTE in Wenatchee during the 40 hour week then worked a unit job in Hayden lake, Idaho on the weekends.
Then to where the good unit jobs were (California & Oregon) Washington sucked for hourly wages...
AT&T had west coast college contracts & were the good money jobs.
Fresno state, UO, Oregon state to name a few then off to Boeing in the Seattle area for 4 years.
If you worked in any of those places we might have met.
It's a small world where you have a new hire say "I knew you down in California when your crew was working those big $$$$$ jobs & couldn't get on with your crew"....
Yeah, i cut my teeth on paper cable & lead sleeves. Hell, I just sold some of my old tools last weekend...

2 months later:

John, hows things going? One of these days I'm going to make a trip down to the Oregun coast & let you take me fishin!!!!:D:D:D
Just looking over some old PM's (conversations)....:eek:

His reply:

Jim, I'm actually heading down to fern ridge lake tomorrow after fishing.
If you'd like Jim, you'd be welcome to come up and shoot here at my place.
I won't be here Saturday, but my son (also a member here) lives on the 10 acres below me and I'm sure he would have no issues showing you where to shoot on the property?

This was the kind of guy John was, he'd give you the shirt off his back & then apologize that it was the wrong color plaid. I'm gonna miss out on his friendship but I will always remember him as such an awesome guy.
RIP brother John.

Last Edited:
Here is a conversation John sent to me on June 24th 2016:

Jim, I was just looking at your splicing gear- your an old dyed in the wool tip/ring guy!
I've been in the trade for around 40 yrs aIs a contractor and worked all over the NW. How have we not met? A man that loves to fish AND a splicer, baffling.
A few old icky pick covered splicers I've had the pleasure to work with whose names may ring a bell, Mike Linderman, Mike&Nancy Tessendorf, Jim Eddings,,, great splicers all of them.
I'm so close to retiring I can taste it Jim. I started out as a contract lineman @ 19 and have worked all the aspects this industry has thrown at me,,, enjoyed 'almost' all of it.
Not sure if we've met, but we should/could have.
John Profitt,, tight lines old boy!

My reply:

Well John, we may have met at one time or another somewhere.
When I first came up to the PNW back in 86 I contracted to GTE in Wenatchee during the 40 hour week then worked a unit job in Hayden lake, Idaho on the weekends.
Then to where the good unit jobs were (California & Oregon) Washington sucked for hourly wages...
AT&T had west coast college contracts & were the good money jobs.
Fresno state, UO, Oregon state to name a few then off to Boeing in the Seattle area for 4 years.
If you worked in any of those places we might have met.
It's a small world where you have a new hire say "I knew you down in California when your crew was working those big $$$$$ jobs & couldn't get on with your crew"....
Yeah, i cut my teeth on paper cable & lead sleeves. Hell, I just sold some of my old tools last weekend...

2 months later:

John, hows things going? One of these days I'm going to make a trip down to the Oregun coast & let you take me fishin!!!!:D:D:D
Just looking over some old PM's (conversations)....:eek:

His reply:

Jim, I'm actually heading down to fern ridge lake tomorrow after fishing.
If you'd like Jim, you'd be welcome to come up and shoot here at my place.
I won't be here Saturday, but my son (also a member here) lives on the 10 acres below me and I'm sure he would have no issues showing you where to shoot on the property?

This was the kind of guy John was, he's give you the shirt off his back & then apologize that it was the wrong color plaid. I'm gonna miss out on his friendship but I will always remember him as such an awesome guy.
RIP brother John.

RIP @salmonriverjohn , NWFA will NOT be the same without you, Sir.

It's sometimes said, that the true measure of a man is in the fond memories, selfless acts, inspiration, and fellowship he leaves behind for his family and friends...
...They will certainly mourn his passing, but will revere his memory.

(Though from what I've read, fish may have a different take on things!)

Wow, I am at a loss for words. The measure of a man is not his wealth or his acomishments, it's the life he lived and what he leaves behind for others, I know John was one of the best and he will be missed greatly, I did not know him personally, but he was a great member and some one I would be glad to call friend, I will miss him! Love and peace to John's family

You know, with the anonymity of the internet, it's easy to forget that there are real people on here. I always liked Salmonriverjohn posting proud pictures of his kids. It brought some humanity and a personal touch to this place.

That will be missed:(

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads