JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pit #3 as I drove past Saturday morning. Yes, that tree was gunned down.

Some trash along the berm and pink 12ga shells everywhere. Probably would have been worse if it weren't for the standing water.

I'd like to be there observing when they keep posting targets on that bigger tree on the left (in your photo) when it comes down on their vehicle... I will laugh my asss off. Oh the irony of shooting at a tree till it falls.... cant fix stupid.

I'm a new member here, and new to Oregon, having moved here from Illinois. Outdoor shooting was one of the big reasons for moving (mountains and northwest weather being the others).

Anyway, I've been to Salmonberry road twice, once in January and once in February. I was shooting at the first turnout , the one with standing water.

Both times I packed out two big garbage bags of trash, which included a shot up coffee maker, tons of plastic bottles, tons of clay targets, a computer keyboard, unidentified electronics, beer cans, beer bottles, 40oz bottles, etc etc. Also, someone really likes using pink shotshells.

A couple of questions:
Does anyone have any tips on picking up brass and trash on the snow? Do you guys have any specific tools you like to use?

Also, the second time I was shooting around 9-10am on a weekday, two separate vehicles stopped in the road and watched me for like 15 seconds. Kind of creeped me out. Is there some kind of etiquette in these situations? I just stared back.....

Alex

Hi Alex, and welcome to the forum. Good to have another 'responsible' gun owner on board with us! Thanks for picking up what you could. That's what all of us should do each time we go out.

Check out the Community Outreach section for info on clean ups and Target Shooting Information Programs in your area. Next clean up in Tillamook State Forest is coming up the end of next month. Hope you can make it.

Brass in the snow... A magnet works sometimes because the primers are metal.

Cogs

I'm a new member here, and new to Oregon, having moved here from Illinois. Outdoor shooting was one of the big reasons for moving (mountains and northwest weather being the others).

Anyway, I've been to Salmonberry road twice, once in January and once in February. I was shooting at the first turnout , the one with standing water.

Both times I packed out two big garbage bags of trash, which included a shot up coffee maker, tons of plastic bottles, tons of clay targets, a computer keyboard, unidentified electronics, beer cans, beer bottles, 40oz bottles, etc etc. Also, someone really likes using pink shotshells.

A couple of questions:
Does anyone have any tips on picking up brass and trash on the snow? Do you guys have any specific tools you like to use?

Also, the second time I was shooting around 9-10am on a weekday, two separate vehicles stopped in the road and watched me for like 15 seconds. Kind of creeped me out. Is there some kind of etiquette in these situations? I just stared back.....

Alex

Most of what I find is not brass but cheaper steel cased ammo so a magnetic pickup tool works great for these. most of the shot shells also have some magnetic metal and can be picked up as well
http://www.harborfreight.com/long-reach-magnetic-pickup-tool-with-quick-release-93950.html

Those stopping might be trying to determine if you are leaving or not. I just wave at everyone.
Someone did the same thing when I was checking out Lousignont rd for the clean up I waved and they stopped. It was just a family wanting to shoot.

Also consider joining us for the next cleanup, The next Tillamook forestdate might change since Cogs and I both cant make that date

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/clean-up-schedule-2016.213501/

Also, take a picture of the 3 bags of garbage you pick up and you get Bronze membership here

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top