JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've heard reports about salmonfly on the Deschutes. Not that it needs any more publicity. Can anyone in the maupin area confirm, or deny this?!?!?!

Just makes me all the happier i took the risk and rented a room for next week!

Anyone have a pattern they would like to share?
Or just express your excitement? Haha

I used to fly fish the D multiple times a year.
Was never very good at it, always enjoyed the trip regardless.

Finally discovered I'd rather sit next to the stream reading ABOUT fly fishing, than actually DO it.

Odd, I know.

Good luck.

Yeah, supposedly the new water regulating system has helped start it early. Maybe the report is just trying to get tourism started early. LoL

Not too weird, especially when you consider who started the whole fly fishing gig.

Thanks, I usually catch a few fish a day. :)

I would swing a Corkey headed scud or shrimp pattern on a heavy weighted leader and fish it by feel. Probably best to use a two handed heavy rod, ether a 8 wt switch, or a full Spey!!!

The hatch should be a bit later than usual, only a bit though. I'd shoot for the 3rd, maybe 4th week of May to hit it. I've done well with dropping either a dry or a wet off a golden stone or salmonfly pattern. Drop a dark stonefly where the rocks are steep and its hard to make it down to the river.

Yeah, that sounds like uncle fuzzy's way of approaching the Deschutes. Blue copper johns in 18 work well with pupae patterns too. I'll probably hit it again then, but I've been late going at that time and find more people than fish. I'll check back in with a report.

I haven't fished the area in a while, but I couldn't resist making a cast here. I've had great luck using a Kaufman Stone Fly nymph weighted so heavily it nearly didn't bounce when dropped. "Lobbed" upstream and bounced down (Corky indicator). I used a Sage 9' 7wt with a WF line with no problems. North of Maupin at RS. Next week should be good, even if you can't use a Stone, I would think.

I'll check some spots out. Caught some nice fish between Maupin and Mecca. Last year the crowds made me want to move on to lake fishing, or at least wait until mid-June when they start higher up. LoL

I'm just unlucky with stone nymphs, I always catch them on the dropper pupae. Then again I'm best at wet swings, but you probably guessed that already.

Nymph show! Next weekend should be good, the weekend after will be prime.
Holdover smolts are abundant, some up to 18".

I was hoping that the hatch would have been earlier, like it has been in recent years. Didn't account for the snowmelt.
Still a really crowded river...

Bead Head Nymphs should be doing pretty good right now. I'm going to be up the end of this month and will be making the trip to the mouth and see what there is to see, should be pretty good,, might be able to pull a Chownuk outta there on a X-9 flat fish chrome and chartreuse!

I thought that season was closed this year? Better check the regs, adjust accordingly and hope for the best. I'm debating if it's worth fighting the crowds again or if I should start my coastal fishing early. Maybe I'll compromise and hit the late cascade emergence. Gotta get my big yellow bug fix.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top